AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If this happens it will be bad for everyone. Prices will go up and the improved customer service will fade away.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

See what I said guys .... it took about 10 posts. :mad:

Hopefully this thread doesn't turn that way, it's been good so far.

I really see no downside to AT&T merging with Directv,as I've been saying before. Maybe AT&T will phase out U-Verse TV,offering Directv instead & in replacement of U-Verse TV. They could allow people who don't have LOS to keep their U-Verse TV. They can then offer U-Verse with Directv only(again offering U-Verse TV for those without LOS) to new markets & markets they upgrade DSL to 1gps internet. To say that this will reduce competition,you still have cable companies(who are monopolies in the areas where they are in that only one cable company is usually in any municipality at any one time) & Dish Network. AT&T merging with Directv certainly won't reduce competition where I live,but it may finally allow my AT&T DSL bill to be combined with my Directv bill,something I've been trying to accomplish for quite some time.

Let's say this happens.

What would it do for the available programming?

Would the channel lineups currently from AT&T U-verse and DirecTV essentially become merged? (That what AT&T U-verse subscribers currently do not get that DirecTV subscribers do receive would be made available for those AT&T U-verse subscribers and, of course, the inverse of that question?)

Let's say this happens.

What would it do for the available programming?

Would the channel lineups currently from AT&T U-verse and DirecTV essentially become merged? (That what AT&T U-verse subscribers currently do not get that DirecTV subscribers do receive would be made available for those AT&T U-verse subscribers and, of course, the inverse of that question?)

I doubt that would happen ...
Each has thier own contracts at this time.

I think each side of the TV merge woukd continue with they direction they are currently going.

Now once contracts came due, then you may see some posturing to get something on both thats not currently on them.

AT&T could use Directv receivers for their headend and place the channel numbers the same. The consumer could get it by dish or wire, same channels. AT&T would negotiate contracts more in their favor due to more customers under their wing.

It could work out like Bell Canada's TV offering. They offer a national satellite TV service, plus an IPTV service in some of their service areas.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

AT&T could use Directv receivers for their headend and place the channel numbers the same. The consumer could get it by dish or wire, same channels. AT&T would negotiate contracts more in their favor due to more customers under their wing.

Can you imagine either subscribers up in arms when they find out that they would have to learn the channels all over again ....

Can you imagine either subscribers up in arms when they find out that they would have to learn the channels all over again ....

I've had Directv since 2009 & I still don't know where all of the channels are,but they're mainly channels that I don't watch anyway.

Be interesting to see how this plays out. I didn't think much of it at first, but now hmmm.

They could keep the channel numbers the same as they had been just changing the source of the channels.

The only thing we haven't seen yet is Charlie putting his nose into this and making a competing bid to either screw up the deal or jack up the price
Key word there is Yet.

Which is OK because I am being told by friends at AT&T they want DISH over DIRECTV because of their spectrum.

I'd rather ATT stay the hell away from anything I'm involved in. I'm forced to use their DSL service and its the worst customer service Ive ever been subject to. Buy Dish and stay away from Direct.

Key word there is Yet.

Which is OK because I am being told by friends at AT&T they want DISH over DIRECTV because of their spectrum.

Maybe the whole we want DIRECTV is to pressure Dish to make a deal, if AT&T had been trying for Dish and could not work out a deal, maybe now they will get Dish to the table.

I think most folks have moved past numbers and just use the EPG. Of course, the order of appearance would be changed......

Status
Please reply by conversation.