Apple iPhone 5s vs 5c on launch weekend: flagship outsells plastic by a factor of three

Well, My wife got her 5C today. She had a 5, and was not even going to upgrade this go round, but she liked the color combos that were available between the phones and the cases that apple is selling. The same specs were a non factor for her, and honestly, between the two off paper, I didnt see that much of a difference either.

Anyway, she is happy now, so I guess I am too.

Yes, this is part of the intentional practices of a phone whore. Let the wife get a new phone (even though it has the same specs as her existing 5) so she feels like she is not getting a hand-me-down, then wait a couple months, and buy yourself something new….

It is a lot of fun to observe phone whores in action.. sneaky devils. ;) :D

Heard Dan Hesse ( CEO ) last night talk about the new Sprint. He was asked about the new iphone and the Jaffrey quote as brought up. Hesse said he didn't think Jaffrey was on target because Sprint was near out of stock. If AT&T and Verizon had the same sales, they may be out too. He said he wished he had placed double orders as he had no idea the demand for the 5S would be so strong.

Just got my 5c. Went from 4s. I would rather have had a 5. I got a white and put a black skin on it. I never look at the back. lol
I really like it. The speed is similar to the 4s when opening apps. Web browsing is definitely faster on the c.
The screen is the biggie for me. You wouldn't think that small of size increase makes a difference. It really does.
I sold my s on Gazelle for $190. Got Apple Care with the c so I broke about even. I'm happy:)

Well, my kid is going to be quite disappointed. I thought we had two devices eligible, but we only have one. And thus, I am NOT giving up my upgrade for him, if that means I don't get one until next June. So, he can get my iPhone 5 (but not a new 5S), but until he is paying the monthly bill, he doesn't get the lone upgrade. Indeed, if anyone should get it, it is my wife. But she could care less, and is totally happy with her iPhone 4S.

That said, when I do upgrade, I will trade in his 4S, to get some money towards the phone. The frustrating part is I could basically trade in my 5, and walk out with a new 5S for no cost (Apple says my 5/32GB is worth $319). But if I do that, he does not get the 5. Oh well, I'll go back to my earlier plan of waiting a couple months. :)

Apple is completely ripping you off with that price. I sold my 5 on ebay 16gb for 440.00 so a 32gb would sell for a 100 more easily, maybe 200 more.

Apple is completely ripping you off with that price. I sold my 5 on ebay 16gb for 440.00 so a 32gb would sell for a 100 more easily, maybe 200 more.
Not going to nitpick the details, but you have vastly overestimated the stupidity of eBay buyers for a 32GB iphone 5, today. :)
?

Not going to nitpick the details, but you have vastly overestimated the stupidity of eBay buyers for a 32GB iphone 5, today. :)
?

How when Apple is telling him his iphone Is worth $319, $120.00 less than a 16gb model? There's a tool you can use that shows what the market value is for electronics. I sold an iPad 2 for 330 and had a buyer contact me to say that 375 was asking to much when they were going for that at Wal-Mart.

Ultimately, I won't be selling my 5, as my son needs it as his phone since we do not have an upgrade available for him. BUT I will be selling my 4S, so I need to find the best place to sell it. So, keep the discussion going. :)

Gazelle will give me $305 for my iPhone 5. But it's going to my son since his iPhone 4 is starting to die. That's the entire reason I am going from a 5 to a 5s at this time. (Although I am sure when more 5s 64 bit optimized apps come out then u would want one anyways.)

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Gazelle is one of the higher value buyers of iPhones (mostly I search for more stingy ones). :)
I monitor their prices quite a bit on the 4S & 5...but have never sold to them.
For local sales, I prefer Craigslist over eBay.
Asking prices are often pretty high, but don't assume the seller got anywhere near that much. ;)
Recently, I saw an iPhone sell above market here in our own classified (certainly above Gazelle).
Guess it depends on how much effort you are willing to go to.
Last week I bought a local broken screen 4S at the Gazelle price of $75.
?That was way more than anyone else would pay, but I had been looking for a while and was frustrated.
?So even your junker might be worth something to someone.
?I might grab a broken 5, if I run across one. ;)

Last edited:
Gazelle will give me $305 for my iPhone 5. But it's going to my son since his iPhone 4 is starting to die. That's the entire reason I am going from a 5 to a 5s at this time. (Although I am sure when more 5s 64 bit optimized apps come out then u would want one anyways.)

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

This is the reason for my upgrade. My son wants my 5; he is complaining his 4S is slow. I don't buy it, but I want the new phone too. :)

Gazelle was going to give me $6 for my 32gig 3GS so I am just going to use it as a cheap iPod for my speaker dock instead. $6 seemed like such a lowball offer when the guts are worth way more then that individually.

Well, my 4S goes for $165 with "normal" use from Gazelle, the same price from Apple; $180 if I include the charger and cable. So, basically, it would cost me $160 to get a 5S ($299 plus Verizon's BS "fee" for upgrading).

Anyone know if VZW still provides the $50 discount since the upgrade is for my primary line?

But Verizon will give me $210 for the 4S… Hmmm… must see if they have 5S' in stock…

There's a website and app called varage sale. It's like craigslist but better as it is through Facebook. I've had good luck selling there. There's groups that should be local to join.

Radio Shack gives pretty good trade in prices, too.
And more if you are buying a phone (bring your charger).
I sold 'em an iPhone 4 last year, for about same as Gazelle.
?.
They'll give $20 for that 3GS, though you might get $50 - $75 with a private sale via Craigslist.
Just remember, the battery is on its last legs, and you need to remove the screen & PC board to replace it. :)

FOund out that it looks like a 2 week wait for a 5S if I get it from Verizon, need to check Best Buy; but if I were to drive to the Chicago Suburbs I could walk into an Apple Store and get one. Also found out I have 30 days to ship the old phone to Verizon if I go through the trade with them. Looks like I'd pay the $300 up front for the new phone, then get a $210 credit to my Verizon account when the phone goes in. Not a bad deal. Think I'll probably go that route.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts