40" C/Ku - Band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Definitely would be willing to purchase a pre-made kit!!!

As stated in the title, I would definitely be willing to purchase a pre-made kit since I have an SG2100 motor, and one of the new LNBs on order from Pete. This would bring my ability to play with this hobby to a whole new level, as my HOA would not be too happy with a dish much larger than those being discussed in this thread.

If this comes to pass, definitely let me know, as I would step to the front of the line to purchase such a kit, provided that it is reasonably priced (yuk, yuk).

greyskies in Sunny South Florida (already rained this AM, so it is sunny again).

Just received my cone shaped scalar ring from Alec, THANKS. I was already pointing at Anik F1 ASN getting around 39% quality fluctuating quite a bit. As soon as I put on the new scalar ring the fluctuation stopped and the signal seemed to stabilize at around 40% quality. Does not sound like a lot but on a Satworks that's quite a bit. The main test will be the on analog channels. Pictures also to follow.

Attachments

• Pict0006.JPG
    Pict0006.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 313
  • Pict0002.JPG
    Pict0002.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 255
  • Pict0007.JPG
    Pict0007.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 232
Look for "The Word Network" on G11. They're testing a C Band MPEG transponder. Sorry but I didn't record the digital settings. I got 99% quality with my 36" Fortec while testing my dual feed.

Pete, if your dish is oval sideways, you'll need an oval cone. The round cone should work better with the regular off set dishes. Theres a post in the " Ku adapter " thread with three links, click on first one, has photos of an extreme oval cone.

Alec, what is the cost of one of those "engineered" scalar rings?

Oval cone

Questic, I have no idea what one would cost. It could be just as easy to go with a round cone and a conventoinal offset dish. If your skilled with tin snips, I believe you could build one out of some somewhat riggid aluminum sheet. Ive attached photo of another example of an oval cone. ...........um, have you guys thought of using those fancy dishes for target practice ?

Attachments

• philipsSX_LNBs.jpg
    philipsSX_LNBs.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 275
Eat, Sleep, Scalar

After reading a little about scalars...

Would an upside down Bowl shape not work better at reflecting noise away from LNB?

I have built one in CAD but I am still trying to mimic the C-Band noise signals to test. I should have the CAD model complete tonight as long as weather (lightning) permits.

As the model stands now, The signal bounces off of dish and into the LNB, I have two other sats to left and right for noise. My formula needs a little tweaking as I am only reflecting noise from the right, although this could have something to do with the "SCALAR" form I am using.

Assume this linear model:
d=degrees from next nearest sat
((((8)))))=TARGET sat

SAT-A [2d] SAT-B[4d] ((((8)))) [2d] SAT-C [4d]SAT-D

So far I have created an upside down bowl with and without inset rings, a bell shape, and complete scale copy of my dish. Anybody have any other shapes they want me to plug into the CAD formula and try once it is going?

I should have a couple "tangible" scalars made by the time the LNB gets here.

Once again, this is all thoery because nothing has been fabricated, much less tested.

Alec said:
Pete, if your dish is oval sideways, you'll need an oval cone. The round cone should work better with the regular off set dishes. Theres a post in the " Ku adapter " thread with three links, click on first one, has photos of an extreme oval cone.

I have a regular 36" offset dish I may try next, its more round than oval. Its also steel maybe thats the way to go then. Its slightly smaller than the oval 40" P* so I will try that next, all the best Alec :)

The above was worse. And focal point was WAY higher than usual!

Back to the 40" P* and ASC-421

Picked up the below tonight, slight break up signal quality around 37% on a Satwork 3618.

Alter Globe

Mega Cosmo

Sky TG 24

I was really HAPPY at last pick up a version of SKY TV here in the USA. (Spanish)

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc12.html

Interesting, I had made a plastic cone, lined with aluminum tape for a Ku lnb, a photo of it on last page of Ku adapter thread. You might be able to build an oval variation of the cone for that fancy dish of yours.

"plastic cone" I am following that thread closely. Great work Alec! I am hoping for a bigger dish soon, but I am interested in improving reception so let me know if you have any ideas/dimensions.

I tried PAS 9 and had a lock but no channels popped up, I am still trying as/when time permits.

And WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys FTA Forum too :welcome

Usually when you get a lock but no channel means the signal is too low for the box to register it.

When I blind scan, I can get stuff that has a 10 quality so it locks but the unit cant see what it is, so it doesnt store the channels.

Plastic cone

PSB, you can make a dirt cheap oval cone by starting with a flat piece of plastic , maybe a folder from office supply. Coat plastic with rubber cement, then carefuly laminate kitchen foil , dont trap bubbles. Start with out side dia of apox 12", shape into cone w/ 45 deg side. You might go out and look at your dish the way your lnb sees it , then trim cone to oval shape from lnb's view. Attached is scetch of what Im thinking.

Attachments

• plastic oval.JPG
    plastic oval.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 178
Primestar Dish

Well, I finally went a got a Primestar 40"x30" oval dish for $49.00 on Ebay. :) :)

It is a new unit and I do not know anything about it except I will be able to play around with it and my C-Band LNBF and General Instruments Super 350i. Once I get the dish I will probably have a zillion questions about setting it up.

Just giving you guys some advance warning!

MrM

MrMylesG said:
Well, I finally went a got a Primestar 40"x30" oval dish for $49.00 on Ebay. :) :)

It is a new unit and I do not know anything about it except I will be able to play around with it and my C-Band LNBF and General Instruments Super 350i. Once I get the dish I will probably have a zillion questions about setting it up.

Just giving you guys some advance warning!

MrM

Is that shipped?

Primestar

No unfortunately. $40 shipping, but still a bargain for $89. I drove down to

Astro Too
6949 W NASA Blvd
W Melbourne, FL 32904
P) 321-727-9010 F) 321-727-9709

this weekend and saw the supply of surplus dishes they have there. Very impressive but none had dish mounts, supports, or LNBF arms. Just dishes themselves. I started to pick up a couple of dishes for $10 a piece but I would have to fabricate the rest of the thing. I could have but it is so much easier to buy the thing new, with all the goodies included.

I figure the 40" dish will keep me on good terms with the HOA. I am thinking about keeping it set up for C-band and aimed at one satellite, at least for now.

MrM

Shipping is what is killing my buying one of these on ebay. Surely here in Manhattan(not NY), I can find one in someone's yard they don't want. I have a garage saler on the hunt for me too.

Mr. M,
Channel Master 1.2M Dish from Astro Too - $10 (C-Band and KU-Band)
Channel Master 1.2M Feed Support Arms from Future Vision - $20
Can of spray paint - $4
Homemade lightweight mount for H-H motor - $10
Total Cost: $44

Primestar 40X30 Dish w/ Mount from Astro Too - $10
Primestar Feed Support Arm from Future Vision - $15
Can of Spray Paint - $4
Total Cost: $29

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Which is a better dish

Do you have C-Band, KU band or both?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts