Anyone have an OLED?

The price drop on the 2016 models just happened. I talked to the people over at Cleveland Plasma and I can get the 65" "B" model (the one without the speaker attached) for $2,600 delivered. The 65" "E" model is $3,500 delivered. Obviously no tax on either. I stopped at Best Buy at lunch to see how they looked in person. I honestly think I prefer the "B" model without the speaker. I'm obviously going to have it hooked up to a home theater setup anyway.

Really wish that it was 70" instead of 65" (coming from a 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma), but I may just pull the trigger...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hmmm. I'll wait for further drops, but more importantly, for the UHD dust to settle.

But thanks for the update. There is hope.

And maybe one day, OLED really will be the cheaper option.

Very good pricing, and the E6 is comparable to the 9500 I have (has 3D). That pricing is about $700 below where my 9500 was last year at this time.

My plan was to upgrade next year at this time, and if a 65 or 70" is in the $3500 range, I will surely pull the trigger. The E6 is an upgrade from the 9500 in certain areas like HDR calibration, but not worth it for me to jump from a 9500 (Per Chad B).

Yeah, 3D is something that I literally could not care less about. Two of the TVs that I have are 3D capable but I haven't used it since day one when I just turned it on to see if it worked. The B6 is probably the right model for me. As I said, I just wish it was a 70". Are there any rumors about a 70" model being released in the 2017 lineup? The 77" model is "available", but it outrageous in price.

Well, I opted to grab a 2016 65" E6. Value Electronics just put them on sale and I was able to get the display, SDR and HDR calibration and panel check for uniformity issues before shipping, for a killer deal.

I was torn on waiting for the '17 OLED's, but my last 3 purchases have been end of life cycle higher end models, and it was worked out well vs buying in early on with a new model. Ill start a thread with some observations when I get it in a couple of weeks.

The big upgrades over my 2015 model are better near black performance, HDR calibration (I dont even use HDR on my 2015) and better uniformity. Also gained 300 or so nits of brightness over 2015 and went from 86% DCI to 96%.

Well, I opted to grab a 2016 65" E6. Value Electronics just put them on sale and I was able to get the display, SDR and HDR calibration and panel check for uniformity issues before shipping, for a killer deal.

I was torn on waiting for the '17 OLED's, but my last 3 purchases have been end of life cycle higher end models, and it was worked out well vs buying in early on with a new model. Ill start a thread with some observations when I get it in a couple of weeks.

The big upgrades over my 2015 model are better near black performance, HDR calibration (I dont even use HDR on my 2015) and better uniformity. Also gained 300 or so nits of brightness over 2015 and went from 86% DCI to 96%.

I thought you would go with the Sony OLED.
I know this years LG OLED got some really good press but I haven't seen any comparison with this years Sony OLED. I would have thought the Sony would be really good for motion compared to the LG?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I think the Sony will have better motion, but I'm not unhappy with my 9500. I dislike I can't use blur reduction with 60 hz, but it looks great with 24hz.

I know several people with 2016 models and many of my gripes with the 2015 are fixed, Chad B verified a few too. So, I'm gonna save the cash. I've been burnt several times buying on launch, where as I have not been burnt buying near the end.

I have two concerns with the Sony, one is price, two is the pic frame lean it has. Not happy with that design. I also figure this is one of the last Oled models to have 3D on board, and part of the QC check is that the 3D filter is applied properly. So, Ill have a good 3D set too.

Reactions: tigerfan33
I was going to get an LG oled and the demo I saw in the store was the best 3D I've ever seen.

I've decided instead to get a 4K projector in our theatre and probably just an LG led for the main room.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I was going to get an LG oled and the demo I saw in the store was the best 3D I've ever seen.

I've decided instead to get a 4K projector in our theatre and probably just an LG led for the main room.

Get the Sony VPL VW665ES or the new 675ES. The image quality is superb and the 3D is perfect. These have a "reality creation" feature that will upscale 3D to 4K 8 bit detail. It doesn't get any better than that as there is zero ghosting, even white over black background.

You can find the 665ES for under $10K now. We just love ours!

Reactions: madmadworld
Actually the company doing our install quoted a complete 11.2 ATMOS theater with a 665 for around $22K last May, the 665 was $12K of that. The price of the 665 may have come down since that was quoted. Still leaning that way, but was surprised the Epson 6040 looked as good as it does. Of course Optoma just announced a native 4K for under $3K, but need to wait for reviews. Not in a hurry since our house hasn't started yet.

Nice to hear about your Sony.

$12K is a good price for a 665ES from a local dealer but if doing the build yourself you can save about $3000 via online sales. There are a number of lower priced 4K projectors but they just do not have the image quality and operational features the higher end models have. Currently the competing projectors from JVC are running about $10K but these are not true 4K and use their panels with "e-shift" which is like a 1080 panel with up-scaling. It has other features which the Sony doesn't like 18Gbs processor that will be ready for new 12 bit formats and 60 and 120 fps video. While I prefer the Sony, you should look at the JVC as well so you know you are getting what you prefer. The lower end Projectors below the MSRP of $10K lack image quality and processing that makes the difference. The cheap projectors do have the brightness to match so that is usually not an issue. Going higher end we have the Laser light engine projectors. Pretty expensive ranging from $28K to $70K. I suspect this technology will come way down in price in 3-5 years.

I was finally able to see the Sony 4K in action and it looked great. The dealer was able to demo it with Direct TV HD, Blu Ray 1080P, 4K and 4K HDR. He was using a 135 inch 235:1 screen with masking that took it down to a 110 6x9 screen for TV.

The room was close to the dimensions I'll have at the new house.

... the Epson 6040 looked as good as it does.

I just upgraded my projector to the 6040 and I have been very impressed. I upgraded from a Epson 8350 and there is no comparison. I know it is not native 4K, but when comparing to my 4k tv in another room, I cannot tell the difference.

Reactions: AKGolf
I still haven't seen the 5040 or the 6040 with 4K content and I would like to do that before I make a decision.

The only vendor in town with the 6040 setup only has 1080P as the source.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)