AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What ?
If they get rid of what your saying, whats left besides wireless ?

If they think they can live entirly off wireless tgey are crazy.

From their annual report: http://www.att.com/gen/investor-relations?pid=9186

The Wireless segment accounted for approximately 54%
of our 2013 total segment operating revenues as compared
to 52% in 2012 and 76% of our 2013 total segment income
as compared to 70% in 2012. This segment uses our
nationwide network to provide consumer and business
customers with wireless data and voice communications
services. This segment includes our portion of the results
from our mobile payment joint venture ISIS, which is
accounted for as an equity method investment.
The Wireline segment accounted for approximately 46%
of our 2013 total segment operating revenues as compared
to 47% in 2012 and 27% of our 2013 total segment
income as compared to 31% in 2012. This segment uses
our regional, national and global network to provide
consumer and business customers with data and voice
communications services, U-verse high-speed broadband,
video, voice services and managed networking to business
customers.

The wireless business generated 76% of their profit with 54% of their sales. Also note the wireless is growing as a percentage of both sales and profits and the wired lines are quickly shrinking.

I'm confused. We still have a terrible copper landline that AT&T hasn't maintained well and even drops calls in bad weather. Several years back, we had DSL, and the Internet would sometimes drop out, too. When we were forced to upgrade to UVerse internet, they installed a special box and said it ran off of fiber optic rather than the phone line. The internet experience is much better, having had no dropped connections at all. My grandmother next door had her landline removed but got UVerse television. So, I just assumed UVerse was a fiber optic service.

I'm confused. We still have a terrible copper landline that AT&T hasn't maintained well and even drops calls in bad weather. Several years back, we had DSL, and the Internet would sometimes drop out, too. When we were forced to upgrade to UVerse internet, they installed a special box and said it ran off of fiber optic rather than the phone line. The internet experience is much better, having had no dropped connections at all. My grandmother next door had her landline removed but got UVerse television. So, I just assumed UVerse was a fiber optic service.

It depends ...
Uverse is Fiber to the VRAD only (FTTP), unless your in a new construction development which they could lay fiber before the place was built, making it possible to have Fiber to the Home (FTTH) which would bring the fiber to the NI on the house itself.

In most cases, it's fiber to the VRAD, 85% I'd guess.

FWIW, landlines are not going away anytime in the near future for the majority of the ATT Network.

As I keep telling people, UVERSE works off the copper lines going from the VRAD to the terms behind the homes.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Dish merge with either AT&T or Verizon and the work force from Dish be eligible to get into one of their unions to stop the company from pushing its employees around. There is a reason why Dish is the worst company to work for and I'm sure Direct isn't too far behind for nearly the same reasons.
cept ATT and Verizon have ditched most of their union people

Do you have any idea what you just said.

ATT is Union, the core people as well as the new Uverse part of the company.

True, but but i think that is still a fair statement as ATT has done major downsizing and farms out a lot of work. Are all of their subs union? (Not being rhetorical - asking because I don't know)

True, but but i think that is still a fair statement as ATT has done major downsizing and farms out a lot of work. Are all of their subs union? (Not being rhetorical - asking because I don't know)

I don't know for sure ...

But your right ... alot of work has been subbed out.

It depends ...
Uverse is Fiber to the VRAD only (FTTP), unless your in a new construction development which they could lay fiber before the place was built, making it possible to have Fiber to the Home (FTTH) which would bring the fiber to the NI on the house itself.

In most cases, it's fiber to the VRAD, 85% I'd guess.

FWIW, landlines are not going away anytime in the near future for the majority of the ATT Network.

As I keep telling people, UVERSE works offf the copper lines going from the VRAD to the terms behind the homes.

That should be FTTN, fiber to the node, FTTP is fiber to the premises, the same as FTTH.

A guy that bowls on our league said AT&T already owns part of Directv so they aren't taking over anything and he works for AT&T.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A guy that bowls on our league said AT&T already owns part of Directv so they aren't taking over anything and he works for AT&T.

AT&T has a working Partnership with D*.
They have been working together since Feb 2008.

As for Ownership ... I have never seen anything that actually stated that.
I too work for AT&T.

Reactions: bamasat
my opinion would be great for at&t to aquire direct tv

Many of those on this forum would balk at that as they hate AT&T.

I'm obviously not one of them.

I wonder if I could get the 6 years of concession pay back that they keep refusing me if they did merge ? :eek:
Doubtful. :rolleyes:

i don't know for sure but at&t was one of the pioneers in comm. satellites very possible they own some of dish and direct tv.i retired from at&t in 1982.

Instead of the copper lines running from your house to the switching station, possibly miles away, they run fiber to a box near your house and just use your phone lines from the new box to your house. Since the runs are short (under 1000 meters in most cases) they can avoid a lot of problem trunks between the switching station and your house.

i don't know for sure but at&t was one of the pioneers in comm. satellites very possible they own some of dish and direct tv.i retired from at&t in 1982.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!! :)

If this happens it will be bad for everyone. Prices will go up and the improved customer service will fade away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)