AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is interesting, not only because my Internet is uverse, but because ATT is running line in my town right now in prep for uverse tv. We haven't had the tv option, just phone and Internet. I guess they can't sit around and wait on a possible merger ok that could take a long time, but that is a lot of work if u don't plan to keep something.

Wireless uverse is not going to happen like that. They would be better off running fiber the last mile instead of using copper / VDSL. There are areas of uverse (newer sub divisions) where fiber is already ran to the home.

That would be the FTTH.
However, thats great, but its very limited, you have to have something to offer for thos not in new homes as well.

AT&T IS getting out of the landline business, and eventually out of Uverse. They are leaving places now where the State has made it hard for them to transition out of Landlines such as Connecticut, unlike Illinois that is facilitating them being able to to it.

AT&T is leaving Ct for all services except of course wireless. Frontier has agreed not only to take over both landlines and Uverse, but is granted permission to expand to something like 27 other States including being the provider of Uverse in those States.

It would ceratainly appear to me that AT&T only wants the Wireless business, and would like to be a carrier and Direct TV is the target. Keeping Uverse is not their choice because it involves keeping landlines. I know for certain, from two people I now work with who are former long time lineman for At&T that they have systematically reduced all aspects of service, maintenance, and even marketing of Landlines for quite sometime now.
Of all the rumors of mergers involving one or the other Satellite company, this one I believe may have legs.

Linemen work has been contfacted out for years, but you still have to support the existing stuff .... Frontier is not going to buy All the att landlines ..... att didnt get what they wanted in Conn, so they dumped them, that in no way means they are dumping all landlines and uverse.

That is exactly what it means. (Not all Uverse as of now) Unless you are considering VOIP as a landline, At&t along with Verizon are getting out of the POTS landline business. I get offers almost daily to change my landline Verizon phone in Fl to their VOIP phone.

"AT&T's investments are projected to extend high-quality IP-based broadband services to 99 percent of all customer locations within AT&T's wireline service area."
"
POTS is a century-old system, and every dime spent maintaining it is a dime better spent building out a modern replacement."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/3613198/att-project-velocity-ip-rural-fcc

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...landline-service-becoming-obsolete/54321184/1

There are uncounted articles and bills that are in support of it. At&T in some instances are being let out of their obligation (or will be) if there are other options available, including the option of VOIP. They left Connecticut because it wasn't moving fast enough to allow changes.

Now back to Uverse. At&T is not going to have Uverse and Direct TV. If they are going after Direct TV, combined with letting Frontier own Uverse in 27 states, the handwriting is on the wall. They want out of Uverse too IF they can get Direct TV, or I suppose DISH.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Dish merge with either AT&T or Verizon and the work force from Dish be eligible to get into one of their unions to stop the company from pushing its employees around. There is a reason why Dish is the worst company to work for and I'm sure Direct isn't too far behind for nearly the same reasons.

It fixed lines business do not make enough profit for AT&T. Getting rid of copper and U-Verse would improve their revenue vs profits ration a lot.

How do you Directv customers like their customer service?If the answer is decent to really good,then you better hope ATT doesn't get their hands on it.

AT&T would need to keep launching satellites to maintain DIRECTV, satellites wear out and need to be replaced.

Yes, this keeps AT&T in the "triple play" but with much greater critical mass and a mature infrastructure while ditching the heavily regulated commitment expenses of copper wire. Verizon is physically cutting the copper cable to homes it upgrades to Fios. Keeping in the "triple play" game for less $$$ long run. That's what this rumored acquisition is about for AT&T. One has to wonder if this rumor is true if Verizon, also with a paltry in retreat TV service, will have no choice but to start start talking to Charlie for Dish to be competitive for the very same reasons AT&T may want DirecTV. If AT&T does want DirecTV, they should be wise to keep Mike White in the CEO chair for a good period after acquisition. Both AT&T and Verizon have had years to try and get traction in the pay-TV biz and they have failed miserably while being forced to pay the HIGHEST rates to acquire the programming because neither has critical mass. They came to the party too late. Fortunately, for them, each has plenty DEEP pockets to buy either Sat co. and BUY there way into a REAL TV service for the strength of the "Triple Play" offerings.

Last edited:
dvrexpander said:
I'd love to see Dish merge with either AT&T or Verizon and the work force from Dish be eligible to get into one of their unions to stop the company from pushing its employees around. There is a reason why Dish is the worst company to work for and I'm sure Direct isn't too far behind for nearly the same reasons.
Actually Directv is worlds ahead of Dish and was named one of the best places to work in Denver by the Denver post.

If AT&T does this I am cancelling DirecTV and will Pay ETF if I have one when this comes around!! :)

If AT&T does this I am cancelling DirecTV and will Pay ETF if I have one when this comes around!! :)

Don't worry. If it comes about, it will take so long to complete you will be out of contract.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Don't worry. If it comes about, it will take so long to complete you will be out of contract.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
That is why I put and will Pay ETF if I have one when this comes around!! :)

That is exactly what it means. (Not all Uverse as of now) Unless you are considering VOIP as a landline, At&t along with Verizon are getting out of the POTS landline business. I get offers almost daily to change my landline Verizon phone in Fl to their VOIP phone.

"AT&T's investments are projected to extend high-quality IP-based broadband services to 99 percent of all customer locations within AT&T's wireline service area."
"POTS is a century-old system, and every dime spent maintaining it is a dime better spent building out a modern replacement."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/3613198/att-project-velocity-ip-rural-fcc

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-04-16/landline-service-becoming-obsolete/54321184/1

There are uncounted articles and bills that are in support of it. At&T in some instances are being let out of their obligation (or will be) if there are other options available, including the option of VOIP. They left Connecticut because it wasn't moving fast enough to allow changes.

Now back to Uverse. At&T is not going to have Uverse and Direct TV. If they are going after Direct TV, combined with letting Frontier own Uverse in 27 states, the handwriting is on the wall. They want out of Uverse too IF they can get Direct TV, or I suppose DISH.

Your contradicting yourself .... you keep saying they are gotting out of this and that.... fwiw, VOIP works over Landlines .... untill they discover a way to do it wirelessly.

It fixed lines business do not make enough profit for AT&T. Getting rid of copper and U-Verse would improve their revenue vs profits ration a lot.

What ?
If they get rid of what your saying, whats left besides wireless ?

If they think they can live entirly off wireless tgey are crazy.

Sounds more and more like what Charlie Ergen is trying to put together with all that spectrum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts