922 News

Any new thoughts on why Dish is doing this bizarre thing? I'm suspicious the sling stream turned out to be insecure.

Any new thoughts on why Dish is doing this bizarre thing? I'm suspicious the sling stream turned out to be insecure.

I'll ask on the Portal if they have any reason for it. I don't think any retailers commented on the announcement since no one carries them anymore.

Reactions: TheKrell
I had a 922 from the testing days up until the Hopper came out and I really enjoyed the receiver. I had a few random reboots but that was it. I never had the issues that other people talk about on here and I know there are other like me that did have a good experience with it. There's a chance you may be just as happy as I was with your new 922.

This whole thing makes absolutely no sense to me. It doesn't make any difference in dollars to Dish whether someone can use sling or not. I was going to replace my 722 in the den with a 922 since I like the GUI but not interested in a Hopper. We just moved and our new house has cable available so between this and the whole CNN thing, it may not be a concern now. ;)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just looked at my inventory and I see that I still have one 922 receiver in stock. It's going to me hard for me to get rid of that thing especially with a higher DVR fee. It makes no sense having that higher fee when it doesn't have Sling enabled.

Sell it as the larger hard drive and updated GUI.
This whole thing makes absolutely no sense to me. It doesn't make any difference in dollars to Dish whether someone can use sling or not. I was going to replace my 722 in the den with a 922 since I like the GUI but not interested in a Hopper. We just moved and our new house has cable available so between this and the whole CNN thing, it may not be a concern now. ;)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Unless they want people to stop using the 922 altogether one day. Best way to get it off the market, disable features of it. Persuade to move to a 722, or a hopper. The 922 was a concept receiver, and never got the proper attention it needed, and has suffered greatly because of it. @Scherrman said he liked his, but I have hated almost everyone of those I have come across. Even in the call centers, there was mixed reviews. They don't even offer it as a upgrade option thru dish directly anymore. Has to be purchased elsewhere. Has nothing to do with wanting everyone to get a hopper, but more wanting everyone to not have a 922.

I've never even had to call them. The chat is very convenient. I even started my service (no contract, purchased equipment) on chat. I've also gotten free premiums and bill credits thru chat. One time I did have to wait 10 minutes for a rep (but that was after the Turner channels were removed) but every other time it was a minute or less.

Anybody here expect ViP receivers, other than the ViP211, to be offered 5 years from now? 3?

That's a tough question. Look at the changing in the TV model self. How fast are things changing. 5 years ago, the 722 was still a fairly new concept, and the 625 was seasoned. Here we are today, and the 625 is still semi relevant, for those that don't want hd at all. Even the 322 is still relevant, and that has been how many years? This could all change with a major shift though, in 4k and OTT service. I think there will be vip option for many years to come, but that opinion could change with a simple change in the entire market.

Anybody here expect ViP receivers, other than the ViP211, to be offered 5 years from now? 3?

Good question. I find myself asking that same question from time to time. It sure seems that Dish is making the full push towards the Hopper and if the customer doesn't want the Hopper then they get 211z receivers. It's going to take a while to get rid of the 722k since it's such a great receiver but I think the writing is on the wall.

Hopper not starting

HWS - Degradation in performance when all tuners in use

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)