$15 to ship receiver?

If I had Comcast, it would cost me $15 to drive from my house to their office and back, which is what I would have to do if I cancelled. .

What do you drive to work? A Sherman Tank???

If the local office is 5 miles away, you are talking about a dollar's worth of gas.

Not that I am defending Comcast...but the local Comcast office is within 4-miles of my VA home, within 6 miles of my siblings (all three) and parents homes, and both the Time-Warner and Verizon FiOS equipment offices are within 5-miles of my home in TX. Most cable offices are within a few miles of the areas they serve so you're definitely a statistical anomaly.

Anyway, this is just another example of why customers must evaluate the total price of having Dish Network service (or any other service for that matter) and not blindly accept their advertised price. Factors to consider:

- Equipment and other fees (highest of any provider)
- Two year contracts (must consider penalties if terminating service early)
- No discounts by bundling services (Internet and Phone)
- HD-Lite (Dish Network reduces 1/3rd of the picture quality...yet, they charge full price)
- Maintenance fees

What is so different than DirecTV?
-I can't honestly say which provider has the highest but I do know that the average customer has about 2 TVs hooked up and that is no extra charge with Dish's dual tuners.
-Who doesn't have a 24 month commitment or cancelation fees?
-Last I checked you got a $5 discount a month for bundling with a telco provider.
-Do you honestly think that anyone else has better picture quality than Dish? I'm not saying they're the best, but they are not bad at all, AND now it's going to be free to customers!
-I'm not a big fan of the new technician visit fees for customers, but as a retailer we need to be paid for the service we provide to customers.

For some reason, cable is grabbing more Dish Network customers these days.

My neighbors (with Dish Network dishes) is canceling their service and getting Direct TV or cable. More and more Direct TV and cable trucks and fewer Dish Network.

If I had Comcast, it would cost me $15 to drive from my house to their office and back, which is what I would have to do if I cancelled. They don't come pick up receivers. I don't see why anyone would expect a company they are cancelling service with to pay for you to return equipment. They paid to send it to you.

Dish has to make money too and all that scamming folks do to get this and that credit and free receiver upgrades, etc... makes the rest of our prices go up. That money has to come from somewhere.

Frankly, I am glad they are cutting out the credits and free upgrades. Pretty much the entire monthly service industry is going to the model wireless companies use... A free upgrade at the end of your contract, in exchange for another contract.

I know, flame me, flame me... Everyone wants something for nothing.

Dish is a reasonably priced service provider. I have HD, a dual tuner DVR with an OTA module and my bill is around $50 dollars a month, before my Club Dish credit from referring a friend kicks in. There is no other provider I can get a 4 tuner box from with all those channels for that amount of money.

You live 50 miles from your Comcast office? 20mpg*5gallons@$3/gallon

They come pick up receivers here.

For some reason, cable is grabbing more Dish Network customers these days.

My neighbors (with Dish Network dishes) is canceling their service and getting Direct TV or cable. More and more Direct TV and cable trucks and fewer Dish Network.

interesting, that's not what the net-add numbers from the last couple of quarters show...

What is so different than DirecTV?
-I can't honestly say which provider has the highest but I do know that the average customer has about 2 TVs hooked up and that is no extra charge with Dish's dual tuners.
-Who doesn't have a 24 month commitment or cancelation fees?
-Last I checked you got a $5 discount a month for bundling with a telco provider.
-Do you honestly think that anyone else has better picture quality than Dish? I'm not saying they're the best, but they are not bad at all, AND now it's going to be free to customers!
-I'm not a big fan of the new technician visit fees for customers, but as a retailer we need to be paid for the service we provide to customers.

Ya that PQ on Dish is so so awesome on MSG-HD, YES, MLB.NET and MLB.EI. Now you retailers and installers can BS all you want, but for the record TWC is giving me the equivalent of the AT250, with Straz, my high speed Roadrunner, over 100 HD channels, an HD -DVR and and second hd receiver for $85 a month for year 1, and $95 a month for year 2, price guaranteed and no commitment on my part. Dish would cost me more than that for just the video portion.

That is why there is more cable and directv trucks roaming the neighborhoods than Dish. The cable companies have woken up, taken the competition on, and have become more responsive to the subscriber wants and needs. Dish has found new ways to raise rates twice a year and nickel and dime you for everything else on the way.

Had the same $15 charge option when I called to CXL yesterday. Gave the CSR what for when she asked me if I was sure I didn't want to transfer service to a friend or relative! lol

Anyway, they said they could give me the shipping label for $15, or I could pay to have it shipped back via the method of my choosing. I'm looking into Pony Express rates right now. :)

Dish wasn't bad, IMO. Just didn't have the channels I wanted. Lots of crap and fluff, not enough substance on the channels that mattered to me personally. I mean, how many people get Dish Network because they have The World Fishing Network? I know there's a market for it, I just don't think it's very large.

