AL EAST 2009

Strange stats for Dice-K. He managed to need 110 pitches to get through just 5.1 innings, even though he walked only one. In other words, even if he completed the sixth inning, he would have been pulled.

The ump gave him strikes on the outside edge against lefthanded batters and gave him the low strike on a few pitches as well. Still, he looked sharp enough to be the fourth starter in the playoffs, ahead of Wakefield.

Naturally, I wish the Angels had won, but DAMN! that was one helluva good ballgame at the Big A last night! :up

Agreed, great game. Kept me up late!

Gardner was out on the steal attempt in the ninth. Aybar made the tag, but the umpire missed it.

Wow, Vlad really flails at some balls. My goodness.

Abreu with all the walks, including the all-important walk in the eighth. Where have I seen that before?

Yankees with some brutal fielding in the eighth.

Wow, what an arm on Torii Hunter. Can't believe he even came close to throwing Gardner out on A-Rod's sac fly.

Mariano could not believe he didn't get the strike three call on the first batter he faced. He smiled, which is an amazing show of emotion for Mariano.

Amazing throw by Posada on the strike out-throw out DP in the ninth. Hard to imagine he had shoulder surgery last year.

Well played, the Angels are a very good team.

Sandra

Red Sox-Yankees start a three game series in the Bronx tonight (for anyone that doesn't subscribe to EI or in the Boston/NY markets, the game can be seen on TBS), with Lester going against Chamberlain.

Entering play tonight the Yankees magic number to clinch the East is 5, and the Sox MN to clinch the wildcard is 3.

Red Sox-Yankees start a three game series in the Bronx tonight (for anyone that doesn't subscribe to EI or in the Boston/NY markets, the game can be seen on TBS), with Lester going against Chamberlain.

Entering play tonight the Yankees magic number to clinch the East is 5, and the Sox MN to clinch the wildcard is 3.
Bill,
Thanks for the heads up on this. :up
I'll be bouncing between the Tiger's and the Red Sox

Jimbo

The Red Sox have made a surprising last-minute pitching change, with Michael Bowden getting the start in place of Josh Beckett tonight against the Blue Jays.

The Globe's Tony Massarotti reports that the cause is mild back spasms.

Beckett, who is 16-6 with a 3.78 ERA, was scratched from what would have been his 32d start of the season.

Beckett out, Bowden in - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

Adam Lind of the Blue Jays has hit 3 HR's tonight at Fenway.

The Jays lead the Sox 8-2, top of the 8th.

Despite losing their fifth consecutive game, the Sox will clinch the wildcard tonight...................IF Texas loses to the Angels.

Red Sox put up a 5 spot in the eighth, and now trail 8-7.

Adam Lind about to come up going for his 4th homer of the game!

...losing their fifth consecutive game,...
Except the Red Sox just scored five in the bottom of the eighth. Stay tuned...

Meanwhile, Buckholtz and Lester have gotten bombed in their most recent starts, Becket and Wakefield are injured, and Dice K, with his 3-6 record and 6+ ERA, managed to walk his usual five batters in the best seven innings he has worked all year, while earning a loss for his effort. If the Red Sox still had Smoltz on the roster, he might have become the choice to pitch Game 1.

Well, with five games left for each team, the coin-flip probability of Texas winning all five and Boston losing all five is 1 in 1024. Then, if there is a playoff, it becomes 1 in 2048 that Totonto will win the wildcard spot.

Channeling Fort Myers :eek:................................................................

Tim Wakefield takes the ball for the Red Sox on Wednesday night against Roy Halladay and the Toronto Blue Jays. A day after clinching the wild card, the Red Sox have decided to shake up the lineup and rest a lot of their starters:

Red Sox
Gathright - CF
Reddick - LF
Kotchman - 1B
Ortiz - DH
Baldelli - RF
Kottaras - C
Gonzalez - SS
Lowrie - 3B
Woodward - 2B

Sandra,
no worries, you WILL be there. Your team is just too loaded to not be in contention.

I predict they win the East, but get no less than the wildcard.

My East predictions:

Yankees.........................97-65
Rays...............................94-68 (WC)
Red Sox.........................91-71
Blue Jays.......................75-87
Orioles..........................68-94

Oops.............:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts