Zenith ZHD-TV1 Antenna

Deuce

Original poster
May 8, 2004
I've read a lot of good things about the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna, both on this site and many others. I've yet to find a single review of someone having a poor experience.

I'd like to hook up an off-air antenna to my 811 to pick up HD locals out of Detroit. All of the channels that I want are 166 to 174 degrees and 22 to 26 miles from my house and all within the UHF band. There are no trees blocking the view at those angles for about 200 yards. According to antennaweb.org, I should be using a roof-mounted "blue" zone antenna.

Even though this antenna does not meet the requirements provided by antennaweb.org, I have read reviews that people are picking up HD channels 30 to 40 miles away with this antenna.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this would work well for my application? Thanks in advance.

It all depends on how close you are to the towers and how strong a signal they have.

I got one of my channels nice and strong, but the other wouldn't come in at all with the Silver Sensor (although I can now get it using the Radio Shack "pizza dish" amplified antenna).

I tried the silver sensor and was able to get a great signal on a couple of locals in Central NJ. I didn't keep it just because I need an antenna that's going to give me a few more channels. I will probably have to mount somthing on my roof. But I definately say go pick one up at Sears and try it out. If it doesn't work, they will take it back; no problem.

chunchma said:
I tried the silver sensor and was able to get a great signal on a couple of locals in Central NJ. I didn't keep it just because I need an antenna that's going to give me a few more channels. I will probably have to mount somthing on my roof. But I definately say go pick one up at Sears and try it out. If it doesn't work, they will take it back; no problem.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try and see what happens. I was going to order it online, but since it may not work for me, I'll purchase it locally so that I can take it back if things don't pan out.

I picked up a Philips amplified antenna for $16 at walmart and I get 90% signal. This is a small internal antenna and the cost couldn't be beat. I am about 32 miles from the transmission station...

I went to Best Buy today to pick up a Silver Sensor. They didn't have any, so I grabbed a Terk HDTVi Antenna Pro instead. Same retail price, but the Terk has VHF dipoles as well as UHF array.

I'm getting all the Detroit HD local channels at 80% or better signal strength. The picture looks great coming through the 811 and I've integrated the channels into the Program Guide. Working beautifully so far.

On the Terk box, it says "High gain picks up further stations." Does anyone know what the actual gain is? I can't find it in the user manual. Also, would an in-line amp help me at all?

Thanks.

Deuce said:
I'm getting all the Detroit HD local channels at 80% or better signal strength. The picture looks great coming through the 811 and I've integrated the channels into the Program Guide. Working beautifully so far.

On the Terk box, it says "High gain picks up further stations." Does anyone know what the actual gain is? I can't find it in the user manual. Also, would an in-line amp help me at all?

Thanks.

If you are getting all your stations at 80% of better, I wouldn't bother with an inline amp. It might actually make things worse. (amplify multipath to the point you get the dreaded "49%" error).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)