AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think most folks have moved past numbers and just use the EPG. Of course, the order of appearance would be changed......

I'm actually about 50/50, if I know what I want to watch, I go directly to the channel number, otherwise I look at the guide.

I'm actually about 50/50, if I know what I want to watch, I go directly to the channel number, otherwise I look at the guide.
So we would be considered co-workers Jimbo! :p

As for the channels go, I work for Directv and still can't tell you 1/4 of the channels. If it's not nick jr, I don't get to watch :(

So we would be considered co-workers Jimbo! :p

As for the channels go, I work for Directv and still can't tell you 1/4 of the channels. If it's not nick jr, I don't get to watch :(

Yeah ...

If they go with DISH, they were with DISH previously, I need to get my complaining about thier Employees D* Discount quickly, I'm sure they won't play up if they go with Dish.

Key word there is Yet. Which is OK because I am being told by friends at AT&T they want DISH over DIRECTV because of their spectrum.

The only problem with that spectrum is whether or not the DOJ and the FCC will allow AT&T to control or monopolize that much wireless spectrum. That was one of the reasons the government rejected the T-Mobile merger. That could be the reason that AT&T has approached DirecTV rather than Dish, they probably think that a merger with DTV would pass regulatory scrutiny easier.

Of course if AT&T were to buy Dish, AT&T could simply slap the frequencies on their towers.

There is still the issue of the FCC and DOJ allowing AT&T to control that much spectrum. Now, they might could work out an agreement with the government to cherry pick and sell off parts of Dish's spectrum and their own.

I'd rather ATT stay the hell away from anything I'm involved in. I'm forced to use their DSL service and its the worst customer service Ive ever been subject to. Buy Dish and stay away from Direct.

So true. Their incompetence is top notch.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

From AT&T's point of view even paying 40 billion for DIRECTV it is a cheap way to acquire customers.

FYI:
AT&T could strike deal for DirecTV in two weeks
4:39p ET May 12, 2014 (MarketWatch) Print
AT&T could strike deal for DirecTV in two weeks

By Dana Cimilluca, Shalini Ramachandran and Thomas Gryta

AT&T Inc. is moving quickly to seal a takeover deal with DirecTV, with an agreement between the two communications giants as little as two weeks away, people familiar with the matter said.

The two sides are discussing a deal that AT&T (T) would pay for using a mix of cash and its stock, the people said. AT&T would likely pay a premium to DirecTV's (DTV) share price Monday, one of the people said.

DirecTV's shares were changing hands for between $85 and $86 apiece in late trading, giving the company a market value of nearly $45 billion. With an additional premium, a takeover could value the satellite-TV provider in the neighborhood of $50 billion.

For AT&T, using stock to help pay for such a transaction has the benefit of limiting its borrowings and thus helping protect its credit rating. But the more stock it issues, the greater its dividend obligations, which is another consideration the company is grappling with, some of the people familiar with the matter said.

There is no guarantee the two sides will strike a deal, and if they do that they'll be able to do so in the time frame envisioned. The companies have come close to striking a combination before, only to see it fall apart over issues including price, one of the people said.

Both companies stocks have gone up nicely since the initial announcement. Barclays analyst claim AT&T could pay up to $50B if DTV continues to go up and it still be a good deal. I look forward to the acquisition.

I feel sorry for DTV customers.Even more sorry for ATT land line customers.

I suspect Charlie Ergen has a plan to utilize that spectrum some way. Plans within plans within plans, ....

Status
Please reply by conversation.