Anik F1R and Anik G1 signal survey Post your results.

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
Shaw Direct turned on the Anik G1 satellite for customer use on May 29, 2013.
Given the lack of information on signal strength past the northern third of the U.S. Lower 48, it would be a helpful exercise for those equipped to do so to take some readings.

Please limit reports to those using the following equipment:
Shaw Direct DSR-600, DSR-605 or DVR-630 receivers.
Shaw Direct 75E elliptical antenna with Xtended Quad Ku LNBF or any larger solid offset with a special extended Ku LNBF, pointing at the 107.3 West spacecraft, and receiving Anik F1R and Anik G1.

Other receiver models are not helpful because they cannot receive MPEG-4 formatted signals such as those found on Anik G1.

We would like to limit stock Shaw Direct antennas reports to just the 75E, because the 60E has a very limited range southward from Canada.

No need for readings from Anik F2 (on those elliptical systems that get Anik F1R, G1 and F2) because we are doing a direct comparison of levels between Anik G1 and Anik F1R, at the same point in the sky.

Please confirm whether you are using ADVANCED or CLASSIC channel numbering scheme.
Knowledge Network will work on Channel 009 for ADVANCED systems and 354 on CLASSIC systems.
(No subscription needed...to confirm that you have the correct satellite position, from Anik F1R).

It would be preferable that you have a receiver that was previously authorized and working prior to May 29, and has had a chance to download new channels overnight, to enable Anik G1.

If you found Knowledge Network on Ch 9, check these ADVANCED channel numbers from Anik G1:
098 CBET Windsor 200 CICC-CTV Yorkton Call up OPTIONS 4-7 and list the reading in dB.
(may be a 30-45 second delay for meter to register).

If you are viewing Knowledge Network on Ch 354, you are using CLASSIC channel numbering scheme.
Please check the above two channels in these positions:
644 CBET Windsor 640 CICC-CTV Yorkton

This small amount of data will enable us to find how far south Anik G1 works, and more detailed surveys with larger antennas will be even more precise.

Here's my report...please format yours in a similar manner. Thank you!

PATRIOT 85E antenna with standalone Xtended Ku LNBF, parked on 107.3 West
Located in Plain, Wisconsin
DSR-600 Receiver with ADVANCED Channel numbers
Ch 009 Knowledge Network +8.7 dB ANIK F1R
Ch 098 CBET-CBC Windsor +7.1 dB ANIK G1
Ch 200 CICC-CTV Yorkton +7.1 dB ANIK G1

So it's established that a 75E antenna will not work for G1 in the Bay Area. But a larger offset might.
There is hope for northern California, Lake Tahoe, Reno and Salt Lake City.
Anyone with a 1.2, 1.5 or 1.8 meter antenna so equipped, please take some readings. (You will need a 600 series receiver with the dish parked on 107.3 West, and one of our special 107-only Extended Ku LNBFs).

If you have a spectrum analyzer and a Universal Ku LNBF, try to estimate carrier to noise C/N in dB for
Anik G1. If you are getting at least +5.0 dB, there's a good chance you can make this work, at least in good weather conditions. But a measurement like this would be very helpful to encourage others, and those getting enough signal with such a test can then get one of the special Ku LNBFs to do a real test with a Shaw receiver.

Just trying to make this simple and minimal expense for serious signal watchers. But someone has to make the first move. Results on my 85E antenna in SW Wisconsin showed the Anik G1 signals between 1.5 and 2.0 dB lower than Anik F1R in same location, which is actually slightly better than a map will tell you.
What is needed is a large enough dish so that Anik G1 comes up to a usable level, and F1R falls in place; much stronger than G1, the further south that you go.

Mike

North of Greensboro, NC (Reidsville)
DSR 630 Advanced lineup
Ch 9 = 9.7
Ch 200 = 0
Ch 98 = O
Ch 537 = -3.2 dB (I have seen it get as high as-0.9)

Hi miguel did you try a channel on xpdr 16 Im curious how strong it is in NC.

Yes. I think that 537 is on the same transponder as 540. The signal is the same on 540. Now it is -1.2. I have a felling that I might have waisted my money on the 1.2 meter dish and the LNBs. I guess I'll know in 2 weeks.

Odds are the footprint will not change, if it does it would be very minimal unfortunately.

