1000.4 install mount question

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
Question:

Does the 1000.4 (EA) dish require a tripod like mount? And is it suitable or not recommended to be mounted on the side of a home with vinyl siding?

Dish 300, 500, 1002 ----

That's "d" dish's that have a tri-pod to hold them up. the 1004 uses a shorter mast and the next gauge thicker wall. mount it where you can. if you old one was on the wall - put the 1004 in place of it.

thanks - old DirecTV dish was on the peak of my roof. But we have had that portion of the roof repaired and the wife (even I) don't really want to mess with the roof again. I was hoping it could go on my back side of the house (facing the sky as well) would be easier for the installer, me if and when I had remove snow or tweak it? I just didn't want a bunch of lag bolts going into the siding - and the photo's have seen show just the standard 4 bolt base BUT some show the tripod looking supports as well. Maybe my logic is flawed.

again thanks and I hope to return to E* soon (and cancel cable)

Pole mount is the way to go ,especially up north where it snows all the time. Then you just go out and sweep the snow off when needed. Even though I live in the south, I have all pole mounts. I like to be able to tinker with it on ground level.

Agreed. Go buy a nice 4x4 treated post, cement it into the ground (make sure it's plumb on each side and put a few screws in the bottom to act as cleats in the cement) and the installing tech will love you.

Get a 8' post, bury about 3' of it.

I love pole mounts. I have no positive reasons to do a roof mount.

thanks - this is what I was looking at fast forward about 2.20 or so
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMij1FYiMYQ

But Frank's is a great idea... was looking to do this over the few weeks though. But I guess I'l have to wait a couple months :-(

ground is frozen and plus we have about 3-4 feet of snow where I would want to mount it LOL -- Then there is the fact that I'm not sure how to dig 3-4ft down to burry the pole. With out using some sort of back hoe, i'm in ledge country and glacier left behind rock gardens :) BUT I really like the off the house idea and feel it will work the best long term!

NOTE - it is so not normal for us to have this much snow! its been a crazy winter!

Last edited:
That mount looks great. If you get a sub-contractor out, they MIGHT do it. An in-house tech...the chance of them doing it is very slim.

If you go "by the book", dish doesn't permit mounts on vinyl siding.

let a tech come and do the install. We will put it on a temp mount then come back in spring to put a pole in the ground free! We get paid to do installs so let us so you dont have to bother with it

hmmm is that something a standard E* installer will do? I Think in my area they are actual E* employees (I think anyway)

hmmm is that something a standard E* installer will do? I Think in my area they are actual E* employees (I think anyway)

Dish will install a pole after is has been cleared by dig-safe, (temp mount until then). As far a mounting to vinyl siding, if it's an in house tech, if he mounts to your siding and it gets QC'd, it's an instant fail, with ir without that fancy thing in the other post. Mouting to Vinyl is not an approved mounting location. If a sub does it, good luck if he gets QC'd 'cause he just lost all his money!

what is dig-safe, per the website I located they don't do CT? Who pays for that... this is starting to get complicated lol :) My wife is going to say - just stick with cable :-(

dig safe = the people who come out and locate utilities. Not sure what its like in your area, but here we have utilities both buried and overhead. Regardless of where they are located, if everything is overhead, whatever...an in-house (DNS TECH) is required (in some states by law) to put the dish on a temp mount, get your service going, call in for a (most states its free) utility marking and then return a week or so later for a pole mount/cable bury.

Long story short, yes, a tech will mount it on a pole for you, for free. If I get to a customers house, and the hole is already dug...i'll mount a pole. Just sayin...*cough* read between the lines....

Ive seen gas lines in obnoxious areas before...I will not dig on (refuse to) customers property without first notifying digsafe/having utilities marked. Ive also been to several homes where people had no clue that there was a line buried/running to their home.....phone/cable/fiber/etc. etc....

what size pole for a 1000.4 dish?

Inch and 5/8 pole (or 1.66"). If you set a pole for a 1k4, I always set mine 1.5-2' into the ground and only about 2.5-3' above ground because it doesn't allow the dish to sway as much if you get strong winds. Unless you get 100+mph winds, then I've seen a dish fold in half and no mount would save it then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts