Adventures in Dish Hunting 2009

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nice looking Winegard Pinnacle, I would keep a eye on it & you may end up with it.
Found this one yesterday, out in the country north of Tulsa. Still in use according to the misses of the house and probably true as I saw no pizza dishes around either.

The LNBF that is currently on it is a data transmitter and receiver combo for receiving high speed internet from satellite.

I won't be using it. :)

linuxman is that Lnbf that is on your 6 foot Prodelin not suitable for linear Ku band FTA use. Because if it is and you don't want to use it let me know I may want to git it from you. For I can use it on my 1.2 meter Prodelin dish.:)

Nice looking Winegard Pinnacle, I would keep a eye on it & you may end up with it.

Thanks, I have a 7.5 ft Unimesh, and no place to put another one right now. Too many trees at our lake place or I would have several out there. I also know where 8 Birdviews are that I keep an eye on. These Winegards are pretty common around here, as are the UniMesh dishes. I have seen one Paraclipse and of course there are lots of Fiberglass dishes around, that I don't want to mess with. I will inquire about the 10ft channelmaster I saw last week, when I can get back over that way, as it seems some people have posted that they are nice dishes too.

I am interested in Linuxman's success with the Prodelin he just aquired as I know where one has been sitting for a while on a former Wal Mart building. The building has been vacant for 4 years as Wal Mart still pays a lease on it, until it is occupied. There is also one on a former Target building that just closed 6 months ago.

linuxman is that Lnbf that is on your 6 foot Prodelin not suitable for linear Ku band FTA use. Because if it is and you don't want to use it let me know I may want to git it from you. For I can use it on my 1.2 meter Prodelin dish.:)

You aren't the first to ask. :)

The sad thing is, whoever took it down off the building didn't bother to cover the connectors in the back, and there was a hole in the lens of the feed-horn, so when we took the arm off and laid the LNBF on the ground, water ran out both ends. :eek:

I doubt it will be of much use now. :(

Besides the thing weighs about 5 lbs. :yikes:

I am interested in Linuxman's success with the Prodelin he just aquired as I know where one has been sitting for a while on a former Wal Mart building. The building has been vacant for 4 years as Wal Mart still pays a lease on it, until it is occupied. There is also one on a former Target building that just closed 6 months ago.

Will hopefully have some results sooon. :)

the stars are favorable . . .

A little update on my Birdview saga.
The one in San Diego hasn't gotten back to me since ... Xmas or so.
About 110 miles, each way.

The local (20 miles is local around here) white solid was discovered just a week ago.
Today I went by and knocked on the door.
The wife watches some few remaining "feeds" occasionally.
The husband probably spent more time in his machine shop garage, making all sorts of cool goodies with his lathe and mill !
The just got DirecTV two months ago, so that was a good sign.

It's not been serviced, nor upgraded since new in maybe 1985.
So, that probably means pot feedback to the original Birdview receiver! - :eek:
They never wanted to pay for encrypted service of any sort (no 4DTV box).
So, I'm guessing they see just a very few ANALOG feeds that may still be on the air!
Yes, I think DirecTV will be a big wake-up call for them! - :up

Ya sort of expect to meet nice 'n friendly people out in the country side, but right here in suburbia I couldn't have asked for better.
I spent a couple of hours chewing the fat with 'em, looking at the dish, discussing how to get it out through their fence/gate, and even how to deal with the cement it was planted in!
This one is on the north side of the house, and so the motor is mounted at maybe the six-foot height!
That means plenty of that 6" tubing!

It's not a done-deal 'till it's in my back yard, but for my first BUD request, it went well. :)
I see how you guys who go out BUD hunting can have such great success.

It's not a done-deal 'till it's in my back yard, but for my first BUD request, it went well.

Careful!!!

This could lead to a whole new sport for you!!

It can be expensive. Could involve buying a trailer to pull behind your vehicle, or heaven forbid a Pickup Truck.

Also leads to an over-whelming urge to greatly expand your dish farm. Multiple BUDS in your yard etc.

Great job Anole!!!

I knew you could do it. :cool:

Well I went and got the perforated birdview today the other birdview BUD turned out to be a DUD as her husband had took it apart and sold some of it for scrap.:( This dish turned out to have the 8 magnet sensor conversion. It also has been converted to a 110 to 1 gear ratio motor. :cool: Take a look at the pics and let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• Birdview 003.jpg
    Birdview 003.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 261
  • Birdview 006.jpg
    Birdview 006.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 242
  • Birdview 010.jpg
    Birdview 010.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Birdview 005.jpg
    Birdview 005.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Birdview 009.jpg
    Birdview 009.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Birdview 011.jpg
    Birdview 011.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Bud was a Dud lol
I bet the perf birdviews were more expensive since they had to be shipped in larger boxes because they are a 2 pc design

I think you have a prize! Wish I could find one around here, other than the only one I've seen, as it has a really bad ding in it, as if a tractor trailer backed into the side of it? But, you have been blessed lonewolf.... Congratulations!!!

