811 and OTA

desiguy2447

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2004
I was checking my OTA CBS channel 28.1 on Saturday night and noticed when I typed in 028-1 on the 811 the channel jumped to 028-2 to the UPN channel that WGFL broadcasts here in Gainesville FL. (WGFL broadcasts CBS HD and UPN DT from the same tower).

I can't seem to get 028-01 back I've tried to rescan and add it manually also rebooted the 811 with no luck. (was trying hard to watch the NCAA in HD) but had to settle for Dish local CBS channel for Gainesville.

I'm thinking the problem is on WGFL's side and not the 811?

Anyone experienced this OTA problem before?

Look on your "All Sub" guide list. It may have appeared there as 53-1 instead of 28-1. Officially, all digital stations are supposed to start identifying their digital as sub-channels of their analog channel number not their digital channel number. This was scheduled to occur on Feb. 1st of this year but many stations have been unable to get the equipment installed to make it happen. I work for a station in that situation. I have seen some of my competitors' channel numbers switch back and forth from their digital to analog channel identifiers several times lately as they install the equipment. It confuses the 811 somewhat but it always seems to follow whatever the stations are sending out.

We currently identify our HD subchannel as 19-1 (referring to our analog channel number) and our other subchannels as 27-2 and 27-3 (referring to our digital channel number). This will change when our equipment and software are installed to 19-1,19-2, and 19-3.

Try to check with another source if possible. Sounds like a PSIP error, which would be a station bug, and you should e-mail them.

My HD TV does not have a built in OTA tunner. I'm going to email WGFL it seems like some PSIP and or a station bug.

I am near Gainesville, FL and also noticed the problem yesterday on WGFL 28-1. I have never had a problem with it before. I don't have E*, just a tv with a build in hd tuner so I don't think it is your 811. If you find anything out please post and let me know.

Glad you posted.. I still haven't gotten 28-1 back either.. My friend has COX Cable in Gainesville the Digital and HD service and the CBS HD channel on COX went out of service with a nice black screen. So we can both relax now and hope that Pegsus communications fixes the issue.. (We call them Pegsusuck).

My friend also told me with CBS HD on COX they also have the pixeling problems. So it has nothing to do with our atenna's it a WGFL Problem.

I sent an email to WGFL still no reply.. They never write back!!

Looks like next weekend I'm going to put my dish 300 back up in the 61.5 direction next to my super dish to get CBS HD from NYC since I have the grandfather waiver provided WGFL isn't back!!

I will post an update whenever Pegsusuck gets CBS-DT/HD back up!! So much for watching the NCAA on 4-2-04 in HD!!

As of Wednesday night, I still had no CBS and UPN (28-2) had gone out also. I really hope they are moving to their new tower for the Final Four. I guess we will find out. I will be very unhappy if I don't get the Final Four in HD.

I had UPN at 28-2 wed at 3:50pm but I didn't check it at night. I didn't check yesterday, but I will do it today once I get home.. If WGFL is moving to the new high powered tower that will be awesome.

Will give an update once it comes back!!

The WGFL CBS DT/HD feed at channel 28.1 is back on as of yesterday night. (probably will go off after the NCAA game tonight).

I think they were trying to get their guide info up. Friday, I checked and both 28-1 and 28-2 were up. I hit the guide button and 28-1 cbs had all of their guide info. 20 minutes later though it was all gone. This is probably what they've been working on all week. But cbs was on for the two games Saturday. Just as long as it stays on for the championship game tonight and the Masters this weekend.

The CBS DT/HD channel at 28-1 is gone again!! Hopefully WGFL will turn it back on at 9pm for the final NCAA game!

I watched about half of the championship game in HD. Then WGFL started getting pixelated and then totally dropped out. I went from 80% signal to nothing. I don't think it was my antenna because I still got my other digital OTA channels fine. I even was getting a FOX channel 13 from who knows where. So I was stuck watching the rest of the game in crappy analog. WGFL really needs to get there stuff together.

I second that WGFL needs to get there stuff together.. While my signal stayed at 78% to 80% or the first half, I didn't watch the second half. The audio was probmatic with WGFL last night. When WGFL went to commericals the audio was fine, but once the HD feed came back the audio wasn't very clear. The picture was really good for the first half with no pixel issues.

If Pegasus would move to the new high powered tower we would all get really high signal strength around 90 to 95 percent like with WUFT (PBS). WGFL has had a permit from the FCC for this new high powered tower for a while now not sure what the hold up is with Pegasus. I do know it takes 10 months to get the antenna up.

bowens said:
I watched about half of the championship game in HD. Then WGFL started getting pixelated and then totally dropped out. I went from 80% signal to nothing. I don't think it was my antenna because I still got my other digital OTA channels fine. I even was getting a FOX channel 13 from who knows where. So I was stuck watching the rest of the game in crappy analog. WGFL really needs to get there stuff together.

Your Fox 13 was probably digital 12 mapped to 13.1 from Tampa WTVT FOX13

Marty43 said:
Your Fox 13 was probably digital 12 mapped to 13.1 from Tampa WTVT FOX13

That was really odd then because I am about 100 miles NNE of Tampa and had my antenna pointed directly east towards Gainesville, so that is strange that I would get channel 13 at such a strong signal.

Fox from Tampa!! Our local Fox WOGX, which is owned by the Fox corporation still has no plans for going HD. Something to do with cost of buying equipment to go HD. They already have a DT tower up and on. I think they will go HD once ABC comes online in August of this year. (All we are missing is an NBC station)

I'll be happy when just ABC starts HD. I hope it is in August like it is supposed to be. Then I'll be able to get both Florida State (YEAH!!!) and Florida (my fiance) football games in HD. FOX would be nice for some NFL stuff too.

I'm hoping to get my rotator on my antenna fixed and I think I could get ABC and FOX out of Orlando or Tampa pretty well. I've got them at night before with the antenna not pointing in their directions at all. So if I can get the antenna pointed right they should come in with a pretty strong signal. I'm having the satellite installers check my rotator today, so hopefully it's something simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)