Zero Quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tregletasu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Georgia
Installed SV-HD8000 with Invacom QPH-031 LNB, EMP centauri quad switch, SG2100 motor and 30" dish and I am new to FTA, thus please educate me gently.
While using "dish settings" of menu I can see many satellites that have a signal strength of 60 and better (i still have to fine tune the alignment) but ALL satellites show zero quality signal. Is my receiver defective?

Is my receiver defective?

no...chances are your motor/dish are not setup/aimed correctly...

the signal "S" does not really mean much, that just means you have a good connection to your dish...you could aim your dish into the ground and still get a good signal reading...

the quality "Q" is whats important...this is what tells you if you are aimed good and receiving signals from the satellite...

what process did you use to install your motor/dish assembly?...motor setups can be tricky especially for a beginner...the first and most important part is you need to make sure your mounting post is 100% LEVEL and i mean not even one degree off i can not stress this enough...

on a side note...a 30 inch dish i would consider on the small side for receiving ku-band linear sats...

I agree I didn't start simple but usually I can solve technical issues.
The pole is perfect vertical. I am at latitude 33.97 and I set the motor bracket accordingly (34), the motor manual list for this latitude a dish bracket angel of 24.5 which I applied. I don't know anything else I can do at the dish site.
I scanned E to W and back step by step and also continues but I never get the lightest signal on Q. When I scan in the menu through the programmed satellites some show zero signal; I mention this because you said I would see a signal even aiming at the ground. Also, I noticed that there is random orange blinking at the motor when it is not moving? When I power the receiver off there is still power at the motor? Do you have any advice?:confused:

I scanned E to W and back step by step and also continues but I never get the lightest signal on Q
The Quality Meter is not a "Satellite" signal indicator, it lights up only if the Transponder in the Setup menu is Active.
Start at your True South Satellite, find a known Active Transponder in the Setup menu
Drive Motor back to Zero
Check that you have to correct LNB Settings entered into the Receiver for the Satellite you are aiming for.

If you can list:
Your location, approx Long and Lat
Which Sat you are aiming for
What you have entered in the Setup Menu, LNB Freq, TP, Switch, Motor
Which LNB port you have the cable connected to, "C" or "L"

I mention this because you said I would see a signal even aiming at the ground. Also,

signal reading (S) and quality reading (Q) are two COMPLETELY seperate beasts...i said you will get a SIGNAL reading if you aim your dish at the ground, not quality...signal is not very important as long as its above 50...

you will get a QUALITY reading when you are aimed properly...what is your longitude?

This is to answer both replies.
To Mikey11: I am at longitude -84.3. I believe you misunderstood my reply. I understand clearly now that S and Q are independent signals. I meant to say some programmed satellites in the menu of HD8000 will show zero S.

To Lak7: I tried the following menu entries AMC3 (87w) NIMQ (91w) Galaxy (91w) Intelsat (93w). With each entree I went through all offered LNB types. Further I removed the quad switch and connected either "C" or "L" directly but whatever I tried I never got a Q signal.:(
Is there any test I can do to verify the HD8000 is in order?

I meant to say some programmed satellites in the menu of HD8000 will show zero S.

this will happen if you select a transponder that your LNB is not capable of receiving...

make sure pole is level...do factory default on receiver...run an RG6 from receiver direct to motor...run an RG6 directly from motor to LNB "C" port (NO SWITCH FOR NOW)...make sure latitude scale on motor is set to your latitude and never change this...

turn on receiver and go into the dish settings menu and select nimiq 82w (i realize no FTA there just use it for aiming purposes)...select TP 12224...select USALS in the motor menu and enter in your digits...tell the motor to drive to that satellite position...

go outside and look at the motors pointer it should be slightly off the "0" mark...now is when you aim your dish at 82w...when adjusting horizontally you move the entire motor/dish assembly on the pole...when you adjust vertically you move the dish ONLY...NOT the motor...

try peaking in the signal QUALITY for 82w and get back to me and we will go from there...

