AL EAST 2009

Green checked his swing far too late. even he knew he was out. Ump appealed to 1st base and he called it a ball. Fuentes then throws strike three looking, right down the center of the plate and the ump walks the guy and the tying run in. It was utter BS. It looked like the fix was in.

What happened?

Nick Green struck out twice in the same at bat, but was awarded first base anyway, walking in the tying run with two outs in the ninth. The first time, he tried to check his swing with two strikes and grimaced, because he knew he went too far. Game over. They check with the first base ump, and he gives the safe sign. Game back on.

The second time is a fastball at the knees at 3-2. How Green takes that pitch I don't know...I was watching the Red Sox broadcast, and their K-zone, or whatever they call it, had the pitch directly over the plate, well into the strike zone.

But the pitch is called a ball, and the game goes on. Fuentes, Napier, Scoscia and the rest of the Orange County boys can't believe it wasn't strike three. And the rest is history.

But as bad as the umpiring was, Fuentes caused his own problems by walking Ortiz on four pitches that weren't even close, after retiring the first two batters. And it went downhill from there.

Sandra

Are the "purists" still against instant replay in baseball?

I realize they can implement it on a questionable home run call now, but how about a circumstance like what happened last night? With the advent of technology, why not go to the replay (or K-Zone) to get the call right? Human error is a part of sports, but with technology it allows us to overcome that.

Are the "purists" still against instant replay in baseball?

I realize they can implement it on a questionable home run call now, but how about a circumstance like what happened last night? With the advent of technology, why not go to the replay (or K-Zone) to get the call right? Human error is a part of sports, but with technology it allows us to overcome that.

Replay on balls and strikes? Please no. :(

Sandra

.... only on game deciding instances. The K-Zone is instantaneous. It won't take long to review like in football. You could even have the ump wear an earpiece and just signal what the K-Zone determined.
What's a "game deciding instance"?? Who's to say a pitch in the 7th or 8th inning isn't an important pitch??

While I agree that the Angels got screwed over BIG TIME, what about the "effort" :rolleyes: Juan Rivera put in on the game winning hit?

He played the ball like he didn't want it to get by him.

Umm Juan, it was a tie game with the bases loaded, two outs in the bottom of the ninth. There's no need to worry about the ball getting by you. :eek:

IMO, that effort made Manny Ramirez look like Pete Rose! :cool:

While I agree that the Angels got screwed over BIG TIME, what about the "effort" :rolleyes: Juan Rivera put in on the game winning hit?

He played the ball like he didn't want it to get by him.

Umm Juan, it was a tie game with the bases loaded, two outs in the bottom of the ninth. There's no need to worry about the ball getting by you. :eek:

IMO, that effort made Manny Ramirez look like Pete Rose! :cool:

The Angels defensively have been a shadow of their former selves (with the exception of Aybar) for over a week now.

The Angels defensively have been a shadow of their former selves (with the exception of Aybar) for over a week now.

That reminds me, you also have to mention the eighth inning last night, when Kendrick and Aybar took turns muffing two double play balls, and the Red Sox went on to tie the game in that inning.

Yes, the Angels did cause a lot of their own problems last night...but they still got shafted.

Sandra

Last edited:
That reminds me, you also have to mention the eighth inning last night, when Kendrick and Aybar took turns muffing two double play balls, and the Red Sox went on to tie the game in that inning.

Yes, the Angels did cause a lot of their own problems last night...but hey still got shafted.

Sandra

It was troubling to see those two fumble about, especially considering those two were the idiots that completely blew it for us at Fenway last year in the playoffs. These are routine double play balls and those two are masters at pulling it off under MUCH more difficult circumstances than that. That Aybar didn't even TRY to throw to first either time tells me Boston is in his head. HE did, however do great offensively this time around.

Funetes shouldn't have pitched around Papi. Big mistake. But Mike Butcher should have been allowed to slam tha tumpire's head against the wall for his complete ineptitude. Every single broadcast, every single replay, every single person watching KNEW Green was out twice. Instead of running on the field like they just won the world series, the Red Sox should have shown some class and quietly walked off knowing they were handed a victory by the officials.

