Any portable HD format players coming?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
The biggest thing currently holding me back from jumping in for either camp is the lack of a portable player. I do not want to buy multiple copies of the same movie (standard DVD and HD format) so that the kids can have a copy to watch on the portable player in the car. I realize that there are ways to make copies, and our current portable DVD player has an SD card slot and plays Divx files. An awful lot of hoops to jump through to get content on a portable player. I also do not have an HD format player on my current computer to make the conversion. Is someone going to address the portable market to give us a total replacement solution for the standard DVD?

Eventually, yes. Will you want to pay for it? Maybe not, at least not at first...

Here's the rub: who cares about HD on a 7" screen? Problem is, like you said, no one wants to buy copies of two movies. This is what HD-DVD Combo discs are supposed to address, but no one likes them because they are too expensive.

It's not an easy question to answer. When DVD's took over for VHS, it wasn't that big of a deal because there weren't that many portable VHS players out there outside of conversion vans. Now they (DVD players) are in every other minivan or SUV sold.

I've heard that sony is going to put a psp version on their blu rays, but not sure how its gonna work. I think you can just put the movie in your ps3 and then copy it to your psp. Seems like a really good idea, but I think it would really kill the UMD movies, but its not like they aren't already dead. Don't ask me for a link, its just something I remember reading about.

They were going to do that with normal DVD releases at some point too, it either never really got off the ground, or the combo SKUs were discontinued as soon as they premiered. I'm amazed they're still making them, must be doing more business than any of us would suspect since they're still demanding $15-20 per new UMD.

I wonder how long the batteries will last on the portable HD players lol.
For example the IPhone :).

I wonder how long the batteries will last on the portable HD players lol.
For example the IPhone :).

Probably no worse than portable DVD's. There have been some shown(may have only been mockups as I didn't see any pictures of them operating). But I don't expect to see them for awhile, and like the first portable DVD's expect them to be very expensive. Possibly the manufactures are waiting for a clearer decision, a victory for one or the other a decision that both will stay around for some time.

The biggest thing currently holding me back from jumping in for either camp is the lack of a portable player. I do not want to buy multiple copies of the same movie (standard DVD and HD format) so that the kids can have a copy to watch on the portable player in the car. I realize that there are ways to make copies, and our current portable DVD player has an SD card slot and plays Divx files. An awful lot of hoops to jump through to get content on a portable player. I also do not have an HD format player on my current computer to make the conversion. Is someone going to address the portable market to give us a total replacement solution for the standard DVD?

If you really need a portable HDM player, get a Toshiba laptop.

Reportedly (quoting other forums)
Alpine is planning a HD DVD player for Vehicles
Sony has a Blu-Ray planned for this Spring

*cover your ears Sony Fanbois*

The Microsoft Zune 2 will output to any TV in 720 resolution. (it down converts it for its screen)

4 hours of play time with it.

The Microsoft Zune 2 will output to any TV in 720 resolution. (it down converts it for its screen)

Sony PSP gets TiVo and its 10x better than the zune.
When you put 720p in a 3-4 inch monitor I dubt it will look any different than a regular SD image, sorry to break it to you but at that size anything would look good and you wouldn't be able to see any differences.
You fail.

Sony PSP gets TiVo and its 10x better than the zune.
When you put 720p in a 3-4 inch monitor I dubt it will look any different than a regular SD image, sorry to break it to you but at that size anything would look good and you wouldn't be able to see any differences.
You fail.

I think you skipped some words maybe?

While not a 'portable HD player', it is more relevant than your TiVo/PSP comment.

I think you skipped some words maybe?

While not a 'portable HD player', it is more relevant than your TiVo/PSP comment.

Thank you Elstevo, I figured the Fanboi would get up in arms over it.

They don't know how to read.

That is one thing that is annoying about the ipod, it does less than DVD. It is good on the small screen, but when you output to a TV it is noticable.

That is one thing that is annoying about the ipod, it does less than DVD. It is good on the small screen, but when you output to a TV it is noticable.

Yeah My Zune (1) 30 is like that. If I had the money I would upgrade to a Zune (2) 80.

320x240 just does not look good on a big screen *he he*

And this has what to do with a thread about portable DISC players?

Sorry, but I don't think a player that will do 4 hours (four hours!?) of HD video, and that only if it has zero music on it, which is what most people will use it for, is going to make much difference. I'm definitely not hooking it up to my TV at home, and if I watch it on the built-in screen or output it to the TV in the van, why in the world do I care that it does 720?

And this has what to do with a thread about portable DISC players?

Sorry, but I don't think a player that will do 4 hours (four hours!?) of HD video, and that only if it has zero music on it, which is what most people will use it for, is going to make much difference. I'm definitely not hooking it up to my TV at home, and if I watch it on the built-in screen or output it to the TV in the van, why in the world do I care that it does 720?

4 hours of battery life bro. not 4 hours of music.

goofy

Let me clarify

80 Gigs of storage , you figure 4-6 gigs per HD movie (using Mpeg 4) so thats about 20 movies
4 hours of video playing on the screen itself (or out putting to a screen)
20 hours of music playing

Man its easy to ruffle Sony fanbois feathers around here. especially since they are not proficient in basic math.

actually from what i have read the video output is 720x576. So it doesnt output at 720 the way the term is normally used. Translation: this has nothing to do with the original question of if there was going to be a portable HD format player. I could be wrong, do you have a link to back it up?

4 hours of battery life bro. not 4 hours of music.

goofy

Let me clarify

80 Gigs of storage , you figure 4-6 gigs per HD movie (using Mpeg 4) so thats about 20 movies
4 hours of video playing on the screen itself (or out putting to a screen)
20 hours of music playing

Man its easy to ruffle Sony fanbois feathers around here. especially since they are not proficient in basic math.
And if you would have clarified to begin with he wouldnt have made that mistake. I thought the same thing, and it has nothing to do with math. It has to do with a lack of general knowledge about the Zune

actually from what i have read the video output is 720x576. So it doesnt output at 720 the way the term is normally used. I could be wrong, do you have a link to back it up?

No your right. In fact thats why I left it open. Didn't say 720p resolution (parsing of words to get a response)

But couple things to consider

It is higher than 480p resolution equaling in the strictest sense of the definition High definition.

Most PS3 and Xbox 360 games are 720x576 resolution with the TV and machine doing the work to upscale it to be 720p or 1080p. (this is what makes halo 3 look jaggy on a 1080p screen)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)