3 QUESTIONS

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
My contract with dish is up in January 2012 i would like to have the 922 slingbox receiver. i currently have a 612 receiver. is there a way to buy the 922 outright return the 612 so i dont pay two dvr fees? 2nd question does the 922 offer a whole house dvr solution?

third question might be for 922 slingbox forum but ill ask anyway. does sling box website use flash player to show content?

At work i cant use dishonline because they need some type of file along with flash player to watch tv shows and movies. im not the network administrator so it wont let me install program. is slingbox website the same as using dishonline?

My contract with dish is up in January 2012 i would like to have the 922 slingbox receiver. i currently have a 612 receiver. is there a way to buy the 922 outright return the 612 so i dont pay two dvr fees? 2nd question does the 922 offer a whole house dvr solution?

third question might be for 922 slingbox forum but ill ask anyway. does sling box website use flash player to show content?

At work i cant use dishonline because they need some type of file along with flash player to watch tv shows and movies. im not the network administrator so it wont let me install program. is slingbox website the same as using dishonline?

Hi, You can purchase a ViP922 receiver at any time as the contract is not effected by what equipment you have on your account. Yes, you activate the 922 and disable the 612 and return it to DISH Network. The ViP922 will increase your monthly DVR from $6.00 to $10.00.

ViP922 does not offer a Whole Home DVR solution. DISH Network does not currently have a Whole Home DVR.

When you sling, you do utilize the dishonline website and will need to have flash player installed.

ok thanks for response. About the dishonline i know we need flash player but like i said when i try to play a show at work it states dish needs to install sandevine or something similar in order to offer best quality is this the same program slingbox will use?

Dvr fee is an account level fee, you only pay one fee regardless of the# of dvrs.
Why the 922? The 722k and sling adapter will do the same and based on my reading on this forum the 722k is a better box...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Believe me, you probably want the ViP722K with the "free" sling adapter instead. The ViP922 is not as functional as this combination and costs more per month; look around for threads on this.

Dish has a "whole house" solution coming, the XiP813. Look for an announcement on this at CES in mid January. But it might be only available to new subs in the beginning.

Believe me, you probably want the ViP722K with the "free" sling adapter instead. The ViP922 is not as functional as this combination and costs more per month; look around for threads on this.

Dish has a "whole house" solution coming, the XiP813. Look for an announcement on this at CES in mid January. But it might be only available to new subs in the beginning.

I 'm betting next summer before it hits the market. This is DISH we are talking about and they've never missed a deadline they didn't set. Besides if the 813 is based on the 922 , I wouldn't be looking forward to it. Look at all the bugs the 922 has, as well as all the features it won't do that the 722/722k does now. No google integration , no manual or DISH pass timers through the receiver itself. Plus the FEES haven't been discussed yet for the 110 mini units in each room . I'm sure that DISH will add a large fee for each one. They can't loose all that additional receiver revenue out there by letting subs pay no fee on each one. Oh and I'm sure there will be a large MULTI-VIEW fee added to the now $10.00 dvr they will charge ,just like the 922 has now.

XIP receiver

Just bought a 2nd HDTV so I have to upgrade my 722k SD TV2 connection. Was told for $10/month I could add a 610 but the DVR'd stuff would be stuck on the unit it was recorded on unless I want to drag a external drive around (I don't).

Direct TV has a whole house DVR AND my Samsung just enabled RVU with the 1025 firmware so my wall hung set won't even need a receiver (wife likes that).

My 2 years has long expired so I am free to change but I don't see a sling type feature on DTV.

Don't see a clear choice here (other than changing is a pain).

Knowing me, I will switch to DTV if new customers are upgraded before loyal customers are so I guess it comes down to if anyone knows if that is true?

Thanks

Last edited:
First off.. I disagree with the "dish doesn't have a whole home dvr solution" .... because it does.. the ports on the 722 & 922 are labeled Home Distribution for a reason.

Both Tuner1 and Tuner2 output on the coax. is it HD ? NO.. BUT IT WILL PROVIDE WHOLE HOME DVR Service for two tuners from one box. Start in one room, pause, move to another... that will happen with the current output of even the 625's ... its just not HD in the whole home.

Second ... I strongly recommend *NOT* going with the 922 .. too many times its been posted problems throughout this board.. and that's ABOVE the standard failure of a drive, or some errant failure ... just in programming bugs alone ... for the first 4 or 5 months of 2011 hearing people come home to find they were forced to wipe their hard drives and start over because the drive went "over full" in a matter of hours..

Is the 722 gui as pretty as the 922? no.. but you also have quick menu access (Menu key then number key combo) to quickly get through the levels of menus which the 922 does not have and you're left cursoring everywhere.

ADD to this.. the cost of a 922! $400 or more ... great you'll own it.. but what else will it do for you? Even if you could upgrade to it for 200 ... that 200 would buy you the Sling Adapter, and a decent sized external hard drive that you can then backup to for any and all reasons..

You've been fairly warned.. I will say there are people that like the 922 ... very much so.. but the 722k does everything *substantial* that the 922 can do and without the extra cost. (922 does DLNA too, but that's turned out to be a nightmare for a few folks too, no documented file types, issues with audio streaming etc)

If the Direct whole home set-up is the most important thing to you - with no regard to programming or other considerations, then I would say go to Direct TV.

Just bought a 2nd HDTV so I have to upgrade my 722k SD TV2 connection. Was told for $10/month I could add a 610 but the DVR'd stuff would be stuck on the unit it was recorded on unless I want to drag a external drive around (I don't).

Add a 211 at the 2nd tv. Add an ehd for a 1 time fee of $40 to give it dvr like functions. Hook it up via hdmi and hook thee 722 home distibution up to the antenna in. You can watch what you've recorded on the 722 in SD and what you've recorded on the 211 in HD.

The 922 is not that bad. Some people had some bad experiences but I do not hear many of them anymore. The biggest problem I see about the 922 is the $10 DVR fee.

A little help with dual mode

Adding a timer at Dishonline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts