3 questions about our install

GooMan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Alabama
1) Tech came out Sat morning and installed 2 Hoppers & 3 Joeys. I was surprised to find that he didn't use either client port on the duo node. I can't remember exactly how it is laid out from memory but I think a Hopper and Joey are connected via a tap and the other Hopper and other 2 Joeys are connected via a 3-way splitter. I do know that both host ports on the duo node are used and the client ports have blue weatherproof caps on them without terminators. Does that sound acceptable? I guess its all working like its supposed to but I'm not 100% sure how its supposed to work. I have been able to link the Joeys to each Hopper and see the DVR content on each Hopper. I guess its OK.

2) Tech had tremendous trouble connecting one of the Hoppers to broadband. 1st used an ethernet jack behind the TV and it wouldn't work. He would go into one screen and it would get its IP address from the router and then the next screen would show no broadband connection. It was weird, the ethernet options would be grayed out and it would be on MoCA. He tried both ethernet jacks and different cables but same problem. It would actually work for a minute and then stop. He even called someone on the phone and talked about it. He decided to try a wireless adapter and it too wouldn't work and actually made the situation worse. When the wireless adapter was plugged in every laptop, iPad, iPhone, etc would lose connectivity. They would drop their WiFi connection and even when they connected again they couldn't get out to the internet. Only thing I could figure is I don't have a 802.11N router. I know the stuff is supposed to be compatible with 802.11G but who knows? I finally just unplugged the Hopper after the tech left b/c it was causing more trouble than it was worth. Any ideas on this?

3) DishAnywhere question. Do I have to have the Hopper connected to broadband to schedule a recording via DishAnywhere? I downloaded the iPhone app last night and logged in and it said it was contacting my receivers. In a few seconds it had the serial number for both Hoppers. I looked through the guide and chose something to record and it said it was going to record it. When I got home it hadn't recorded what it said it was going to record.

Appreciate the help. Liking the new setup so far but its driving the wife nuts trying to figure it out.

The to blue caps are not approved he should have used F terminators to close them off. You can tap the host line with a tap and only a tap but a splitter can be used after the tap on the client side.

Sounds like you just need t enable bridging on the Hoppa that is properly connected to the internet.
Menu>settings>network setting>broadband>red button>select moca>press blue button twice>enter the now available bridging menu> enable

Yes

Where did he place the duo node at? If he put it outside then he used the tap in order to keep from running extra cables into the house. If you only had two cables running into the house it may have been easier to put the node outside and just use the existing cables. This is what I did in my house.

The unused terminals on the node are to have terminators on them. Not using terminators could cause issues in the future.

The unused terminals on the node are to have terminators on them. Not using terminators could cause issues in the future.

I had a Hopper (no Joeys) installed on 12/30/2012 with a Solo Node. There is 1 port on the Solo Node that is unused (I believe it is the "To Client" port), and the tech didn't put a terminator on it. The Solo node is outside. Should I put a terminator on it? If so, I assume a 75-ohm F terminator is the proper type?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)