Apple iPhone 5s vs 5c on launch weekend: flagship outsells plastic by a factor of three

It boggles my mind that Verizon was willing to pay me $210 for my 32gb 4S.

But remember, Walmart is selling those 5Cs at a loss. AND there are a lot of people who don't want to have to switch ALL of their accessories as the 5 and 5S require. All those cables, and docks. Plus, its free. So, who knows.

I was low balled on my iPhone 4S. People on Craigslist want iPhones for 100.00. Then eBay I get buyers sending me a message telling me I'm charging too much money. You should get a lot more for that 32gb version. Most iPhones on eBay either have a cracked screen, scratches, water damage or a bad esn and they still sell.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

News on added production for iPhone and iPad

Self explanatory-

Apple signs up contractors to ramp up iPhone production
7:24a ET November 6, 2013 (MarketWatch)
Apple signs up contractors to ramp up iPhone production

By Lorraine Luk

HONG KONG -- Apple Inc. is adding new contract manufacturing partners in Asia to boost production of its smartphones and tablets, people familiar with the supply chain said, as the technology company tries to ensure adequate supply to meet consumer demand.

Later this year, Apple (AAPL) will outsource manufacturing of the cheaper version of its latest iPhone, the iPhone 5C, to Wistron Corp. , a Taiwan-based contract maker that currently produces smartphones for BlackBerry Ltd. (RIMM) and Nokia Corp., the people said. Apple also plans to add Compal Communications Inc. to assemble its iPad Mini tablet starting next year, the people said. Also read: Apple beefs up margins on iPad Air, teardown says.

Apple is broadening its supplier base as its main assembler, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. , is focusing on producing the high-end iPhone 5S, which is currently in short supply, the people said. Hon Hai, also known as Foxconn, has also been under scrutiny for its labor practices, creating a headache for Apple, they said.

According to J.P. Morgan analyst Alvin Kwock, the high return rate of defective iPhone 5 smartphones also led to tensions between Apple and Hon Hai over which company would be responsible for repair-work costs.

(An expanded version of this report appears at WSJ:com http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303309504579181282222544024?mod=mktw.)
-Lorraine Luk; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com

In other news Apple continues in it's share buyback plan- Current shares outstanding as of today is 899.7 Million. There was no increase to the dividend being paid to share holders, ex dividend date today. Apple did announce last week it would address the topic of faster return of capital to shareholders at it's board meeting after the first of the year. It's cash build-up is increasing at a faster pace due to it's continued out performance in sales, world wide increase in markets, low dividend rate of only 2.32% at yesterday's close of $522.40/share. Carl Icahn, currently, continues to increase his holdings in the company currently at 4.25%. He has actively campaigned on behalf of the stock holders to increase the share buyback and dividend. He has publicly commented on his monthly meetings with CEO Tim Cook about share buybacks and with ever increasing holdings, would accept 2 seats on the board to swing some weight in what Apple does with it's cash pile that is growing at ever increasing rate. Not all share holders agree. Many want Apple to accelerate it's growth potential through expanded R&D and M&A. The problem Apple has is the majority of it's cash is outside the US which can't be brought back into the US under current IRS tax rules. So, current plans exhaust US based cash that has already been taxed at US rates and borrow money at current ridiculously low rates to buy back shares. Icahn wants Apple to expand its borrowing to pay for increased buyback of $150B in stock. This plan could put the stock to $1250 a share! Like myself, Carl's basis in the company is in the low $420's.

Carl Icahn is a double edged sword. He is an investor with self interest. As he gains power in the company through increased ownership, he will likely get his way and when the stock hit's 3X his investment he could pull out leaving the company in a flash crash. As a stock holder and a fan of Apple products one must keep a close watch on Carl Icahn's activities. See what he did with Netflix and you can see what he might do with Apple. The last thing Carl is concerned with is how happy the people are with Apple products.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts