3x4 Switching Question

ramnet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
Houston, TX
Would something like this work for older Dish Network?

Zinwell SAM3402 DIRECTV Approved 3x4 Multiswitch (SAM3402) | SAM3402 [Zinwell] | SAM-3402 3402 3x4 3 x 4 multiplexer
CP Electronics: MULTISWITCH 3x4 DIRECTV - DISH NETWORK 3x4, SWITCHES & SPLITTERS, SAM3402

I want to add a third receiver without adding another dish, which would mean
getting two of the above and another SW21.
I have dual legacy LNBF's for everything (I got a Dish500 upgrade kit back in early 2000 and that's what I am still using - 2x dual legacy LNBF and 2x SW21's) See Here
I don't want to buy DishPro equipment b/c both my receivers are legacy only (2700 and 3700)

I've read on other forum's/threads that these kinds of switches don't work, but i've also read that legacy dual LNBF's from DN are the same as legacy dual LNBF's from DTV. Because I don't use any combination LNBF/Switches, I suspect this should work.

satplan2ba7.png

will work just fine...since you are using separate LNB's and not a combined setup (Twin or Quad) that will work just fine. Legacy duals that see ONE satellite at a time will work with 3x4 multiswitches

I did that a while back....didnt have a quad and needed 3 receivers setup so did it that way...sure its cumbersome but I used the parts I had :)

Thanks for such a quick response.
I've been trolling for a while and I really value you're opinion Iceberg.

I've gone and ordered a couple of 3x4 switches (no pressure Iceberg:D) for 119 and 110 and will report back on how everything goes (I have a Viewsat FTA box and a DiSEqC switch that I plan to test with before shelling out $$ for a new DN box and another SW21.

Thanks for making my first impression of SatGuys such a positive one :)

I plan to point my old dish 300 at 129 and replace the two SW21's with an SW42 and put one of the old SW21's before the new (planned) HD receiver to grab 129 - I don't think it's possible to chain SW21's together, thus the need for a SW42 instead - please correct me if that's not possible as all my research say's it should work (I have a friend who has a legacy twin with an SW21 attached, and I'm pretty sure the legacy twin is just an SW42 with an LNBF attached).

Last edited:
I plan to point my old dish 300 at 129 and replace the two SW21's with an SW42 and put one of the old SW21's before the new (planned) HD receiver to grab 129 - I don't think it's possible to chain SW21's together, thus the need for a SW42 instead - please correct me if that's not possible as all my research say's it should work (I have a friend who has a legacy twin with an SW21 attached, and I'm pretty sure the legacy twin is just an SW42 with an LNBF attached).

yep that would work fine...you can hook say 110 & 119 to the SW42 and then add the 3rd satellite by hooking the output of the SW42 to side 1 of the SW21 and then the 3rd satellite to port 2....done that recently when I added a 61.5 dish to me setup

And yes a Legacy Twin is in essence 2 dual LNB's with a SW42 built in

it might, but sw64's are hard to come by (rare) and my method doesn't need external power supply.

Besides, flexibility is a good thing :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)