BBC WORLD News

I've posted in other threads that WETA, the PBS station in Washington, DC, has done a great job with its own "WETA UK" digital broadcast channel:
http://www.weta.org/tv/uk

If a national version of this channel could be rolled out, it would give BBC America some serious competition. My idea is for WETA to partner with Acorn to launch the nationwide network. Have it carried on the PBS platform, just like Create, World, etc.

Also, I understand that BBC America can't automatically get rights to all the best BBC shows, because some of them are surely outbid by PBS, etc. larger networks than BBCA. But I agree wholeheartedly with others in this thread that there must be *some* British programming that is A. Better than the crap they rerun endlessly now and B. The rights are still available in the USA.

Reactions: GaryPen
Of course it would be a great addition. Probably why we'll never see it. After all, this country only wants to see what is going on in this country. ;)

I know... :(

What annoyed me about BBC World News was that they covered very little news about the UK. Just like Russia Today carries very little Russian news but lots of opinion shows about the goings on in the US.
I would love to see foreign news about what goes on in their countries that doesn't go through the 30 second ABC/NBC/CBS filters. Or the other cable/satellite news channels as well.
NONE of them want us to see things from another point of view or to know what's going on outside of our borders. They keep the blinders on us and our heads strapped in a vise so we can only see the world and our country through the myopic 'Murica F*** YEAH! media filters.

Russia Today used to have a documentary series with some guy named James Brown, he would go around all over Russia and show how life is in different areas. It was really interesting and informative but they seem to have nixed it to make room for their never ending parade of opinion shows about American politics.

That's why I find the International News Pack SO great. I appreciate the variety, but I think they could pick one or the other out of Times Now and NDTV24x7 and replace the deletion with Deutsche Welle. I can find DW for FREE on multiple Roku sources, but Dish wants me to pay $30 a month just to watch a channel that I only want the English broadcasts for anyway? No thanks. BBC World News could even be put into this pack, but it's a big and popular enough channel that it should go in a basic pack IMO.

Afterall, in the US, we have those wonderful NEWS channels such as MSNBC, Fox News, CNN and HLN. :crying
As long as people continue to watch them, they will continue to operate under the same model and it will likely infect other outlets trying to get into the market.

The same goes for weather channels.

Reactions: dare2be
But does Dish have the contract rights to show it in HD???????
very good question to ask since it is on tv anywhere i think dish would add the channel onto the hopper 3 dvr in hd..did bbc world get alot of requests to be on dish.i would ask dish to add this channel to be added to the lineup dish should have enough bandwidth to add alot more hd channels they opened some of the bandwidth to add about 41 or 42 hd channels for our rsns.

Is it possible they picked up the streaming rights only, and not television. I don't remember hearing anything about Dish signing a deal to start offering this channel, so it may just be a great offer they picked up to offer streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)