40" C/Ku - Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
iammike said:
Okay guys, took down my 80CM Fortec dish and put up the Primestar dish this weekend. I mounted it on my sg-2100 and have it working reasonably well with KU-band. There's still a little more play in the dish than I'd like, but I'm hitting everything from SBS6 through G13 so I think I've got it installed reasonably well. I started playing with the Cband lnbf, and picked up some analog stuff on IA6. I've got one problem and one observation.

The observation is that I may have too long of coax run from my receiver to the dish. I took my receiver out on the deck and hooked it to the motor with a 12 or so foot piece of coax. On the deck, I was getting a real strong signal and quality. On AMC5, my true south satellite, I was getting a signal strength and quality in the low 80's. In the house, with the dish in the same position, these numbers drop to mid 70's on strength and around 60 on quality. The difference in the numbers is pretty consistent for all satellites. I've got some ideas on things to try on that one, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be.

The problem is that I can't seem to make the receiver move the motor with the Cband lnbf hooked up. It works fine with the KU lnbf though. I'm using a Fortec receiver, other than changing the lnbf type in antenna setup is there anything else I should change? Incidentally, what is the correct setting on a Fortec for the lnbf (I'm using an ASC421)?

Thanks,
Mike

Motor problems & lower signal when the receiver is inside the house :

Disconnect the C band LNB from the motor & see if the Fortec will move the receiver properly ?

How long is the coax run ?

Check & re-terminate the coax , as necessary .

Consider as a last resort an inline amp , like they sell for DTV ?

Wyr

9999 said:
Hey PSB or anyone else who have tried...How is the analog reception on the mini-BUD, particularly those who have tried it on a primestar?

I do not have a PrimeStar, but here is ABC on IA5 from Northwest NC. I am using a Patriot 1.2 and Cband Lnb. The EIRP from my location is 38 and this analog channel is definitely watchable.

Attachments

• DSCF0860.JPG
    DSCF0860.JPG
    446 KB · Views: 311
PSB said:
Getting MUCH better results now watching some GREAT stuff that can't be mentioned here, but my signal quality has jumped to around 45% on some channels at the top of the arc (Satwork 3618). Thanks to the recent storm I off-set the mast to 45 deg. the same angle as my motor, dropped the elevation until I was bang on the Clarke Belt and now I have a poor mans "H to H" mount. Its making life a lot easier as my satellite meter of course always wants to land on the REAL strong DBS and KU satellites.

You lost me there , about the 45 degree offset? Please explain ?

Please PM me .

Thanks ,
Wyr

I off set the mast, so instead of being straight up and down I tilted it back at a 45 deg angle. 45 deg is the angle (and or latitude) used on motors here in the Minneapolis area. So as I moved the dish from east to west it follows the Clarke Belt in the sky! Hitting every satellite in the arc!

Why not, I would start with Anik F1 at 107w VERY strong signal!

Final Setup

Ok, this thread got really long and I had a hard time figuring out what the final setups were. I think Pete is all the way up to 1.8m now...while some are still banging away at 1m setup. Could people who have successfully gotten C-band on a "non c-band" dishes 1m+- please quickly run down THEIR best configuration so far.

I am hoping that one of you has a 1m setup that works ok and can be readily duplicated.

fta_cool said:
I do not have a PrimeStar, but here is ABC on IA5 from Northwest NC. I am using a Patriot 1.2 and Cband Lnb. The EIRP from my location is 38 and this analog channel is definitely watchable.

Any luck with digital C band on IA 5 ?

How about any other channels ?

Thanks
Wyr

Sierra Matt said:
I know I saw it somewhere in here, but can someone plase post a link where I can buy a ASC 421? Thanks!

Matt

Check out PSB few posts up. HE has a link to his website. I got mine at a very decent price from him.

fta_cool said:

What is the best way to do a screen shot like you posted ?

Thanks ,
Wyr

easiest way I do them is take a picture of the TV :)

please use the attachment option when you post them...makes the dial up people happy :)

Iceberg said:
easiest way I do them is take a picture of the TV :)

please use the attachment option when you post them...makes the dial up people happy :)

I will try that , maybe have to figure out how to turn off the flash ?

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.