AL EAST 2009

Billy Wagner is now a Red Sox. He was claimed off waivers today. I wish him the best of luck. So is this good or bad for the Sox? Ive seen that the Sox pitching is good but could be better.

From "the wires":

SAN DIEGO (AP) John Smoltz had a brilliant debut with the St. Louis Cardinals, striking out a season-high nine - including seven straight - and holding San Diego to three hits over five scoreless innings in a 5-2 victory Sunday.

Smoltz also had a bunt single and scored the first run for the NL Central-leading Cardinals...

Why can't we get guys like that?

Unbelievable.

After the Mets’ 6-2 loss to Philadelphia on Monday, Wagner said he was set to travel with the team to Florida. New York begins a three-game series against the Marlins on Tuesday night.

“Right now I’m going to Florida. Unless something changes in Boston, I’m going to be a Met,” he said. “They want me to set up. I’m too old to set up. I’d like to end my career as a closer.”

The 38-year-old Wagner is sixth on the career list with 385 saves. He said he’d like to reach 400 and then pass John Franco (424) for the most by a left-handed pitcher.

“I’d like to get at that level,” Wagner said. “There’s not many people in that 400 club.”
He's more interested in accumulating saves than trying to help a team get into the postseason and beyond. What a tool.

Wagner has conditions for trade- The New Haven Register - Serving Greater New Haven, CT

He's not even the Mets closer now, is he??

He's making the right move by refusing the deal unless the Red Sox agree to cut him after the season is over.

He is entitled to the remainder of his salary this year ($2.5 million?). Then, there is a team option of paying him $8 million for next year or buying him out for $1 million.

The way he sees it is, if he comes to the Red Sox now, he will be just another set-up man for the next five weeks (and possibly the playoffs, if the Red Sox have a better record than Texas), but because the Red Sox have the bucks to spend, they would pay him $8 million a year to be the back up closer if Papelbon is moved to starter and if Bard fails as closer. He is 38 or 39 and isn't willing to sit on someone's bench or to set up next year just to make $8 million. He wants to close for someone, and now he has pitched two, one inning stints striking out two each time, giving up no runs and hitting 96 MPH on the radar gun. He feels he is entitled to a better 2010 situation than he would otherwise have with the Red Sox

Looks like Wagner has had a change of heart:

1:34 p.m. update: A major league source told the Globe's Nick Cafardo that the Red Sox and Mets are on the verge of completing a trade that would send two mid-range minor leaguers to New York and land reliever Billy Wagner in Boston. A source told Tony Massarotti that the Red Sox will not pick up Wagner's $8 million option for 2010 but will retain the right to offer Wagner arbitration, meaning they would get two compensatory draft picks.

Wagner on the verge of coming to Boston - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

His situation would have been the same in NY, at least in Boston he'll have a chance to make the playoffs....

Looks like Wagner has had a change of heart:

Wagner on the verge of coming to Boston - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

His situation would have been the same in NY, at least in Boston he'll have a chance to make the playoffs....
Make is the key word. The SOX are done as a result of doing nothing early to improve themselves. Yanks get CC and the SOX go after SMoltz? Anyone that stupid deserves to lose the wildcard. The SOX are my team but they have really pissed me off this year.

Make is the key word. The SOX are done as a result of doing nothing early to improve themselves. Yanks get CC and the SOX go after SMoltz? Anyone that stupid deserves to lose the wildcard. The SOX are my team but they have really pissed me off this year.

You wouldn't be saying this had Halladay decided to leave Toronto.

Gotta make room for Wagner...

Struggling Boston Red Sox right-hander Brad Penny asked for and was granted his release Wednesday night. Newly-acquired reliever Billy Wagner will take his spot on the roster.

"I asked for my release and I got it," Penny said, according to the Boston Herald.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4425741"]Boston Red Sox release struggling right-hander Brad Penny - ESPN[/ame]

"You can't fire me, (pick one: Mr. Slate, Mr. Cunningham, Mr Spacely, Mr. Tate), because I QUIT!

Common 1950s-1960s sitcom retort from Fred Flintstone, Chester Riley, George Jetson, Darren Stevens and countless others.

My Two Cents on Alex Ovechkin

OK....the kool-aid has worn off....BENCH JaMarcus Russell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)