The average consumer appreciates quantity. The educated consumer appreciates quality. Not to say you can't have both, or that only one provider can give both to you, but Dish no longer met my needs.

For what it's worth, maybe it's just the honeymoon phase, but the HD on D* really does seem sharper and more vibrant to me than it did on E* using the VIP 722. And that seems like an AWESOME package you got, Islandguy... If Charter had something like that, I'da been hard pressed to not try it myself. :)

For what it's worth, maybe it's just the honeymoon phase, but the HD on D* really does seem sharper and more vibrant to me than it did on E* using the VIP 722. And that seems like an AWESOME package you got, Islandguy... If Charter had something like that, I'da been hard pressed to not try it myself. :)

It is a awesome package considering the former cable company here was Adelphia and they were sucking the money from the company rather than using it for improvements prior to their bubble bursting and the Rigas's being shipped off to jail. To top it off, TWC gave me a an additional $50 credit to have my Dish removed from my roof.

D* has very good pq. My son had it for a couple years prior to TWC giving him the similar deal I got.

So I cancelled my dish service this week. Hello OTA HD, tivo and netflix. After jumping through all the hoops with customer service, they informed me that it would cost me $15 to ship them their receiver back since I didn't pay for the protection plan. The local installer that I used 4 years ago said that they took care of any issues so it was not necessary to pay for it. They have provided phenomenal service and 2 years ago when my dvr went out, they showed up the next day with a new one, free of charge. I just find it odd that I have to pay to ship them back THEIR equipment. Guess that's their way of sticking it to me one last time. Makes me feel much better about the divorce I guess.:D

so where is your retailer now? have him ship back the boxes for you.

Comcast comes and gets their equipment...at least here in Minneapolis they do ;)

our local cable company sends out someone to pick up their receivers after they have already billed you for the non-return cost and enough time has passed to on it not being paid to ding your credit. and its a great ploy. think about it, anyone who cares about their credit will come and return the box right away after they get a bill for the non-returned equipment so that they can get the charge reversed. but customers who do not care about a ding on their credit most likely wont send the box back if they havent already, so it is worth the investment of sending out someone to retrieve the equipment.

Everyone here pretend to be a business owner for a minute. Now ask yourself: Would you spend money on someone who was no longer spending their money on your business?

as a subscriber, i say why should i have to pay extra for those who consume more and contribute less? none of the new fees have affected me. in fact, my bill is now 7.00 a month cheaper then it was prior to 2-1-10. in feb, my bill went up 1.00 on dvr service. then yesterday my bill went up 2.00 for my t200 package, and then decreased by 10.00 when i dumped platinum and got free hr for life.

after signing up for free hd, i called dish, asked to remove platinum hd. agent did not charge me the transaction fee, said since i was on silverhd with free plat promotion the past year and it ended he could waive the downgrade fee since i removed plat within 30 days of the end of my promotion.

i have never had to pay a 5.00 payment fee since i have never needed an agent to take my money. so that fee doesnt affect me either.

the main people who are affected by the new fees are those with multiple duo receivers. but hearing people with 3 duo dvrs whine about the cost of their fees is like hearing the dude with a hummer whine about price the cost of gas. yeah your fees werent that high when you started, but if they are that outrageously higher then the competition, then why are you still paying dish?

as a subscriber, i say why should i have to pay extra for those who consume more and contribute less? none of the new fees have affected me. in fact, my bill is now 7.00 a month cheaper then it was prior to 2-1-10. in feb, my bill went up 1.00 on dvr service. then yesterday my bill went up 2.00 for my t200 package, and then decreased by 10.00 when i dumped platinum and got free hr for life.

after signing up for free hd, i called dish, asked to remove platinum hd. agent did not charge me the transaction fee, said since i was on silverhd with free plat promotion the past year and it ended he could waive the downgrade fee since i removed plat within 30 days of the end of my promotion.

i have never had to pay a 5.00 payment fee since i have never needed an agent to take my money. so that fee doesnt affect me either.

the main people who are affected by the new fees are those with multiple duo receivers. but hearing people with 3 duo dvrs whine about the cost of their fees is like hearing the dude with a hummer whine about price the cost of gas. yeah your fees werent that high when you started, but if they are that outrageously higher then the competition, then why are you still paying dish?

first they take the easy hanging fruit, then sooner or later youn will be paying more.......

if a lot of those people who got hammered on fees leave then whos pocket will have to pay the price?

around here comcast comes and picks up boxes and disconnects and secures end of cable so it cant be reconnected.

a neighbor moved and comcast truck was blocking my driveway, no biggie, i asked what you doing?

comcast guy was nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)