1.2 meter KU dish needed, Mid Michigan area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
Anybody got a Primestar or equivalent 1.2 meter dish close to the Mid-Michigan area that they want to get rid of reasonably cheap $, or maybe a trade for something?

I already have a 1 meter Primestar with a SatAV PLL lnb, but I need a tad more signal level and I can't put up a dish larger than say 1.2m max in this particular spot even if I had something larger than a 1 meter.

I'd love a SatAV 1.2m dish, but no way am I paying $240 for one because of the high shipping costs.

Look in the For sale section on here on member in michgan selling his satellite dishes I think it Pixl I seen the pics.

Dan Rose

Keep an eye on the Craiglist Dish thread over in the C-band department.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/281719-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal
I see outstanding gems go by regularly.
There were some 1.2's just last week, though I don't recall where.

I read it religiously! Unfortunately, out of all the pages of that thread, almost none of the dishes are in Michigan. I check my local ads all the time, and I've never seen a 1.2m on there. It's very rare for anybody in Michigan to give a dish away for free or very cheap. Even if they are up 40 feet on a pole, and it would cost $500 just to drop the thing, they still want to get paid. It used to happen years ago with the Primestars, but I've never seen a 1.2m Primestar around my area. 84E's and a few 1 meters, that's all they used for 50 miles around. Now there may be some on car dealerships and the like, but none of them went out of business anywhere close to me.

I'm leaning towards the easiest solution, which would be to attempt to extend the dish surface area with some Dow pink foam insulation-board and reflective tape. It might just be worth a try on a smaller scale such as this versus a c-band dish.

Last edited:
1.2 would be enough.
Perhaps....but why not bigger no way to reget that. One day with 1.2 you will always wonder... what if I got that 1.8?...Thoughts to ponder....

I mentioned in my original post that I couldn't fit anything larger than 1.2 meter in the spot I have to have this dish. So no, a 1.8 meter dish will not fit. That would interfere with my c-band dish.

Have you checked to see if any business in your area has a Prodelin 1.2M dish that's not being used anymore. I'm happy with the performance that I get out of the three I have, just not sure being fixed would be an issue for you.

I'm only 1~ month out of hernia surgery, and it was a bad one. Even if there was a company around here that went out of business and had a dish of this sort up on their roof, I'm not up to removing it right now from a roof, even if they gave it to me for free.

I have to admit I didn't think of looking through pics of Google street-view to find dishes this time, but Google hasn't as of yet mapped very much around here. Also as I said, it's quite rare for a company to go out of business in this area, and the building to not be taken over immediately. It's quite the booming area. I also used to keep VERY well apprised of any "spare" Primestar dishes laying around unused around here, and got most of them many years ago. Those were all re-purposed already, and/or sold and traded off. Most were elliptical, and I still have a few of those stashed. A very few were 1 meter dishes, and I still have 2 of those. I only EVER found a single 1.2 meter Primestar dish, but the owner wouldn't give it up. I went back 3 times a year for 4 years, and he said he wasn't ready to get rid of it yet (it was on an EMPTY lot, and not in use all that time!) Finally the last time of the last year I went back, the dish was GONE... arsehole got rid of it, and never called me..

Back then I also never thought of seeing if there were any businesses that wanted to get rid of a KU uplink dish, it just never crossed my mind then. I'll keep looking, but I was also thinking last night that if I was able to raise the 1 meter dish I'm using up by even 1 or 2 feet, it might make all the difference in signal. I really think my porch roof is close enough that it's barely or only partially clearing it and gathering all the signal it could.

Primestar,

I don't know what city you are in, maybe you should put in up on your profile. But after you recover from surgery you should take a drive to Cheboygan, here a few possibilities I found with Google street view.

South of town on M-27 we have Wheeler Chevrolet with an old 1.2m. Most of these car dealer dishes are out of service.
WheelerChevyCheboygan.jpg

Then a bit closer to town is another 1.2m atop Advance Auto Parts.
AdvanceAutoPartsCheboygan.jpg

Just North of town on US-23 is WCBY Radio. Big C-band dishes in front, but might be sizable Ku in the back. Stop in and talk to Del Reynolds, chief engineer. If he doesn't have one he'll know where one can be had. Very friendly.
WCBYRadioCheboygan.jpg

Yup, most dealership dishes I've seen are 1.8 meter (6 foot) dishes. Some might be even larger, 8 footers. I've been eyeing a few down here, especially the Prodelin 1.8 models with NPRM. Next time I buy a GM vehicle, the old dealership dish will be a condition of the sale :D ...

Next time I buy a GM vehicle, the old dealership dish will be a condition of the sale :D ...
The Cadillac dealer here has one. Clean, pearl white with galvanized trim, low "mileage". Never thought about owning a Cadillac, but that Prodelin could seal a deal.

Can you come down to northeast indiana they have some close down businesses here you might check out. Angola indiana is where i am at. there some around here I believe.

Dan Rose

Can you come down to northeast indiana they have some close down businesses here you might check out. Angola indiana is where i am at. there some around here I believe.

Dan Rose

Thanks, but that's 185 miles one-way, and I'm not up to that sort of drive right now for a "maybe".

I may have some thing that will work for you, but I need to get it out of the garage. I have 2 one I have set up but not using the other is stored. I will have to measure it and might be able to get pic of it. I think its fiber glass but I don't know if I have the pole mount for it. I am in Grand Haven and you can have it free.

Eric

I may have some thing that will work for you, but I need to get it out of the garage. I have 2 one I have set up but not using the other is stored. I will have to measure it and might be able to get pic of it. I think its fiber glass but I don't know if I have the pole mount for it. I am in Grand Haven and you can have it free.

Eric

Wow, I haven't been in Grand Haven for years!

That might be doable for me, thanks!

Let me know if it's a 1.2, and what it's measurements are so I can figure out if it'll work for me, and how to pick it up. I have a trailer, but recently had to permanently park the car that has the hitch on it. I just got the wife a Kia Soul, and perhaps it could fit in the back so I won't need the trailer. I want to get a hitch on that eventually, but it's only been 3 weeks an I've not had a chance as of yet.

Some of the dishes have a mold mark on the back that tell what they are. My primestar (Channel Master) 1 meter dish is stamped: 1.0

By the way, if you can't find the mount for it that's not a problem! I have some Primestar mounts I can use. Even if the holes don't line up, I've used some cross pieces of heavy angle-iron on the dish, and then drilled holes in the angle iron to attach a Primestar mount to it.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts