622 Replacement Question

rgerst

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
Fairhope, AL
I contacted Matt at DIRT yesterday because I have a failing 622 that needs to be replaced. My setup includes two 622's in my home and I decided that I no longer needed two dual tuners. I asked for the bad 622 to be replaced with a 211k. Matt was extremely helpful and quickly arranged for the replacement.

My only concern is that they could not guarantee that I would receive a 211k. Matt said he could only order a 211 and I may get any of the 211, 211k or 211z. After further research, I think I will be very unhappy with a 211z as a replacement for a VIP622. It does not have an OTA receiver and it appears that the only digital audio out is via HDMI.

Why can't Dish tell me which receiver model that they will ship when there are significant differences between a 211, 211k and 211z?

I contacted Matt at DIRT yesterday because I have a failing 622 that needs to be replaced. My setup includes two 622's in my home and I decided that I no longer needed two dual tuners. I asked for the bad 622 to be replaced with a 211k. Matt was extremely helpful and quickly arranged for the replacement.

My only concern is that they could not guarantee that I would receive a 211k. Matt said he could only order a 211 and I may get any of the 211, 211k or 211z. After further research, I think I will be very unhappy with a 211z as a replacement for a VIP622. It does not have an OTA receiver and it appears that the only digital audio out is via HDMI.

Why can't Dish tell me which receiver model that they will ship when there are significant differences between a 211, 211k and 211z?

The 211 and 211k is now phased out. They may not have one to send you. Right now Dish is only using 211z receivers for installs and upgrades.

It is all about functional equivalence. In the grand scheme, everything should be HDMI by now and having all sorts of additional options only adds cost. The ATSC tuner is a very costly add-on for the relatively small number that can reasonably use them.

If you don't want to run the risk, you can absolutely go around DISH to acquire what you think you need as a leased (or purchased if you're a glutton for punishment) receiver.

On the other side of the DBS marketplace, they will send you a receiver that doesn't have an ATSC tuner, cannot be readily converted to a DVR and chances are it won't have RF remote (without an extra-cost antenna) or optical digital audio.

An excellent question. While the 411/211/211k receivers might be functionally equivalent, I don't see a 211z as close enough to qualify. Note that some people who got their 722s replaced with a 722k w/o tuner have gotten the MTA2 plug-in module for free. Perhaps you could get the USB dongle (for free) if you get stuck with a 211z. That wouldn't solve your digital audio output problem, though. Perhaps you have such on your TV instead?

Thanks for the response. I did not realize that Dish had phased out the 211k. Based on this information, I will assume that Dish will send me a 211z.

Will the 211z function as a DVR with the addition of an EHD?

Is there any way to add OTA to the 211z? Thanks for your help!!

Update: I received a VIP211 today and I am happy with the receiver. The older model still has OTA on board and the EHD to DVR function works great. So happy that I was not sent a 211z. Thanks again for your help Matt. DIRT comes through again!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)