110 goes out: dish will upgrade my 500 and receiver

Kaz C

Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Just got off the phone w/dish after a week of no reception from sat 110. Looks like we are in an area eligible for a free upgrade of dish 500 and receiver (dp311), to be installed on Friday.

Just curious what we might be getting since she said it supports HD and that we will also receive the pentagon channel which was not available on 119 or 110....wonder if there will be any more surprises. :)

Any thoughts?

You might be getting a ViP211 series receiver. This seems equivalent to the 311 except it has HD capabilities. Also, for a one time $40 fee you can attach your own self powered External Hard Drive thru the USB port and turn it into a DVR - with no monthly DVR fee.

And Welcome to SatelliteGuys!
Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Welcome to Sat Guys US. According to the Dish site, the 311 only supports 480i, which is not HD.

Solo 311
  • Supports one independent viewing SD TV with remote control.
  • Display resolution: 480i.
  • On-screen Caller ID with history (optional).

See this link for other receivers that are available. You might want to change to the 211, it will support HD.

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/receivers/?WT.svl=upgrades-subnav

I believe she was saying they are being upgraded FROM a dish 500 and 311 STB. My guess is to a "1000ish" dish and ViP211- probably the Z model.

Reactions: Kaz C
The Pentagon Channel is on both 129 and 61.5, so with that fact alone, there is no way to tell whether this is an EA or WA dish upgrade. But if the OP has LOS issues to 110, then I suspect EA and a 211 which would explain the comment about the ability to receive HD.

BTW - a 211 is IMHO orders of magnitude better than a 311 because it's an HD receiver, can be upgraded to a DVR, and it also comes with an OTA tuner.

Ah... Edited to add after Navy's comment, the 211Z does not come with an OTA tuner, though it does take the Hopper dongle so you can do OTA too. I love OTA because it has pretty decent subchannels, as well as other main channels Dish does not carry on sat in my area.

Reactions: navychop
I wonder if it was the LNB or a problem with the box. LoS is likely but we really don't know enough. Not that it matters now- her problem will be fixed and she'll be better off.

Yes, "our" area. :D I didn't mean the OP (whose whareabouts are unknown to me), but others on SG that are in my area. I normally like our area, but 97deg days in the springtime (or any time for that matter) has me liking our area less.

Last edited:
We are in Northern VA.

And I've been taking a few days to do some work outside. Tomorrow, I think I'll move to inside before high noon.

PS- Is it always High Noon in Denver? ;)

Reactions: TheKrell
Lol! I guess I need to be more clear. We currently have the dish 500 and the 311 receiver. The agent said we would be pulling in 3 satellites instead of 2 if that helps. We are in Millersburg pa (17061). OTA would be nice except we are in a valley and lease does not allow us to mount anything to the home.

Checked a website/forum dealing w/OTA a while back and based on our location in order to get a handful of channels, we would need something just shy of NASA level to make it work from our attic.

Ah, the joys of rural living!

And thank you for the warm welcome! I lurked on here a few years ago and learned of the wonderful "welcome pack" back when it was still $14.99 and before my husband officially went through football withdrawal and walking dead was born.

Another question: what ever happened to the waivered local subs? You used to be able to get a waiver and pay a bit extra for the main networks on the east and west coast. Was not able to find it, I think it was called all America access or something?

Dish was banned from selling distant networks, but a private company sold East and West coast locals in SD only. Now Dish has locals over the entire US and most of them are HD. The other company could not keep enough subscribers to stay in business. The closed shop about 3-6 months ago. Plus Dish's locals are included in all basic packages, so not many people had a use for distant nets, but a few wanted them anyway. But obviously not enough to keep the company in business.

Reactions: Kaz C
Lol Krell. You can keep your VA heat. That comes with humidity to, right? I'll still to my 2% humidity Still 110 at the top of the day right now. Yard work is done either before 9am or after 630pm.

You want humididity? Go to my hometown, NOLA, and experience 98/98!

I miss my home. Can't go back, due to jobs, corruption and crime!

Reactions: TheKrell
Naw. I hate any humidity. I'll stay in phx az. It's a nice spot to relax and get the same kind of needless crime.

Phoenix? :p I'll take Flagstaff any day!

Back on topic, I predict an EA dish and a 211 (probably the Z as Navy suggested). Even from PA the EA sats are pretty high in the sky. It's about 45 deg down here in OUR area. ;) Then I highly recommend adding HD unless you're still on the Welcome Pack.

Reactions: Kaz C and navychop