120cm dish with C-Band performance - Now with HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.FTA forum.

The Fortec receiver will work for DVB (digital) C-band channels, but even the 35" dish maybe just too small. I use a 40" (fiberglass) dish for C-band with good results. I tried a 36" (metal) dish a week or so ago and the results were not impressive.

Which LNB are you using with the 40" dish, and motor?

PSB said:
Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.FTA forum.

The Fortec receiver will work for DVB (digital) C-band channels, but even the 35" dish maybe just too small. I use a 40" (fiberglass) dish for C-band with good results. I tried a 36" (metal) dish a week or so ago and the results were not impressive.

Just curious, are you using the 40" dish on a motor? If so, which one? Also, what dish is it, and what LNB(s) are you using on this 40" dish. Reason for asking is I can only have one dish at my home (wife as well as HOA), want to order the new Invacom LNB to improve setup on KuBand, but, as with all here, curious about C-Band satellites.

Thanks in advance for your prompt response PSB.

Best regards,
greyskies in Sunny South Florida

hi everyone,
i have 2 LNB's for C- band and im wondering which lnb would be best for me to try out on my 37" dish i have a:

1.Chaparrel lnb with a california amplifier slimline II HEMT low noise block converter with a 62dB gain and Noise 35K OR
2.global Image with a NOR SAT with a 65dB gain And Noise 45K

Thanx in Advance

I'd go with the Chaparrel because you got your signal to noise ratio would be higher on that one than the other one. On the second one, you get 3decibels of gain, but you also have 10 more decibels of noise added in. With the Chaparrel you have 3 decibels less of gain but you also get 10 decibels less of noise.

thanx for the heads up, one last question does it matter the lnb is a bit old cuz i had it on a 6ft bud b4 like 5-6 years ago it still works tho?? do i need to modify n e thing on it??? be sides puting it on a offset arm on my 37" dish???
thanx again

Has anyone tried putiing C-band and Ku band lnbs together yet? I have my Invacom set up in the middle where LNB normally goes. I just strapped on c-band lnbf to the left of it. I am getting closely sames values on all sats, but some transpnders have about 10% drop in quality. I didn't have time to fine tune it before dark, but with some fine tuning and playing with c-band lnbf's skew and position I hope to have it get same signal strengths. All the c-band sats are about 6-7 degrees off now ofcourse. So if I want to pick up AMC1 at 103W I have to move my dish to 96.5W.

vj9999 said:
Has anyone tried putiing C-band and Ku band lnbs together yet?
http://www.satshop24.de/pd-455778924.htm?categoryId=48
Gibrtin_detail_gr.jpg

http://board.satbook.de/wbb/thread.php?threadid=1418&page=2
13.jpg

Thanks Michael. Does in your opinion make more sense to put c-band on the side? I figured it does since c-band beam width on 120cm dish is about 4 degrees so tolerrance for errors is better than with 1.6 degrees beamwidth for Ku band.

Michael I love looking at your forum. Is there any way to get it in english? Just looking at the pictures for ideas is great ! Thanks, Mike

I plan on trying to put the C-band lnb in the prime focal point, and putting the Invacom and circular lnb's on either side. I refuse to cut into and mess with my offset scalar ring (Devo-hat style!) so it'll be a bunch of trial and error. The way I'm figuring it 1.2m is already "below minimum" for C-band reception, so I should give it every last millimeter of help I can.

That being said, somone sacrifice a 421 already, and chop the back end off, lol. I want an Invacom glued into it. Screw theories, even at a loss, if it functions 80%+ of normal I'll do it! :yes We'll make our own dang C/Ku LNBF.

CharredPC said:
I plan on trying to put the C-band lnb in the prime focal point, and putting the Invacom and circular lnb's on either side. I refuse to cut into and mess with my offset scalar ring (Devo-hat style!) so it'll be a bunch of trial and error. The way I'm figuring it 1.2m is already "below minimum" for C-band reception, so I should give it every last millimeter of help I can.

That being said, somone sacrifice a 421 already, and chop the back end off, lol. I want an Invacom glued into it. Screw theories, even at a loss, if it functions 80%+ of normal I'll do it! :yes We'll make our own dang C/Ku LNBF.

I wouldn't dare to drill a hole in it either. See my concern is that bigger the dish, narrower the beam width is. Of course you will get a stronger signal, but it will als be more sensitive to any irregularities (in example pole not being perfectly plumb, etc.). Just as an example, I had my 90cm dish tracking the arc perfectly from 30W to 129W (and my ole was probably 1-2 degrees off plumb which is still pretty close). With 120cm, I had much more of a difficult time to track the arc perfectly. When I peak it on a satellite I get a great signal (for example on G10R on Tube transponder I can get close to 75%+ quality), but setting it to track the arc perfectly is a much harder (at least in my case it was).

90cm dish has 2 degrees beam width whereas 120cm dish has approximately 1.5 degrees beam width on Ku band. I think that's why it is a little more forgiving to put the c-band lnb next to ku band lnb because 120cm dish has about 4.5 degrees beam width on c-band side. IT will be more forgiving.

I'll try it both ways and see which way I get a better results. Also either way, the lnb that is not in the center will be approximately 6-7 degrees off because the size of devo hat puts it off that much.

PSB..I have read all the threads in this post ..am a little confused..you say you are getting mpeg channels...does that mean you can pull *choice channels off of F1 and F2 ??

No, just Tele Queb/ ASN / Blue Bonnet...... The unencrypted FTA channels.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome PSB....I have been in the satellite industry a long time a still believe the BUD will make a come back :D

trikydiky said:
Thanks for the welcome PSB....I have been in the satellite industry a long time a still believe the BUD will make a come back :D

It has! Just more compact, like everything else nowadays (MicroBUD's!) :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DSR905 on a KU only system

StarChoice Quad LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)