Every single broadcast, every single replay, every single person watching KNEW Green was out twice. Instead of running on the field like they just won the world series, the Red Sox should have shown some class and quietly walked off knowing they were handed a victory by the officials.
I might have agreed with that if that "walk" was the winning run. With Rivera's lack of effort on Gonzalez's fly ball allowing it to become a hit, I'd say they were entitled to celebrate. ;)

I might have agreed with that if that "walk" was the winning run. With Rivera's lack of effort on Gonzalez's fly ball allowing it to become a hit, I'd say they were entitled to celebrate. ;)

From today's L.A. Times:

By Mike DiGiovanna
September 18, 2009
Reporting from Boston - Looks can be deceiving. That's what Juan Rivera felt when he saw the television replays of Alex Gonzalez's game-winning single Wednesday night, a bloop down the line that many felt the Angels' left fielder should have dived for.

Rivera, after a long run, pulled up at the last second, and the ball dropped about 12 feet inside the line to give the Red Sox a 9-8 win over the Angels. After hearing criticism of his effort, he asked teammates if they thought he should have gotten to the ball.

"I was about 90 feet in from the line, and I was trying to get to the ball," Rivera said Thursday. "On TV, it looks very different than in person. Everything looks really close, but from where I was, the ball hit farther in front of me. If I dive, I wouldn't have gotten it."

Bench coach Ron Roenicke, who handles the outfielders, agreed.

"He couldn't have gotten to it," Roenicke said. "I saw the replay, and it may look" as if he could have caught it, "but he was not going to catch that ball. He knew he couldn't catch it, so he pulled up."

But, considering it was the last play of the game, shouldn't Rivera have dived just to leave no doubt?

"Some outfielders dive, some don't; we've had guys who for years never dive because when they do, they get hurt," Roenicke said. "Juan plays hard. I don't ever remember him not going hard for a ball. If he thought he could have caught it, he would have gone after it."

From today's L.A. Times:

By Mike DiGiovanna
September 18, 2009
Reporting from Boston - Looks can be deceiving. That's what Juan Rivera felt when he saw the television replays of Alex Gonzalez's game-winning single Wednesday night, a bloop down the line that many felt the Angels' left fielder should have dived for.

Rivera, after a long run, pulled up at the last second, and the ball dropped about 12 feet inside the line to give the Red Sox a 9-8 win over the Angels. After hearing criticism of his effort, he asked teammates if they thought he should have gotten to the ball.

"I was about 90 feet in from the line, and I was trying to get to the ball," Rivera said Thursday. "On TV, it looks very different than in person. Everything looks really close, but from where I was, the ball hit farther in front of me. If I dive, I wouldn't have gotten it."

Bench coach Ron Roenicke, who handles the outfielders, agreed.

"He couldn't have gotten to it," Roenicke said. "I saw the replay, and it may look" as if he could have caught it, "but he was not going to catch that ball. He knew he couldn't catch it, so he pulled up."

But, considering it was the last play of the game, shouldn't Rivera have dived just to leave no doubt?

"Some outfielders dive, some don't; we've had guys who for years never dive because when they do, they get hurt," Roenicke said. "Juan plays hard. I don't ever remember him not going hard for a ball. If he thought he could have caught it, he would have gone after it."

Actually the issue isn't whether Rivera dove or not, it's that Rivera is just plain slow. He was chugging along as fast as he could, but that's not very fast. After watching Rivera come up with the Yankees years ago, I'm amazed he's still an outfielder at all.

Sandra

Actually the issue isn't whether Rivera dove or not, it's that Rivera is just plain slow. He was chugging along as fast as he could, but that's not very fast. After watching Rivera come up with the Yankees years ago, I'm amazed he's still an outfielder at all.

Sandra
I agree, his lack of wheels probably made it seem like an overall "lack of effort".

Juan's a decent outfielder. I'll give it that he's a little pudgy and slow to run, but he's pretty good for a left fielder. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Angels signing him. He's a definite asset to the team.

Juan's a decent outfielder. I'll give it that he's a little pudgy and slow to run, but he's pretty good for a left fielder. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Angels signing him. He's a definite asset to the team.

Let's not forget that he broke his leg very badly a few years ago in winter Ball. I'm sure he still "feels it" now and again.

Can we petition MLB to let the Red Sox face the Orioles more times in 2010? :D

The Sox have now won 26 out of the last 30 games between the division "rivals", going back to 2008.

With the Rangers loss today, the Yankees can clinch a playoff berth if they beat Seattle this afternoon.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox magic number is down to 7 to clinch a playoff berth.