And thanks for the pictures. That forth picture gives me a really good idea how to build a worm gear assembly for my Unimesh dish. It came with an H to H mount and it quit on me, at the time (maybe 4-5 years ago) I didn't want to spend $200 for a replacement motor, so I got an Actuator to get going again. Later, much later, I bought a replacement motor (which came with the conversion kit, that I wouldn't have needed), and after I got it, I couldn't find the assembly parts to put the Unimesh H to H back together. I never throw anything away, so it should be around here somewhere, but I haven't come across it yet, and it's been a couple of years that I've been needing it. That forth picture gives me some inspiration. Thanks...!!

Hi gabshere and 14karat: I'd like to let you guys know of a little trip my wife and I took the past couple of days, from west Arkansas to Pontatoc,MS. and of some good looking BUD's we saw in you area. Turned off I-40 at Wheatley, going Hwy 78 east, just after you cross Hwy 70 on the right. Then in Marianna, as you leave going south on Hwy 1, about 1/2 mile on the left. Go on down to West Helena, looking on the left just before entering West Helena, there are 3 at one house or probably a small office. Over in Mississippi, taking Hwy 6 from Clarksdale, about 5 or 6 miles east there are two . All of them look real good from the hwy, if you are interested.

I was out & about today, looking left & right, lol. I found two dishes. Ithe first one is exactly like my 10 ft Pinnacle, but is called a Zenith. The mount & feedhorn cover are even branded Zenith. The lady that owns the house is not using it, said her husband (who passed away a few years ago) was avid about his C-Band. I asked about the receiver & she said she would have her son call me, but said it was in use 10 years ago. It would be awesome if it has a digitel receiver. I actually dont need another dish, but will take it, if the receiver is usable. The second one I am not interested, but wanted to get input on it.

EDIT: The lady just called & said "just come take it down, you can have it". I asked about the receiver & she says it is a Zenith Model #253000, I googled it & am not seeing anything. It was installed in 1987

No Doubt

Attachments

• DSC09138.JPG
    DSC09138.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC09140.JPG
    DSC09140.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
2 for 2 !

I could be wrong, but I thought Pinnacle was a top model of Winegard.
Didn't they also OEM it to Zenith ?
I'm sure you can get that answered here by all the BUD experts.
But, it does look like a beauty!

As for the solid white dish, that is interesting to me.
It's not a Birdview. Wrong style LNB support arms.
Might be a DH brand. They made spun aluminum solids.
Not really matching up with the feed support arms I've seen by them, either.
But, there could have been other makers in the 80's using that technology.
We've run across a few which didn't match known dishes, and nobody could identify.
Ooh, and maybe it's not aluminum.... I guess I made an assumption. :rolleyes:

The Zenith is a Pinnacle for all practical purposes. I am trying to get info about the receiver with LG now on the phone.
I could be wrong, but I thought Pinnacle was a top model of Winegard.
Did they OEM it to Zenith ?
I'm sure you can get that answered here by all the BUD experts.
But, it does look like a beauty!

As for the solid white dish, that is interesting to me.
It's not a Birdview. Wrong style LNB support arms.
Might be a DH brand. They made spun aluminum solids.
Not really matching up with the feed support arms I've seen by them, either.
But, there could have been other makers in the 80's using that technology.
We've run across a few which didn't match known dishes, and nobody could identify.
Ooh, and maybe it's not aluminum.... I guess I made an assumption. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link Voom, I went back over there & she gave me ALL the paperwork. The receiver is a ZS-3000, which is not digital. This entire system is Stamped Zenith including the actuator (ZS-9100) Dish (ZS-11-1C 10' Perforated Dish) Mounts (ZS-3100BC & ZS-2100BC) Antenna Positioner (ZS-3500). I dont know if I will get it, but there is the manual for a 2nd receiver that is a Uniden UST-5000. All of this was in a nice folder from the company that installed it in 1987. This dish is in TOP notch condition, this will go on my river property & serve me well. I seriously need to stop hunting, but it is too much fun!
Maybe you can find something here:
Zenith Receivers

Attachments

• DSC09148.JPG
    DSC09148.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC09150.JPG
    DSC09150.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC09149.JPG
    DSC09149.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC09142.JPG
    DSC09142.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
well it might be a beachcraft but all the beachcraft dishes i've seen are tri-pole mount feedhorns. beachcraft dishes are fiberglass dishes and i've never seen a fiberglass dish mounted above the roof.

I would guess with Anole on this and say its a spun aluminum probably DH brand

it would be worth checking at least to learn about the dish.

For Zenith Winegard was making the Dishes and Drake was making the receivers.

When Sears was in C-Band satellite sales i thing they were using the Zenith name

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts