622 Bug - "new to me"

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I want to find out if this is just me or if its a software issue.

A few months ago I started noticing that when I am recording an OTA channel while watching a DVR recording from any source I get a "Lost satellite signal" error over no video and no audio whenever the OTA tuner loses signal for an extended period of time (more than a second or so). Pressing the DVR button instantly restores the video from the DVR which never stopped playing (I have to back up the recording to see the part covered up with the error screen over black.

Some added info:

This also happens when watching "live" satellite channels while the DVR is recording OTA.

The lost sat signal screen shows lost signal for whatever channel is on satellite tuner 1 regardless of what source you are watching (DVR, SAT2, SAT1).

The error screen will not go away on its own. It will stay there for days if you let it. But all DVRs record no problem... it seems to be only what is displayed on the screen.

This only happens when I have flaky OTA reception like tonight with a windy evening blowing trees around causing lots of multi-phasing

This problem also happens if you go to a DVR event and were on an OTA channel when you started playing the DVR event. If you stop the DVR event, go to a satellite channel and go back to the DVR event from that, you don't see the problem any more.
----
So, does this sound familiar to anyone with a 622/722? Again, this started happening in the last few months (maybe the beginning of the year). Since it is a problem which requires very specific situations, it doesn't happen often. But it's very annoying when it does.

See ya
Tony

I do wish they'd get rid of that screen or just limit it to one time per recording. I haven't had it pop up since last summer while recording OTA when thunderstorms rolled through. When it popped up I would sometimes switch to local sat to record instead of OTA to avoid the interruptions during playback, hence some benefit to seeing it once.

I have also seen that message when watching something pre-recorded while not recording anything, so I just change the OTA channel to a sat channel to avoid seeing it again.

So, yes, I have had it happen pretty much as you described. I know it's just to let the viewer know why there's a "skip" in the recording, but it's extremely annoying just the same, particularly as I have had times when the recording is mostly the message and almost no program. It can even sometimes pop up when I can see the pre-recorded program perfectly at the edges of the message, but, as you said, you still have to punch buttons to make the message go away.

I want to find out if this is just me or if its a software issue.

A few months ago I started noticing that when I am recording an OTA channel while watching a DVR recording from any source I get a "Lost satellite signal" error over no video and no audio whenever the OTA tuner loses signal for an extended period of time (more than a second or so). Pressing the DVR button instantly restores the video from the DVR which never stopped playing (I have to back up the recording to see the part covered up with the error screen over black.

Some added info:

This also happens when watching "live" satellite channels while the DVR is recording OTA.

The lost sat signal screen shows lost signal for whatever channel is on satellite tuner 1 regardless of what source you are watching (DVR, SAT2, SAT1).

The error screen will not go away on its own. It will stay there for days if you let it. But all DVRs record no problem... it seems to be only what is displayed on the screen.

This only happens when I have flaky OTA reception like tonight with a windy evening blowing trees around causing lots of multi-phasing

This problem also happens if you go to a DVR event and were on an OTA channel when you started playing the DVR event. If you stop the DVR event, go to a satellite channel and go back to the DVR event from that, you don't see the problem any more.
----
So, does this sound familiar to anyone with a 622/722? Again, this started happening in the last few months (maybe the beginning of the year). Since it is a problem which requires very specific situations, it doesn't happen often. But it's very annoying when it does.

See ya
Tony

It happens on 722 as well. You can be watch a DVR event and if you lose tuners, it will even disrupt the dvr event until you hit guide or dvr. The other day, an ota station went off the air and the 722 would not stop flashing that damn message while I was watching a 'recorded' dvr event. They need to fix that asap.

I'm glad to hear this. I am getting a "new" 622 from Dish to replace my failing unit for other reasons. I am just happy that this is not a problem with the unit.

My present 622 went on a reboot spree yesterday. Only unplugging it would break it from its cycle of reboots. It happened every time I tried to change the channel on the OTA tuner. It seems to be stable today...

Add my vote to getting this issue fixed. Pain in the butt. Although good tip to switch the channel off OTA to avoid the issue. Never thought of that. :up

When the OTA is being recorded, the signal loss message will take over whatever you're doing even if you've brought up a satellite channel to view. My formerly rock-solid best-in-market HD CW station has become unwatchable due to signal loss, so I'm getting rather proficient with the workarounds.

Have had the same problem with our 622s except it happens on National Channels. For instance, when watching channel 205, we lose signal. Rather than wait for this to supposedly clear itself, I drop down one channel and immediately go back to 205. Channel reappears without a problem.

Yes, I've had this happen too. I haven't found any causation for it yet. It seems to happen at random times. I'm sure its a specific set of circumstances, but I am not sure what it is.

See ya
Tony

The only time i've had this happen is when the OTA gets set as the pip source... If i start loosing signals while watching a recorded event, or on the sat tuner on a clear day... I press "pip" & typcally see either a black screen or blocky OTA... i do the swap, set it for a sat channel, turn off pip, and go about my business... it's a pain, but it works...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but we are having this issue too. The OTA tuner finally went out on the unit so I'm going to call and see about getting the unit replaced. My fear is that the issue will not go away as we see it while watching and recording satellite channels. It's weird because the error screen will stay up but if I click ok and rewind we can see everything that was missed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)