Well, there is good and bad news, I believe.
I followed your instructions (at hellish temperatures) and didn't find a signal from NIMIQ (82) or any other satellite in the south but through scanning E to W I found Echostar 7 at 119 W AS THE ONLY SOURCE ANYWHERE.
But after I scanned this satellite (which is encrypted I guess) I receive "channel change error" at the receiver, no memory error, rebooting. I cannot change to DTV the only thing I can see is "Troubleshooting Dish Network". I am more and more convinced my receiver isn't working properly. Do you think my receiver is faulty?

However, I reversed back to my original wiring which is rather elaborate and long having 12 connections and I can still see Echostar with Q=95.

Addendum:
In satellite search when I set motor to USALS and select "go to satellite position" the motor doesn't move, wen I select "go to reference" the dish goes all the way east? I can control the dish correctly with going E or W under "motor".

Well, there is good and bad news, I believe.
I followed your instructions (at hellish temperatures) and didn't find a signal from NIMIQ (82) or any other satellite in the south but through scanning E to W I found Echostar 7 at 119 W AS THE ONLY SOURCE ANYWHERE.
But after I scanned this satellite (which is encrypted I guess) I receive "channel change error" at the receiver, no memory error, rebooting. I cannot change to DTV the only thing I can see is "Troubleshooting Dish Network". I am more and more convinced my receiver isn't working properly. Do you think my receiver is faulty?

However, I reversed back to my original wiring which is rather elaborate and long having 12 connections and I can still see Echostar with Q=95.

if you are following my instructions and you are picking up 119w then you are aiming WAY TOO FAR WEST!!

Just a suggestion-- are your Lat and lang reversed in your location/motor setup? common mistake.

This is a silly comment perhaps but I am sure you entered your long and latt correct into your receiver since when you select the "go to sat position" does not move and then when you put in :go to reference " it goes all the way east.
Also when you where doing your search east and west did you blind scan at every step or at least have a know live transporter at each location?
Fine tuning a motorize system can be tricky .

I agree and I know that but that's the only signal I can find!!!
What about the " Channel change error"?

Not sure about the SV-HD8000 but my Fortec will do strange things if the memory gets low in it once in a while I have to remove some of the transporters not in use. Did you buy the receiver new from a dealer or was it from ebay or somewhere else with a bunch of stuff in it?
I would recommend if nothing else forget about the motor for now just go from the lnbf to the receiver and just align the dish to your true south satellite and align it there .
I am sure by now that you know that even about 1/8 inch off can cause you troubles.

motor/receiver setuo

I searched manual and menu of SV HD8000 but found no setup that enables input of long and lat. The only thing I found under "user options" I can select state and city!? Is there anything else?

You should have options to set up motor control for each satellite, check all the menus. There will be a place somewhere to enter your long/lat, if not it will be using whatever default numbers are in it for location. That would be enough to make the motor go crazy as most of the receivers are made on the other side of the world. Also, there will likely be more than one choice for motor control, use the arrow buttons to scroll back/forth =I'd choose USALS to run the motor. Far as channel change error, I've seen that someplace before, perhaps a Search on the forum here will turn up more info on your receiver. Did you buy it new from a dealer or from an auction site? Knowing what firmware is running in the box might help.

edit: Here's a link to the review posted in our reviews section:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-equipment-reviews/171384-review-sonicview-sv-hd8000.html
Might find something helpful there, its 14 pages long.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with this receiver but upon a quick read of the manual from th
moz-screenshot.png
is site this mighy help
moz-screenshot-3.png
moz-screenshot-4.png
moz-screenshot-5.png
moz-screenshot-6.png
Section 2.10 Signal
Item #2 You can control DiSEqC or USALS setting here.

moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Sorry my cut and paste did not work

I am not familiar with this receiver but upon a quick read of the manual from this site this mighy help
Section 2.10 Signal
Item #2 You can control DiSEqC or USALS setting here.

Melbfla, thanks for this lead; I could set long & lat and motor works as it should.
BUT I can find Echostar 7 at 119 W only, no other satellite gives a Q value regardless what I try. Also, after I scan & save channels form Echostar 7 I get "channel change error" and can't switch to any channel including DTV. I perform a factory reset on receiver and start all over but outcome is always the same. I contacted the supplier (I bought it new from authorized dealer) since I believe this unit is defective.:(
Any other suggestion?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts