2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Boston sports fan are a loyal lot. The Bruins and Red Sox have a long history of drawing well even without a championship. The Celtics popularity does ebb a nd flow a bit based on their success and we will see if the Pats fans stick around if they ever have a couple of bad seasons. but i suspect that tehy are more a part of the regional conscioussness than they were when they were called the Patsies.

I think you nailed it!! :up

And yes, win or lose, Pats fans are here to stay! Ownership committed to winning, and playing at a state of the art facility with all the creature comforts..........and not a glorified division II football stadium, has a lot to do with it!

I think you nailed it!! :up

And yes, win or lose, Pats fans are here to stay! Ownership committed to winning, and playing at a state of the art facility with all the creature comforts..........and not a glorified division II football stadium, has a lot to do with it!

God i hated that old stadium. It was built in a hurry and it showed. I used to freeze my butt off in there. The wind was always whipping around in that place.

God i hated that old stadium. It was built in a hurry and it showed. I used to freeze my butt off in there. The wind was always whipping around in that place.
Yep, and those steel benches with no backs didn't help either! :eek:

I'll admit. I don't follow the Pats, Red Sox or Celtics. Sure, I'll watch the playoffs, but that's about it. Bruins. Different story. I try and make sure I catch *every game.
Too bad season tickets at the Garden are so damn expensive.

I'll admit. I don't follow the Pats, Red Sox or Celtics. Sure, I'll watch the playoffs, but that's about it. Bruins. Different story. I try and make sure I catch *every game.
Too bad season tickets at the Garden are so damn expensive.

You guys are lucky! I grew up in Detroit and the surrounding area, and I am a diehard Red Wings, Tigers and Wolverines (both hockey and football) fanatic. Unfortunately, I haven't lived in the area since '81, when I joined the service, so I either drive or fly into town for a game while visiting family, or occassionally catch a game while in DC or Dallas. I can get my mitts on a lot of free tickets from my company, but I must admit that I don't often care to see the local teams play unless the Wings, Tigers (or even the hapless Lions) are in town.

I've actually thought about moving back to the area (a lot) over the past 10-years since I would to be close to family and be able to "passionately" follow my teams (family has held season U of M tickers since the mid-60s. However, the stinkin' Michigan economy has kept me at bay.

Again, you guys are lucky to be able to be able to follow your sports team locally with other like-minded people.

Pats owner Bob Kraft took out a full page ad in today's Boston Herald congratulating the Bruins.

Very cool Mr. Kraft! :)

kraft-ad.jpg

Historically, the Bruins fanbase has been more loyal than the Red Sox. For years, the Bruins drew a capacity 13,909 fans to the Boston Garden, whether they were in first place or last. The Red Sox only drew 800,000, or fewer than 10,000 per game, in 1966, the year before they began their resurgence, and I think I saw it posted here that when Roger Clemens struck out 20 batters in a game, the attendance was only about 10,000 that evening.

While it won't reach the now-legendary status of the Dave Roberts stolen base or Bird stealing the ball, a play that really got the Bruins going that should not be forgotten- Michael Ryder's glove save in game 5 of the Montrealvseries

Historically, the Bruins fanbase has been more loyal than the Red Sox. For years, the Bruins drew a capacity 13,909 fans to the Boston Garden, whether they were in first place or last. The Red Sox only drew 800,000, or fewer than 10,000 per game, in 1966, the year before they began their resurgence, and I think I saw it posted here that when Roger Clemens struck out 20 batters in a game, the attendance was only about 10,000 that evening.

if it was posted here it was incorrect. Attendance was low that night but not THAT low. It was 13,414.

At teh start of this season the Red Sox has the longest sellout streak in sports at over 600 games-----although that includes tickets sold to ticket agencies that may or may not be resold. people wew so dispirited by the horrific start this year that the streak may very well have been broken I am not sure.

The Bruins attendance did slump for awhile. i assume this will perk it up and in fact I assume that their play the last few seasons. I do have to say that Bruins fans did sit still for some pretty bad years pre Bobby Orr. not sure that ANY of the other Boston teams can say that their fans would be THAT loyal.

if it was posted here it was incorrect. Attendance was low that night but not THAT low. It was 13,414.

At teh start of this season the Red Sox has the longest sellout streak in sports at over 600 games-----although that includes tickets sold to ticket agencies that may or may not be resold. people wew so dispirited by the horrific start this year that the streak may very well have been broken I am not sure.

The Bruins attendance did slump for awhile. i assume this will perk it up and in fact I assume that their play the last few seasons. I do have to say that Bruins fans did sit still for some pretty bad years pre Bobby Orr. not sure that ANY of the other Boston teams can say that their fans would be THAT loyal.

The Red Sox sell out "streak" started in 2003. The Pats have had a 60,000+ people on a waiting list and have been sold out since 1997.

This is easily my 2nd favorite championship, right behind the 2001 Patriots which started the Region's decade plus of dominance.

Looking at the age and cap of this roster, they will be very good for years to come. It is a shame that Savard's career is likely over, but this still could be a dynasty in the making.

The Celtics "Larry Bird" era streak was dubious. I remember the Herald did an expose on it, where they had someone go up to the ticket window after a game had started and ask for tickets but did not buy them, and then he ducked around the corner and waited to see if anyone else made any subsequent purchases, but they did not.

It looks like I spoke too soon...the Stanley Cup Final thread once again beat the NBA Playoff thread for total number of postings. We usually outpost the NBA thread 2-1, but this year we did it without a single post mentioning how much people hate LeBron James and the Miami Heat.

We SatelliteGuys love our Hockey!!! :)

It looks like I spoke too soon...the Stanley Cup Final thread once again beat the NBA Playoff thread for total number of postings. We usually outpost the NBA thread 2-1, but this year we did it without a single post mentioning how much people hate LeBron James and the Miami Heat.

We SatelliteGuys love our Hockey!!! :)

It was a hard-fought victory this time around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)