622 Set-up Questions/help

EAGLES

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Just purchased a new 32" Samsung LCD for our bedroom. My 622 for this TV is on the way. Just a couple of questions. My other 622 is hooked up to an older Sony via component so I'm not too familiar with the HDMI side of things.

#1 - Will the HDMI input provide sound to the TV? I have no amp or sound system in my room. Just need sound to the TV.

#2 - Can I diplex "one" of my sat feeds with my OTA feed to avoid running a third cable the full length.

#3 - The TV owners manual mentions possible screen burn if you use the 4:3 picture mode for extended periods. My personal preference for viewing non-hd programming has always been in the 4:3 mode. All other combos I've tried have had too much distortion for my taste. I've never had a problem with screen burn on my 51" rear projection Sony. It's about 4 years old. Are these LCD's more susceptible to burn in? Anybody out there have any input or advice on this?

#4 - One more non-622 related. The 622 I have coming is replacing my 625. I want to use the 625 to replace my 510 and 508 and turn them back in to Dish. Is it ok to power two twin tuners from the same multi-switch? In this case it would be a 34 switch.

Any help or thoughts with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'll answer some of them:

1. Yes, HDMI has video and sound. They turned on 5.1 through HDMI with the latest software.

2. I wouldn't do it but others have done it. So yes it can be done.

4. Yes, you can run 4 tuners with a DP34 so you're OK with a 622 and a 625. You'll need two cables to each receiver.

I can only answer the odd numbered questions ;)

#1 - Yes, HDMI carries both video and audio, you should be fine with just the HDMI cable, which may or may not come with your 622. If not, order one from www.monoprice.com, or other online sources to avoid paying the exorbitant prices at most big box stores.

#3 - Burn in is really only a concern for CRT and Plasma screens, and even then only a minor concern for a properly calibrated TV. LCD will have no problems with burn in, so feel free to watch it the way you want, no risk there.

Hopefully, you'll get the even numbered questions answered, too

I'll answer some of them:

1. Yes, HDMI has video and sound. They turned on 5.1 through HDMI with the latest software.

2. I wouldn't do it but others have done it. So yes it can be done.

4. Yes, you can run 4 tuners with a DP34 so you're OK with a 622 and a 625. You'll need two cables to each receiver.

RANDALLA,

Thanks for the reply. Why wouldn't you use a diplexer for the OTA/SAT run? Does it take away from one or the other or create potential problems?

I do it on two tvs in my house with 622s and a terk 44 so it does work. I do it at my parents house too with the same set up. DIplexors are the easiest way to get both sat and ota on the same coax.

I do it on two tvs in my house with 622s and a terk 44 so it does work. I do it at my parents house too with the same set up. DIplexors are the easiest way to get both sat and ota on the same coax.

MikeD,
Do you notice any signal loss on the diplexed OTA compared with the non-diplexed run? I'm assuming one of your 622's does not have a diplexed OTA. Thanks

Dish Network does not recommend to use diplexers between LNBs and switches. It's OK to use diplexers between LNBs and receivers. As I said, others are using them without any problems but I will not do it myself.

Any diplexer has some loss associated with it (~1.5dB? varies by model). This won't affect your sat. signals appreciably, but if your OTA signals are weak/marginal then that added loss could impair your signal noticeably. Make sure any diplexer you use can handle (pass) the DC power on the sat. side needed by the LNB(s).

Depending on your switches you may ne able to do it with ONE cable per TV anda separator.

i would use the diplexers after the switch. As for loss---maybe. best way to find out is to try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts