AL EAST 2009

"You can't fire me, (pick one: Mr. Slate, Mr. Cunningham, Mr Spacely, Mr. Tate), because I QUIT!

Common 1950s-1960s sitcom retort from Fred Flintstone, Chester Riley, George Jetson, Darren Stevens and countless others.

I have no idea what Chester Riley is from. I know the others.

I have no idea what Chester Riley is from. I know the others.

From: [ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045406/"]"The Life of Riley" (1953)@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIzMTQ2ODI4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDIyNjYxMQ@@._V1._SX77_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTIzMTQ2ODI4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDIyNjYxMQ@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX77@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame], starring William Bendix, who was best known for having played Babe Ruth in The Babe Ruth story.

A popular family sitcom that ran from 1953 to 1958, back when TV series has 39 episodes a year and the first rerun appeared during the last week before school vacation.

What a revoltin' development this is!

Chester Riley's "signature" refrain.

Red Sox Acquire Joey Gathright

By Mike Axisa [August 29 at 6:10pm CST]
The Red Sox have acquired speedy outfielder Joey Gathright from the Orioles, reports Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com. Baltimore with receive either a player to be named later or cash considerations in the deal. He will head to Triple-A Pawtucket initially.
Gathright got into 20 games with the Cubs earlier this year, but he has spent the majority of the season with Baltimore's Triple-A affiliate in Norfolk. He's a career .262-.327-.303 hitter in the big leagues.

It's nice to carry someone like that on the 40 man September roster. A week or two ago, JD Crybaby Drew asked out of a game when the Red Sox were shorthanded but the manager refused to take him out, because they would have had to play an infielder in the outfield.

I remember when the Red Sox had a guy named Jeff Stone under minor league contract, but when some outfielders got injured in September, they couldn't call up Stone, who had once stole over a hundred bases in a single minor league season, because no one in their organization had his phone number, and the day they realized that, they needed a pinch runner in a game they lost by one run but they didn't have one available.

Baseball is a STRANGE game...............example number 1,256,788:

Paul Byrd, making his first ML start since last September, defeated Roy Halladay and the Jays, 7-0.

Byrd gave up only three hits over six scoreless innings.

Also, Billy Wagner made his Sox debut and struck out the side in his only inning.

Sox go 7-3 on their homestand, and now head to St. Pete for a crucial three game series against the Rays.

With rosters expanding to a maximum of 40 players, the Red Sox called up OF's Joey Gathright and Brian Anderson, infielder Chris Woodward and pitcher Junichi Tazawa (who will start Saturday in Chicago).

Also, the Sox activated catcher George Kottaras off the DL.

Health updates on Lester and Wakefield
By: Rob Bradford

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Red Sox manager Terry Francona said that pitcher Tim Wakefield feels significant improvement in his lower back as a result of the cortisone shot he received on Monday. He also offered the following updates and thoughts about his pitchers, past and present:

--Jon Lester was removed from Tuesday's start after six innings for precautionary reasons due to a tweaked groin. The issue is not considered significant.

--Closer Jonathan Papelbon is unavailable on Wednesday after logging a six-out save on Tuesday.

--If Billy Wagner warms up in the bullpen and doesn't immediately enter into a game, the Red Sox are unlikely to use him that night, since they want to avoid having him warm up on multiple occasions. By contrast, Daniel Bard ended up throwing 34 pitches in the bullpen on Tuesday without entering the game.

--Francona seemed amused about the possibility that former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling might run for Senate. "I don't think he would want me as his campaign manager," said Francona.

I have a question about an interesting anomaly concerning the Red Sox bullpen.

The Sox have three pitchers that saved at least 30 games in the same season (2007), Takashi Saito (39 with the Dodgers), Papelbon (37 with the Sox) and Billy Wagner (34 with the Mets).

Does anyone know if this is unprecedented? It seems to me that it is, but I'm not sure.

Who are the only three recording artists to have had a number one single together and then hold the number one spot for three successive weeks with three solo recordings?

Who are the only three recording artists to have had a number one single together and then hold the number one spot for three successive weeks with three solo recordings?

What does this have to do with AL East baseball?

Congratulations to Derek Jeter for tying Lou Gehrig as the all-time Yankees hit leader at 2,721. Jeter will go for 2,722 over the weekend against the Orioles in the Bronx.

Think about that for a minute................ with all the great players that have put on pinstripes through the years, Derek Jeter has more hits than any of them!! :eek:

Couldn't have happened to a classier player either. I'll never forget in April 2005 when the Red Sox finally received their championship rings against the Yankees, Jeter was on the top step of the Yankees dugout applauding Red Sox players as they were introduced to get their rings (Joe Torre was right there also).

VERY classy indeed! :up

Congratulations to Derek Jeter for tying Lou Gehrig as the all-time Yankees hit leader at 2,721. Jeter will go for 2,722 over the weekend against the Orioles in the Bronx.

Think about that for a minute................ with all the great players that have put on pinstripes through the years, Derek Jeter has more hits than any of them!! :eek:

Couldn't have happened to a classier player either. I'll never forget in April 2005 when the Red Sox finally received their championship rings against the Yankees, Jeter was on the top step of the Yankees dugout applauding Red Sox players as they were introduced to get their rings (Joe Torre was right there also).

VERY classy indeed! :up

Indeed. Congratulations to Jeter. A historic acomplishment. :up

It's just mind-boggling to think of the company Jeter is keeping, the names he is tying and passing. It was wonderful last night to see the faces of Pettitte, Mariano, Posada...the guys Derek came up with and who watched most of the history happen.

The funny thing about Jeter is that it was never about the numbers...while his numbers are good, they don't tell the whole story about his contributions.

Sandra

Meanwhile, the Yankees are on a pace to win 105 games, which will be the sixth most in team history. Though to be fair, they fielded eight pre-expansion teams whose win totals project to more than 105 wins over 162 game seasons.

Examining the Yankees winning history, I am surprised to see that they fared better immediately after they got rid of Ruth than they had with him. During his fifteen year tenure as a Yankee, the Yankees won seven pennants and won four of the seven World Series, but then, in the nine years immediately following his departure, they played in just as many World Series and won six of those seven.

If he plays 8 more seasons and averages something like 140 hits a season he can get to 4000.:eek:

It's just mind-boggling to think of the company Jeter is keeping, the names he is tying and passing. It was wonderful last night to see the faces of Pettitte, Mariano, Posada...the guys Derek came up with and who watched most of the history happen.

The funny thing about Jeter is that it was never about the numbers...while his numbers are good, they don't tell the whole story about his contributions.

Sandra

On Mike and Mike the other day, they also pointed out that Jeter is on a quicker pace than Pete Rose was during the same time in his career to collect the most hits in MLB history!!!! I think they said Jeter needs 8 more healthy years to do so. WOW!

On Mike and Mike the other day, they also pointed out that Jeter is on a quicker pace than Pete Rose was during the same time in his career to collect the most hits in MLB history!!!! I think they said Jeter needs 8 more healthy years to do so. WOW!

I pretty much say that in my last post. ;):D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts