BBC World News TV Channel

I have been asking Dish & Direct for years to add this channel. Nothing. I finally gave up. Face it guys! They’re never going to add BBC World News. If they were going to it, they would have done it years ago when it became available in the U.S. They think that the only news channels that we need are these tabloid channels like MSNBC, FOX News Channel, HLN, and CNN. They don’t want us to watch anything beyond the borders of this country! Every other cable and satellite service in the world beyond the borders of the U.S. has it. But not here! They want us to watch these news entertainment channels instead of presenting the facts to us like they do on all these foreign news channels.

Your reasoning holds no water. EuroNews, Link, Free Speech TV, CCTV, JVJapan (Free news broadcasts in English sub audio).........

You're probably right. It just makes me wonder why they have those channels, yet BBC World News is one of the most well known news channels around yet Directv and Dish Network refuse to carry. They must read these forums and see how often the subject comes up. However, it doesn't lead them towards putting the channel on.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Dish would add BBC, for that matter CNNI and maybe a couple of others. But at least they do have a few international ones.

Don't get me wrong. I wish Dish would add BBC, for that matter CNNI and maybe a couple of others. But at least they do have a few international ones.

Like Dish Platinum, Cricket Pack, it is time now to make a International news Pack.. Dish, consumers want international news on your platform... so how about creating a news pack in the 30th anniversary year? or may be these news channels can be added to the Dish HD Platinum pack to make it more attractive.. :)

There are plenty of other international news feeds that could be put together to create a very compelling international news pack. BBC World News is the big one, but SkyNews, France24, Al Jazeera English, DWTV, and even RT would be worth adding to such a pack. RT is available on my local cable system and I never watch it - but I am sure that there are those who would.

BBC World News is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a member of the BBC's commercial group of companies and is funded by subscription and advertising revenues.

I think you guys keep missing this single sentence from the above accolades for BBC World News. Unlike the real BBC news, BBC World News is not funded by the UK license fee and is forced to show a profit. i.e. They want American networks to pay up big time to carry this channel and this is why you don't see it broadcast in the USA. Otherwise there isn't a political reason for the operators not to carry it as it reports news from a pretty benign USA supportive POV.

On the other hand, IMO, the operators like Dish won't carry Al Jeezera, RT News, and several other similar channels simply because the channels, unlike the BBC WN, really do report the news from a non Western (re: USA & UK) POV and IMO, the operators, like DISH simply don't want to rock that political boat. ..lest they end up on the wrong side of legislation that will affect profits.

But dish DOES carry Al Jeezera, several hours a week. Free Speech and Democracy News is hardly run of the mill go with the flow US news, and they carry that. EuroNews, while not hard hitting, is very definitely from a different perspective, and then there are some hours of Deutsche Welle news, and TvJapan (free). I just don't see it as a conspiracy. If there is one thing to learn about Dish, it's cost is the ruling guideline. There has to be either not as much demand as we think, or a cost that dish does not want to pay. At one time no one really wanted Al Jeezera, more than no one wanted to carry it.

Before the uprisings in the Middle East I'm betting there was very little (if any) requests for Al Jeezera, maybe even BBC. In most instances it takes time to get a channel added even if Dish does want to add it. My only point is, Dish does have a decent amount of international news available. Not enough for those that pay more attention to world events, on that I certainly agree, and would welcome a package with some of the channels mentioned.

But dish DOES carry Al Jeezera, several hours a week. ..
Sigh.... already discussed here many times. Dish carries two public service channels that show selected programming from these channels. It's not the same as giving them carriage on their own channel in the basic programming tiers.

Sigh ....You completely missed my point which was specific to the poster I was replying to.
His opinion was that Dish would not carry Al Jazeera because of political pressure. "On the other hand, IMO, the operators like Dish won't carry Al Jeezera, RT News, and several other similar channels simply because the channels, unlike the BBC WN, really do report the news from a non Western (re: USA & UK) POV and IMO, the operators, like DISH simply don't want to rock that political boat. ..lest they end up on the wrong side of legislation that will affect profits."

Yet, Dish does carry several hours from TWO CHANNELS that carry Al Jeezera several times a day. Dish would avoid those two channels if they wanted nothing to do with Al Jeezera. It has much more to do with if they feel the channel is wanted enough to add it as a separate channel when many hours as week are already available. And when there is not a major event such as what is going on in the Middle East, is it worth carrying it, especially when the two channels carry extra hours of it.
That was my point, that you did not understand.

Last edited:
In my home, the Commander of the War Department (my lovely wife) read in the local news paper that BBC America will carry a direct simulcast of BBC One's commercial -free coverage of Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding. She gave me a direct order to record it. Well, I am in hot water. Dish TV, please him me, add the channel!! I have two dishes. Presently 61.5 and 118.7 are disconnected. I haven't read this thread will close, but is there any possibility that BBC might be on 118.7? Thanks for any help. I am in deep trouble!

We already have BBC America. (Channel 135) So If BBC America is indeed carrying BBC One broadcasts, you will get it. It is on the 72 and 129 Sats. If you are asking if BBC America will be on the 118 satellite I seriously doubt it.

BBC AMERICA CONFIRMS ROYAL WEDDING BROADCAST | Press Releases | BBC America Press

And I will point out, it will be in HD. (Assuming the broadcast from England is in HD and looking at the information it will be) Direct TV does not carry BBC America in HD.

Last edited:
We already have BBC America. (Channel 135) So If BBC America is indeed carrying BBC One broadcasts, you will get it. It is on the 72 and 129 Sats. If you are asking if BBC America will be on the 118 satellite I seriously doubt it.

BBC AMERICA CONFIRMS ROYAL WEDDING BROADCAST | Press Releases | BBC America Press

And I will point out, it will be in HD. (Assuming the broadcast from England is in HD) I don't believe Direct TV carries BBC America in HD.

Good Lord! Thanks Tampa8, I flat over looked it when I went thru the guide. I am back in good with the Commander. Thanks again.

But some of us still want BBC World News channel added when it became available. Getting the BBC World news from PBS doesn't cut it. It's shortened and always late at night. It's an after thought for the PBS stations. We have it so we will put it on at midnight.

I think we all get that at this point. His question turned out to be of a different nature, and Dish already offered what he wanted.

It is really strange that BBC World News is not carried by either Dish Network or Directv. It is carried on even some truly tiny rural providers but outside of Verizon Fios and Cablevision in New York City not any large ones. International News is provided on Dish Network for lots of foreign languages in packages but not for English speaking people who would like another perspective than the US ones. BBC World is not carried, nor CBC in the US, nor the Australian Networks. Again, it is strange. Weird really and a real shame!

International News is provided on Dish Network for lots of foreign languages in packages but not for English speaking people who would like another perspective than the US ones. BBC World is not carried, nor CBC in the US, nor the Australian Networks. Again, it is strange. Weird really and a real shame!

Ok, I guess mentioning the channels several times wasn't enough.
English language news not coming from the US on Dish;

Al Jeezera on two channels several times a day
EuroNews
JvJapan several times a day
deutsche welle , Mosaic World News, on Link/Free Speech a few times a day.
CCNEW
Programming on Free Speech/Link, while US located, are a very different look at the news, including a very different look via documentaries of news items.
CNNI is broadcast at times from CNN during many overseas crisis.

There is a wealth of international news not originating from the US.

Last edited:
Yes, to some, but that is very different from you said that I responded to.

"International News is provided on Dish Network for lots of foreign languages in packages but not for English speaking people who would like another perspective than the US ones."
To which my reply "There is a wealth of international news not originating from the US." (And in English)

Al-Jazeera English is on link(9410) right now. They are showing the house that Bin laden was living in and the seen after the attack. According to live witnesses this all happened yesterday morning. None of the u.s news channels are showing these pictures. Even times of india channel is showing al-Jazeera live.
This is why we need more international news on Dish.
God bless our troops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)