Western North Carolina is not completely out of the Anik G1 footprint, but it is not going to work on a stock 75E antenna with matching XKu Quad LNBF. However, there is a magic number that is probably somewhere between 6 and 8 feet in diameter (solid offset dish) that probably will work in your location, with a separate custom Extended Ku LNBF for 107.
You're just going to have to wait for someone closer to your location report moderate success on a non-Shaw sourced offset antenna and custom extended Ku LNBF.

Negative dB numbers while observing Options 4-7 command and its results are usually because you have either completely lost the signal, or never had it in the first place. The majority of those in this situation are going to have to consider a larger offset dish appropriately sized for Anik G1, or simply be happy with the channels on Anik F1R and F2 that will still be there. Getting these new HD signals comes at a cost if you are outside the coverage area. You have gotten by without them in the past, and if the hardware cost is too much...will continue to get by without the new channels.

Mike

Your point is well taken. I only have the 60cm dish so I knew that I didn't have a prayer of receiving anything. BTW the reason that I have the 60 is that that is what they sent to me in Toronto last year when I cancelled Bell and went with shaw. It has worked well until now, I suppose. Should have insisted on the 75cm.

I will see how MiguelAqui does with his 1.2cm. It is not worth the effort to go with anything much larger. I really got this system for the French programming anyway. If that starts becoming a problem like it became with Bell I shall cancel Shaw and get programming via the Internet.

Do you know why Shaw chose to have the smaller footprint?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not the results that I hoped for.

Receiver: DSR-630
Dish Type: 75e
Channel 009 ... 6.8 dB
Channel 098 ... -3.9 dB
Channel 200 ... -4.0 dB
Channel 537/540 ... never got dB reading or signal.

Are you certain that your system is tuned as well as possible on 107? Skew setting should be around 114.
+6.8 dB on Knowledge Network is down from what it should be, and I would expect that you should be able to achieve another 1 to 2 dB with optimum tuning. Then you might have some Anik G1 numbers that are low positive. A steady +2.0 or higher is needed for continuous lock.

May still need to consider a 1.0 or 1.2 meter offset for Anik G1, but a second look at your alignment is in order.

My numbers...just west of Madison-WI 009 = +8.7 098 and 200 = +7.1 G1 ranges between 1.5 to 2.0 dB weaker
(using 85 cm dish) than F1R on same antenna.

Peoria-Illinois 009 = +7.9 098 and 200 = +4.0 G1 ranges about 4 dB weaker
(using 75E antenna) than F1R on same antenna

St Louis-Missouri I would expect 009 to be at least +7.5, so unless the signal drops more than 3 dB on Anik G1
between Peoria and St Louis, you should have right at threshold on your dish if you can get another
dB out of it. Therefore if you were to install a 1.2 meter, it might be passable most of the time.
Further tests with 1 meter and larger antennas parked on 107 in your area will hopefully bear this
out. We don't know how fast the signal drops, but other readings in downstate Illiinois and
Eastern Iowa/northeastern Missouri could indicate some trends.

There is some cloud cover today. I'll check it again on a clear day, and if it does not increase to the level of your post - I'll confirm the settings on the install.

Thanks for your feedback.

EDIT: I assume that I'd be looking for 1.2m offset dish with a skew setting. Would the xKu LNB mount on the standard arm? Or would I need to get creative to mount it?

I have a 10' perf BUD, but I assume that the perf dish would have too much signal loss on Ku band.

Last edited:
The Shaw provided XKu LNBF that you have is matched to your existing 75E antenna.
You would need to acquire (we have them) separate 2 output Ku band LNBFs.
One combines G1 and F1R with the same local oscillator frequency that matches that on your Shaw device.
The second separate Ku-band LNBF is on a separate dish, or squeezed onto a 1.2 meter or larger offset dish
that already has the new G1/F1R LNBF at center focus.
Skew is done by rotating the LNBF in its neck clamp collar, which is a standard item (40 mm or 1.5 inch OD) for linear Ku-band reception.

If you could come up with an adapter for Ku LNBFs on your 10--foot PERF that is well centered and accomodates a 40 mm neck, it could work. I say this because perfs are more accurate than mesh, and if you already have one available, it will save you money.

Hi, I am in Baltimore, MD. Right now I have to take care of a couple of tree branches obstructing the dish, but I get about 90-95 on F1R and F2....no more than 45 on 540 on G1...and some channels I get 0.....do you think I will get better signal after I cut the branches or will I need a larger dish?

Julub we get more than 95 on some xpdrs on F1/F2 in Calif. so maybe if you cut the branches you would get more and maybe even some channels on G1. Did you get more signal before the tree grew?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)