922 News

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Effective Nov. 13, a ViP 922 receiver added to a new or existing account will not have Sling functionality enabled.Existing accounts with a Sling-enabled ViP 922 receiver will retain Sling functionality.

Well, what is the point in not just shredding the remaining inventory and be done with that bad chapter in the history book?

Reactions: navychop
Seems a petty way to get people on the Hopper. When I had the 922, it was a very positive experience with no real problems (just the typical Dish problems). In fact, I prefer the colors of the 922 EPG to the Hopper's EPG colors. I do wish they would change the Hopper EPG colors to the 922.

not necessarily to encourage them to go to the hopper, but to get away from the 922 all together... it was already taken off the shelf awhile back, and people are still trying to add them. They are a pain in the ass already...

When I had the 922 I never used the sling function, I only switched to it for a better GUI, while having the same two television functionality of a 722K. I can say that each unit had its own distinct personality. I did not find a stable one that worked without problems until the fifth replacement.

I wasn't sure it was still available for new customers , I would not think unless you were a satellite guy one would know the 922 as a new customer

It hasn't been available for new customers through dish. Retailers could still sell it, and people can still activate purchased ones from say, Amazon. I think this effectively eliminates people from wanting to start adding them on.

Does this effect those who have one but in the future need to replace it? Say it goes bad and they do an exchange, will they lose sling? I know that would surely enrage me if I were in that situation.

Reactions: papita
This is a copy of the email I just received from Dish Depot
Dear Dish Depot Patrons,
Sling Functionality being disabled Effective Nov. 13, 2014

DISH ViP 922
It is your last chance to add a 922 to your account and have Sling Enabled!
Effective Nov. 13, 2014 a ViP 922 receiver added to a new or existing account will not have Sling functionality enabled. Existing accounts with a Sling-enable ViP 922 receiver will retain functionality.

If an existing Sling-enabled receiver must be exchanged, the replacement receiver will also
be authorized with Sling functionality. Existing
customers who have a Sling-enabled ViP 922 receiver and who are on DISH Pause (vacation mode), will also continue to have Sling functionality when they resume.

We have plenty in stock and can provide receiver information if you wish to add a 922 with sling functionality before November 11th, so you have 2 days to order.

I got it too. I can't believe that after all the trouble they had with the 922 in the past , that they will now disable the sling function? The main reason I got rid of my 922 a year after I got it ,was the buggy software and the fact that the sling function never seemed to work correctly in the first place. They must be disabling it so they push customers to upgrade to the hopper /joey system. More revenue to be had with the hopper/joeys than just the 922 dvr fee. Wouldn't be surprised if they decided to jack the dvr fee on the Vip receivers in an attempt to push more subs to upgrade to the hopper/joey system too. They get more average revenue per sub with the hopper system than the Vip system. Then they could also stop supporting the Dual tuner Vip receivers, if they push the fees high enough so that they have either parity with the hopper/joey system or almost as high . People would see no reason not to upgrade, if they are going to pay more to keep an older system or they start disabling functions on the older systems.

According to the email I got from Dishdepot.com tonight, even if you replace your 922 because it is crapping out , they will let you keep the sling function. As long as you have your 922 activated on your account before Nov. 13.

Reactions: papita
It's built into the receiver. Why not let it be enabled? Dish makes very little sense in some of the decisions they make. :facepalm

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Makes sense if you are trying to do away with the 922 and you want your existing subs to upgrade to the hopper/joey system. DISH gets much more average revenue per sub with those hopper accounts than the older Vip system. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if DISH decided to hike the dvr fee on the Vip receivers next in order to push them to upgrade too. They already hiked the Vip dvr fee from $6.00 to $7.00 like last year. They could easily push the dvr fee to the same as the hopper at $12.00. Then most would say what is the point keeping the older system if I pay as much as the hopper and don't get as much in functionality. Of course once they do the upgrade to the hopper, they find out they need the joey for the 2nd room to see in hd and there is another $7.00 that DISH got out of the sub. So from Vip $7.00 monthly fee to $19.00 for the same two room system with the Hopper and one joey. I can see DISH doing this easily come February or in the near future like June, after the annual February price hike. IN the past they have done this exact thing : a price hike in February and another equipment or dvr fee change come June .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts