2013 NFL Playoffs/Super Bowl

I do notice a double standard when it comes to the Super Bowl and the World Series. If a WS game were to last 4.5 hours, like this SB game did, we would hear outcries of how long the game is and what can we do to shorten it.

I do notice a double standard when it comes to the Super Bowl and the World Series. If a WS game were to last 4.5 hours, like this SB game did, we would hear outcries of how long the game is and what can we do to shorten it.
The difference is that 4.5 hour WS games don't end at 11:00 pm ET....

And football doesn't have a 162 game season.

correct on both points imo. i will add something that i'm sure you'll both disagree on. baseball is just boring. the game moves so slow that a 4hr game will feel much longer. again that's just my opinion,not a fact. its why i can never get into that sport.i have tried......

The complaints are over how long the games last. The discussion is always how to shorten the length of the game.

Start and end times are a different issue. Yes, I think WS games should be moved up at least one hour and weekend WS games should be played in the afternoon.

The brilliant part of the intentional safety was the blatant holding. Even if holding was called, a penalty in the end zone results in a safety anyway, and no time would have been put back on the clock.
I agree. Baltimore took advantage of the rule. I think the refs did a decent job of letting them play and calling the game evenly, if not fairly.

Last edited:

Watching football for 4.5 hours with your buddies and family is awesome, talk about the game, life, commercials or whatever.

Watching a 4.5 hour baseball game is like being waterboarded.

Watching football for 4.5 hours with your buddies and family is awesome, talk about the game, life, commercials or whatever.

Watching a 4.5 hour baseball game is like being waterboarded.
Watching baseball for 4.5 hours with your buddies and family is awesome, talk about the game, life, strategies, plays, or whatever.

It is a matter of being a fan of the game. If you do not like football, then 4.5 hours of it will also be like water-boarding. If you like baseball or football, then 4.5 hours of either is awesome.

Shortening the game will not make it less torturous if you do not like it. The game is what it is. If you like it, then length is irrelevant.

Not surprising....

2013 Super Bowl sets ratings record

The Baltimore Ravens' victory over the San Francisco 49ers has set a record for highest overnight ratings in Super Bowl history.

The Nielsen company reported the game scored a 48.1 rating and 71 share in its select measurement of big cities. That's 1 percent over a similar measurement in last year's game.

I think both plays were correct for the situation. A FG from that range was not a gimme, and worst case, the fake will turn over the ball inside the 49er's 10 yard line.

Before the Ravens' timeout I looked at the score and saw that 5 point margin and the short time, and said to myself "Take the safety!". It looked to me like the 49er's didn't plan for the Ravens to take a safety, even after the timeout. I fault the 49er's for not going all out to get to the punter to conserve time. They could have downed the punter and saved enough time for a "Hail Mary" after the kickoff.

I saw two Ravens players hold, grab and tackle the D-line to the point of molestation during the last play - that's why the punter had time to pitch a tent in the endzone. It was actually a brilliant strategy...what are the refs going to do call a penalty, which leads to a safety? It certainly won't put any time back on the clock. Anyway, I'm just surprised a penalty flag wasn't thrown (not that it would have made a difference) since a ref had two eyes on the line of scrimmage.

If anyone has time, go back and watch the aforementioned play. You'll see #84 of Baltimore practically undressing #24 of the 49ers (for 10-years no less) right in front of the ref. Again, it didn't make a difference but it should have been flagged.

Watching baseball for 4.5 hours with your buddies and family is awesome, talk about the game, life, strategies, plays, or whatever.

It is a matter of being a fan of the game. If you do not like football, then 4.5 hours of it will also be like water-boarding. If you like baseball or football, then 4.5 hours of either is awesome.

Shortening the game will not make it less torturous if you do not like it. The game is what it is. If you like it, then length is irrelevant.

Yes, the anticipation of something that could happen is what really draws me into watching baseball. Waiting for something to happen that rarely happens like a no-hitter, 4 hr's in a game, the cycle, perfect game, etc....

Two of the strangest plays of the game for me: The Ravens running the field goal fake on 4th and 9 with only an 11 point lead early in the game, and the safety at the end involving the punter going out of bounds. I understand why they ran that last play but I've never seen a safety like that before.

In the Canadian Football League they do it ALL the time. Give up 2 points instead of having a punt return for a TD (in the CFL there is no wussy "fair catch" crap)

Even before the announcers said it I thought "just run around in the end zone and get a safety"

meanwhile Will Ferrell's Old Milwaukee Ad showed up in 2 small markets only

KXII Sherman, TX (market 161)
KXGN Glendive, MT (market 210 out of 210)

last year it was North Platte, NE (market 209)

Interesting they did Sherman. I guess if you are going to show it in 2 "small markets" show it somewhere like Alpena, MI or Presque Isle, ME (which are markets 208 & 205)

Was it me, or were most of the commercials pretty weak?

They are weak,and have been for several years imho.The only one I enjoyed was the NFL Leon Sandcastle.I still get a chuckle out of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts