Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
antenna2.jpg

http://www.ramzmusic.com/sat/antenna.jpg

In the past I had serious trouble tuning in 4-1 so I had to go with a medium between most of my channels and 4-1. I think 4 has boost their signal as I have had not near the troubles I used to last year. The trouble is 13-1 is HORRID lately and is unwatchable... it locks up and pixelates real bad. I have a winegard powered antenna that pulls power off of the tivo.

I was wondering if it was possible to split the antenna and use another antenna inside that will help boost my 13-1 signal? I thought I had tryed in the past but I lost the power going to the antenna and stations went to crap.. Perhaps there is another solution someone can recommend? All my other channels I have no problems with whatsoever. I could also switch back and forth antennas from external to internal but I am rarely home when my tivo records programs.. I am usually at work.

Any help is appreciated!

any ideas anyone? I have the OTA antenna pointing more toward the 4.1 signal and even though the 13-1 signal is only 11 miles away its not picking up to good... Can I split the OTA antenna with another OTA antenna or powered indoor antenna and get the best of both worlds?

What antenna are you using? What is it's beam max width?

I am using the Winegard amplified the one that looks like a airplane wing... I can get 13-1 perfect if I aim more at it... but 4-1 goes out typically. I have another winegard amplified or an indoor powered or a non amplified antenna I can use if they can be piggy backed... Just didn't know if it was possible.. I coulda swore I tryed something like this in the past and the antenna stopped receiving power from the HD-Tivos.

No but I tryed a model that was just under that it was HUGE. It didn't pick up 4-1 better than the smaller one I have now... I left it at the last house. I have heard good things about the one you posted, but I don't think you are getting what I am saying... the channel I am not getting very well is 11 miles its not far away at all. If I recall also someone said they transmitted a different signal than most the others which made it trickier also. Anyways the reason it isn't being picked up is because the antenna is faced the opposite direction away from it because 4-1 will be lost if I don't.

Is there a way that 2 antennas can be piggybacked? or do you not know?

Yes they can. My point is that regardless of the distance away, not all antennas are made the same or have the same gain or reception specs across the differing frequencies; distance is not the only factor to consider. Since you sound like you would be buying another antenna anyway, I would try the one better quality antenna model setup over the "piggybacked" setup first. Are you strapped for antenna mounting space? The CM4228 is only about 39" x 36".

Yes they can. My point is that regardless of the distance away, not all antennas are made the same or have the same gain or reception specs across the differing frequencies; distance is not the only factor to consider. Since you sound like you would be buying another antenna anyway, I would try the one better quality antenna model setup over the "piggybacked" setup first. Are you strapped for antenna mounting space? The CM4228 is only about 39" x 36".

Naw I have plenty of room however the last antenna was mounted extemely high up on the very tip of my roof and I don't have a ladder tall enough right now to remove or change it so I was going to try the piggy back route first. I have used the channel master antenna that was supposed to be comparable or just under the 8 bay bowtie. the one I mentioned before but to be honest like I said I didn't get 4-1 any better actually it was probably worse. I couldn't find the 8 bay anywhere for sale the day I got the other one so I just got it... It was a good antenna but it didn't eclipse the Winegard like I was expecting it to.

The Winegard unexpectedly picked up 4-1 REALLY good when we hooked it up at my new house and at the time 13-1 just pixelated every now and then (1-2 times during a show) now the pixelation has gotten so bad I can't watch anything on 13-1. I am guessing the way the directv guy diplexed my wires could be better as well (prolly about 5 diplexers running into a multi) I might look into rewiring that to gain some signal also.

I might order one of the bowties off online but I will need to find someone with a HUGE ladder again to get up there and take down the old and put up the new. Also I dunno how I sonded like i would be buying a new antenna though... I said previously I have a bunch of antennas just lying around... like 3-4 winegard antennas and a bunch of indoor powered... also the real popular indoor one called a silver sensor

Then I would aim your current antenna to get all but the very close channel and then "piggyback" that Silver Sensor into the mix to get that real close channel; should work.

Then I would aim your current antenna to get all but the very close channel and then "piggyback" that Silver Sensor into the mix to get that real close channel; should work.

Like I said in the past I was pretty sure I did this but the receivers stopped powering the winegard... Is there a certain way to do it? Perhaps a diplexer is used to piggyback the silver sensor into the mix or will a 2x1 work?

I'm no ace when it comes to the coax world but I got the basics and perhaps in the past i didn't use a power passing splitter....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)