ALL VOOM TO GO MPEG4 AUGUST 15th

Ok, I was checking out all the DishHD channels last night and almost all of them looked much better than they did a couple weeks ago...before I went on vacation.
Where were you staying on your vacation? None of the hotels we were at had HD or digital sets, so it was like the 1980s again: static, next-channel interference, ghosting, etc. So, Dish could have cut the bitrates to fit 12 HD channels per xponder and I would have been impressed at the increase in PQ from the previous week.:rolleyes:

Like Scott said, I'm sure Echostar is tuning the MPEG-4 encoders for better quality as they get more experience with the settings.

It is 8/15/07 and I still get the Voom channels on my 811 and 921.
I can promise you, they won't stay there long. Dish is clearing out the VOOM MPEG-2 channels to make room for more HD next month. I expect they will be gone by September 1st.

Is there a chance that E* already changed the Voom channels over for those that have mpeg4boxes but left the mpeg2 ones up as a fail safe?

They are probably going to keep these channels MPEG-2 for a while longer, I would speculate until next month. The 15th cutoff was probably meant as an "anytime after" deadline where they could change without notice. New channels coming next month will probably be put on the former VOOM TPs, so now they give the installers time to finish upgrading everyone.

If they do not need the space right away probably better to keep customers happy that have not had the installer out yet.

They are probably going to keep these channels MPEG-2 for a while longer, I would speculate until next month. The 15th cutoff was probably meant as an "anytime after" deadline where they could change without notice. New channels coming next month will probably be put on the former VOOM TPs, so now they give the installers time to finish upgrading everyone.

If they do not need the space right away probably better to keep customers happy that have not had the installer out yet.

But it seems that they should light up the MPEG4 version for the people who have MPEG4 receivers. Give us the better PQ now. If they want to hold onto the MPEG2 versions for a while, as long as the space is there, no problem.

Of course, it's still early in the day, and most changes don't start to take effect for a few more hours yet.

I'm really surprised they haven't moved Voom to mpeg4 yet. Maybe they want to let the mpeg2 ride out the day and the changes will happen tonight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)