Best OTA HDTV anteena Rochester, NY

paintman161

Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Ok right now i am using the Radioshack VHF, UHF and HDTV Indoor TV Antenna model #: 15-1880. Currently i can pick up some Digital stations but not all like CBS. I can get fox once in awhile but not always depends on the weather. Is there any way i can get better digital reception to i can pick up CBS and constanly get fox? I was looking at and small medium antenna b/c thats what antennaweb said i should use. Im only about 9 miles form the main tower. Any help would be great.
Thank you

I would suggest a winegard HD7084P vhf/uhf antenna mounted outside. This antenna is well made and will give you enough cushion for signal splitting and weather conditions. I would also stay away from the mutidirectionals...sharp shooters, etc. since they are poor for vhf.

Rick
Clay, new york

Last edited:
All your digitals are UHF and although some may revert to their VHF frequency at the changeover, I'd go for a four-bay bowtie type UHF antenna, like an Antennas Direct DB-4 or a Channel Master 4221.

Thank you for your comments, I was thinking of a smaller antenna that doesnt look so ... well big and ugly. Any other ideas ?

paintman161 said:
Thank you for your comments, I was thinking of a smaller antenna that doesnt look so ... well big and ugly. Any other ideas ?

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. We all love the 4228. If you really want HD OTA, you'd learn to love it too.

Uhf only (cm4221, cm 4228, or the antenna direct db-4) for rochester is not a good long term alternative and I would not suggest it. Also many of the multidirections are poor with vhf. Need your zipcode for directions and miles from transmitters and also what type of house construction you have to determine if an indoor antenna would be feasable.

Rick

my zip is 14624 , its wood construction with aluminum siding (i know it cuts the signal down some) i have a line of trees east of the house about 80' from the back of the house and one large pine tree on the north west corner of the house. I decided i will go with and outdoor antenna b/c of the siding on the house

Last edited:
My suggestion is the winegard hd7084p with no rotor for rochester reception only for vhf/uhf. If you want to also pickup buffalo then I suggest the hd8200p with the rotor. no preamp...you are too close to the rochester towers. Mounting in the attic is not advised because of the aluminum siding.

You should receive WNLO in buffalo easily...I can receive it here in syracuse on a good day with my HD8200p with no preamp. I even receive FOX in Rochester occasionally.

FYI...I combined a CM4228 with my HD8200p through a CM 0549 combiner...tried it for a few days and ended up removing it....The uhf on the hd8200p alone was as good or better on uhf on most channels.

I do not recommend a UHF only for rochester...Sorry.

Rick

Last edited:
try a winegard pr7010 or better yet a channel master 5646 super vee with a rotor ive installed both, the super vee is a great antenna for its size 66" and price $24.00

Ok, i ordered the DB4 from antenna direct. We will see how its does. Theres no way im going to spend money on a 112" antenna for 124.00 way to much and really not wirth it.

Thank you all for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts