Any portable HD format players coming?

Again that is subjective

above 480p is HD to me. :)
Nothing subjective about it. I will agree that it will look good, but by definition, that particular resolution doesnt meet the minimum requirements for being HD. Just calling it HD doesnt count;)

Again that is subjective

above 480p is HD to me. :)

Link

According to this the highest SD is 704 x 480. Which puts it directly in the HD range.

Check the link

Highest SD is 704x 480

Again this is a Grey area that can be argued till everyone is blue in the face. Thus making it subjective.

Check the link

Highest SD is 704x 480

Again this is a Grey area that can be argued till everyone is blue in the face. Thus making it subjective.
Again, i appreciate the link. However in this case it proves you wrong. It and many other sites state that HD begins at 1280x720 according to the ATSC standard

Again, i appreciate the link. However in this case it proves you wrong. It and many other sites state that HD begins at 1280x720 according to the ATSC standard

You also have to look at the aspect ratio. which is wide 16:9.

As I said it doesn't prove me wrong it proves it's in a gray area.

Can you not concede that much? :D
from the link

Aspect ratio - Standard television has a 4:3 aspect ratio -- it is four units wide by three units high. HDTV has a 16:9 aspect ratio, more like a movie screen.

It's like saying you have a 1080i lcd. By defintion that is a TV that is

on a "1080i" HDTV set, they're talking about one that has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and can display 60 frames per second, interlaced.

when a max resolution on a 1080i LCD is 1330x1068? Ill get you a link for it.

Totally and completely subjective

Edited, back on topic, I bet this badboys would cost at least 400$ on the market when they come out. My main concern is the battery and how often you have to re-charge them.
msmith198025 you called me a turkey! :(..

from the link

Aspect ratio - Standard television has a 4:3 aspect ratio -- it is four units wide by three units high. HDTV has a 16:9 aspect ratio, more like a movie screen.
Being Widescreen does not make something HD. In the past Fox shot widescreen SD content. Many widescreen DVD's are available. So that is a flawed argument

Edited, back on topic, I bet this badboys would cost at least 400$ on the market when they come out. My main concern is the battery and how often you have to re-charge them.
msmith198025 you called me a turkey! :(..
oops!!!!!!!!!!!!! i sure did

from the link

It's like saying you have a 1080i lcd. By defintion that is a TV that is

on a "1080i" HDTV set, they're talking about one that has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and can display 60 frames per second, interlaced.

when a max resolution on a 1080i LCD is 1330x1068? Ill get you a link for it.

Totally and completely subjective

Here we go from Link

If you are displaying a 720p signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280 x 720, no scaling will occur.

If you are displaying a 720p signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080, the image will be upscaled from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080.

If you are displaying a 1080i signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280 x 720, the signal will be de-interlaced, then downscaled from 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 720.

If you are displaying a 1080i signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080, the signal will be de-interlaced and no scaling will occur.

Any signal displayed on an LCD with a native resolution of 1366 x 768 will be scaled, as 1366 x 768 is not a standard HD signal format.

1080i will be de-interlaced and downscaled, 720p will be upscaled.

Here we go from Link

If you are displaying a 720p signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280 x 720, no scaling will occur.

If you are displaying a 720p signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080, the image will be upscaled from 1280 x 720 to 1920 x 1080.

If you are displaying a 1080i signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1280 x 720, the signal will be de-interlaced, then downscaled from 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 720.

If you are displaying a 1080i signal on an LCD with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080, the signal will be de-interlaced and no scaling will occur.

Any signal displayed on an LCD with a native resolution of 1366 x 768 will be scaled, as 1366 x 768 is not a standard HD signal format.

1080i will be de-interlaced and downscaled, 720p will be upscaled.
ill grant you that the tv in question doesnt have the standard ATSC fixed resolution, however it does have the pixel count to resolve most of it.
The Zune wont output the horizontal or vertical rez to meet these minimums.

ill grant you that the tv in question doesnt have the standard ATSC fixed resolution, however it does have the pixel count to resolve most of it.
The Zune wont output the horizontal or vertical rez to meet these minimums.

No but the TV upscales that resolution to meet the standard was my point. It doesn't degrade it to 480p.

making it a HD signal correct?

you can think of it as de-interlaced 1440x1132 signal.

No but the TV upscales that resolution to meet the standard was my point. It doesn't degrade it to 480p.

making it a HD signal correct?

you can think of it as de-interlaced 1440x1132 signal.

A fixed pixel display will upscale any signal to fit the screen, that does not make every signal sent into it HD. The signal is what it is, the panel only changes what is displayed. It isnt adding extra resolution, its filling in the extra pixels with a "best guess" based on what is around them

A fixed pixel display will upscale any signal to fit the screen, that does not make every signal sent into it HD. The signal is what it is, the panel only changes what is displayed. It isnt adding extra resolution, its filling in the extra pixels with a "best guess" based on what is around them

I'll concede to make you happy, have bigger fish to fry anyway :)

Boy, this thread got WAY off topic while I was gone...

And yes, the original topic of a portable "HD Format" player - keeping in mind this is the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray War Zone, which implies that all threads here are about one or the other or both - was talking about disc players, not portable media players of other types, be they Zunes, iPods or PSP's (which I don't own and couldn't care less about, by the way).

I apologize for my misinterpretation of your 4 hour playback comment - although I know now that you purposely tried to leave out details just to get a response, so I'm not really sure why I'm apologizing - but I still don't care about whether any Zune, PSP, or iPod can output video in HD because I'd never use them that way. It wouldn't help me at all if I'm trying to play the HD-DVD copy of Shrek the Third I just got in my minivan, now would it?

For the record, I own products from Microsoft, Apple, Sony, and Nintendo and like all of them, and use both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, so I would not consider myself a fanboy. I may prefer one over the other but I'm not on a crusade.

BTW, 1280x720 is the minimum accepted standard for HD, regardless of what "gray area" you think there is.

Boy, this thread got WAY off topic while I was gone...

And yes, the original topic of a portable "HD Format" player - keeping in mind this is the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray War Zone, which implies that all threads here are about one or the other or both - was talking about disc players, not portable media players of other types, be they Zunes, iPods or PSP's (which I don't own and couldn't care less about, by the way).

I apologize for my misinterpretation of your 4 hour playback comment - although I know now that you purposely tried to leave out details just to get a response, so I'm not really sure why I'm apologizing - but I still don't care about whether any Zune, PSP, or iPod can output video in HD because I'd never use them that way. It wouldn't help me at all if I'm trying to play the HD-DVD copy of Shrek the Third I just got in my minivan, now would it?

For the record, I own products from Microsoft, Apple, Sony, and Nintendo and like all of them, and use both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, so I would not consider myself a fanboy. I may prefer one over the other but I'm not on a crusade.

BTW, 1280x720 is the minimum accepted standard for HD, regardless of what "gray area" you think there is.

Fair enough, I apologize then for making a generalization.

And In fairness I could have been more specific.

I will hold to my belief though, based on the fact that advertised HD gaming is no where near HD signal, as I have proven before.

And using that same thesis, I will assert again that it is a gray area until a time wherein everything uses 1280x720 as a minimum including HD games, as per the standard specifications.

I will hold to my belief though, based on the fact that advertised HD gaming is no where near HD signal, as I have proven before.

And using that same thesis, I will assert again that it is a gray area until a time wherein everything uses 1280x720 as a minimum including HD games, as per the standard specifications.
Just because PS3 and 360 games may not be rendered in HD doesnt change HD specifications.

So i dont see how you can base your belief that 720x568 is HD on that

Just because PS3 and 360 games may not be rendered in HD doesnt change HD specifications.

So i dont see how you can base your belief that 720x568 is HD on that

Then those HD games are not HD either...

and we can sue them for lots of monies :) (false advertising)

Then those HD games are not HD either...

and we can sue them for lots of moneys :) (false advertising)
well that is (according to your link) true. So how does that make what the Zune outputs an HD grey area?
Just trying to follow the line of reasoning

well that is (according to your link) true. So how does that make what the Zune outputs an HD grey area?
Just trying to follow the line of reasoning

Well that means that if the TV accepts it as a 720 signal. which it does (the same as some of these games) Makes it a HD signal.

I know the rules that the HD commission set. I have no problem with this. I am just saying that what everyone else is advertising as HD fits well within the range of what the Zune 2 is capable of.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)