Average 622/722 Temperature thread, Is your's Hot?

How long have you been using this and is it on 24/7? My other concern is noise. It seems like it may be the best solution for my 622.
It works fine and runs 24/7. Thermaltake is a quality brand, I have been using their CPU fan on my main PC for years.

If you turn the speed to top speed, it is noticeable in sound, at lowest speed, it is louder than the receivers' internal fans, but either way, it is certainly not noticeable over the TV's sound.

How does it work? Do you use it as intake or exhaust fan?

The fan is USB powered. Can you still use external hard drive after installing it?

I have mine sitting on the left side of the dvr as you look at it, near the front where the open grill on the left side is. It pulls cooler air in from the right, across the searing hot Broadcom chip and under the hard drive, venting it out the left side. Keeps my dvr 20 degrees cooler.

The fan is USB powered. Can you still use external hard drive after installing it?

If you don't want to lose one of your ports, or add to the load on the PS, you can get an A/C to USB adapter for less than $10 to power the fan.

NightRyder

How does it work? Do you use it as intake or exhaust fan?

I put pictures earlier in the thread.

A ViP622 has a USB jack on the back and one on the front. After I added a USB External Drive on the back jack, I put the fan's USB plug into the front jack. The front panel doesn't quite close as a result, but no big deal. (I imagine one could use a USB hub on the back if you care about that.)

How about a PCI Card Slot Fan?

I have a 622HZ that really struggles here in NV. I am using a laptop cooler which makes a big difference. I also have a PC Pancake fan pushing air into the back of cabinet that helps getting fresh air to the cooler pad.

The other day I found a PC fan that goes into a PCI Card Slot and directs air out of the back of a PC. It is only 1/2 thick. I pulled off the bracket, and double-sided taped the intake side of the fan over the right side ( as you look at the box) vents on the 622HZ. It pulls air left to right through the box and jets it out the right front side of the cabinet. I have cut the volts on both 12V PC fans to 9Vs which really quiets them down. I used wall bricks with variable outputs to do this.

My average temp has stayed at 40C since adding all three. I think the slot fan is actually the most effective. I am going to cut the other two loose, one at a time, to see what happens.

I bought the slot fan at Office Depot but here is a picture of one at Tiger:

Speeze Expansion Slot Rear Exhaust Cooling Fan 4F01B4 at TigerDirect.com

Here's a page with several cheap ones:

PCI Fans at Xoxide.com - PCI Fans

Photo of PCI Card Slot Fan Mount

Attached is a picture of my PCI Card Slot Fan Mount. The round opening intake side of the fan is double-sided taped over the right side air vents on my 622HZ. The hot air is blown out into the room. Temps are now 39c low, 43c high, and 41c avg. As you can see I have the box in pretty tight quarters.

I also have the box sitting on a laptop cooler and another pancake fan blowing into the back of the cabinet. Temps were high 40's until I added the Card Slot fan. I dropped the volts to 7.5 with an adjustable Radio Shack wall brick to lower the noise.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 200
I pulled off the bracket, and double-sided taped the intake side of the fan over the right side ( as you look at the box) vents on the 622HZ. It pulls air left to right through the box and jets it out the right front side of the cabinet.
If you read this thread, you'll find that the 622 is designed to pull air IN from the right side and send it right to left through the box, which is why we are all putting our exhaust fans on the left vents.

This is left and right as viewed from in front of the front panel.

SO, your fan is actually competing with the internal fans...

I thought the fan pulled down

I thought the fan was under the hard drive in the middle of the box and exhausted air downward. I also read the fan seldom runs anyway. I used the right side vents on the 622HZ as they are just the size of a pancake fan and airflow can be forced through this path. The vents on the left run the entire depth of the box and placing the fan there allows air to seep in at the edges of the fan.

My temps are in the low forties, warm air is coming out of the fans, and the box is cool to the touch. I must be doing something right.

NOTE: 622HZ temps are listed Centigrade. For comparison, 40C = 104F. 50C = 122F.

Last edited:
Nope

You must be in Canada...

Nevada, that's why I had to fight so hard to get the temps down.

NOTE: 622HZ temps are listed Centigrade. For comparison, 40C = 104F. 50C = 122F. ATT Dish Homezone 2Wire says they don't want the 622HZ to ever be above 48C/118.4F.

Last edited:
My avg temp is 132F

Since I first read this thread, I've checked my 622's temp from time to time. It has consistently indicated min-122F, avg-132F, max-140F. The ambient temp is low in the open-backed cabinet where the 622 sits, and the vents are unblocked. Reading some of the responses in this thread would lead me to believe my DVR is going to sieze up any day now. But as far as I know, its been operating at these temps for over a year and a half now and I don't have any complaints regarding its operation.

Curiously, the min, max, and average values haven't changed since I started looking at them. I wonder about the accuracy of these measurements.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts