any known free equipment upgrades available for long time customer?

asmcbride

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
WV/VA
haven't been on here if forever it seems like...just wanted to drop in and see if there are any free equipment upgrades going on that I should be aware of. I've had my 622 and 211 for 4 or 5 years now and it would be nice to get upraded to a nicer/newer set of hardware with a more modern user interface or additional settings/options. I'm not a big TV watcher so I'm not really interested in paying much $ to upgrade, but if there are any promotions or deals going on I'd like to know about them...thanks.

You will have to talk to DISH to find out what you qualify for. Currently the Hopper and Joey would be the new equipment you could upgrade to. The cost will probably be increased monthly fees I would guess at about $10/mo. or $120/yr. total increase.

haven't been on here if forever it seems like...just wanted to drop in and see if there are any free equipment upgrades going on that I should be aware of. I've had my 622 and 211 for 4 or 5 years now and it would be nice to get upraded to a nicer/newer set of hardware with a more modern user interface or additional settings/options. I'm not a big TV watcher so I'm not really interested in paying much $ to upgrade, but if there are any promotions or deals going on I'd like to know about them...thanks.

There are really only two upgrade options for you. You are going to be recommended to upgrade to the Hopper system but be aware that your monthly bill is going to increase due to equipment fees. The other option is to upgrade that 622 to a 722k but that's not significant improvement. It would keep your monthly fees the same though.

There are really only two upgrade options for you. You are going to be recommended to upgrade to the Hopper system but be aware that your monthly bill is going to increase due to equipment fees. The other option is to upgrade that 622 to a 722k but that's not significant improvement. It would keep your monthly fees the same though.

Worth noting, not sure what you can do as a retailer, but CS agents at Dish, when upgrading a customer's system, cannot choose what receiver of the 622/722/722k series the customer gets. I know some folks claim I have no clue whatsoever about this, maybe a retailer has been able to do so, but a Dish phone rep simply cannot do so. I had to deal with a recent escalated issue where a customer had to have their old 301 replaced, and it was replaced with a shiny new 211Z that does not have a coax output or interactive features. Some agent had tried to set up yet ANOTHER upgrade for the customer (with the hope they'd get a 211k), and the problem is this...if the tech only has 211Z available as a HD solo, running another truck for the same thing is going to result in yet another disappointment for the customer.

Point is, while the odds are very, very high a customer would indeed get a 722k (or perhaps a 722) if they did a Change Receiver on the 622, it's not guaranteed. If the 622 was bad, and getting RA'd, the odds are high they'd get yet another 622 (Dish does try to do same-same on RA receivers). But the upgrade...well, most likely a 722/722K, but I don't know that I'd go into a 24 month agreement for one.

Somebody with a 622/211 is going to see a $12 increase if they go to 1 Hopper/2 Joey. DVR fee changes from $7 to $12 (+$5) and they will have two $7/mo Joey fees as opposed to the single HD solo fee they seem now. (+$7).

Worth noting, not sure what you can do as a retailer, but CS agents at Dish, when upgrading a customer's system, cannot choose what receiver of the 622/722/722k series the customer gets. I know some folks claim I have no clue whatsoever about this, maybe a retailer has been able to do so, but a Dish phone rep simply cannot do so. I had to deal with a recent escalated issue where a customer had to have their old 301 replaced, and it was replaced with a shiny new 211Z that does not have a coax output or interactive features. Some agent had tried to set up yet ANOTHER upgrade for the customer (with the hope they'd get a 211k), and the problem is this...if the tech only has 211Z available as a HD solo, running another truck for the same thing is going to result in yet another disappointment for the customer.

Point is, while the odds are very, very high a customer would indeed get a 722k (or perhaps a 722) if they did a Change Receiver on the 622, it's not guaranteed. If the 622 was bad, and getting RA'd, the odds are high they'd get yet another 622 (Dish does try to do same-same on RA receivers). But the upgrade...well, most likely a 722/722K, but I don't know that I'd go into a 24 month agreement for one.

Somebody with a 622/211 is going to see a $12 increase if they go to 1 Hopper/2 Joey. DVR fee changes from $7 to $12 (+$5) and they will have two $7/mo Joey fees as opposed to the single HD solo fee they seem now. (+$7).

If you call Dish then you have no idea what receiver model you're going to get. You're dealing with a much larger company and you left with whatever receiver that installer has in his truck. When you go to a retailer you get whatever the retailer has in their stock. Most retailers only stock the most current models, so if a customer wants a dual tuner HD DVR then they will get a 722k. If a customer just wants a single HD receiver then they are going to get a 211z since Dish no longer makes the 211 and 211k. Even if a customer came in and requested a 211k from me I wouldn't be able to install one because I can't even buy them from my distributor.

This is one of the reasons why I always recommend going to a local retailer if there is one. You usually get much better service and you can physically talk to a person.

Reactions: ChadT41
We can still get 211k's and 222k's. Hopefully our distributor has a lot left. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)