Best Receiver - My Criteria Included

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Madden

Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Best Receiver? - My Criteria Included

I'm new to the scene and did some preliminary research, trying to determine what FTA receiver best suits my needs. I am still unsure to what receiver will be best for me. Below is my criteria. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Support (Forums, firmware, software etc)
2) Tivo IR codes work naively with receiver
3) AC3 support (Digital audio)
4) EPG
5) Ease of use / Interface
6) Under $200 (receiver)

1. Support-you found it right here at Sat Guys.
2. Unknown.
3. Pansat 3500, Fortec Liftime Ultra and Classic.
4. EPG doesn't work in the US.
5. Coolsat 4000 Pro.
6. Pansat 3500, and the 2 Fortecs.

I've heard that the ViewSat Platniums have full EPG support? Is that a myth?

I think most FTA receivers have EPG capability, it's just that you're not going to get EPG info from the satellites in the US so the feature is pretty much moot.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
1. Support-you found it right here at Sat Guys.
2. Unknown.
3. Pansat 3500, Fortec Liftime Ultra and Classic.
4. EPG doesn't work in the US.
5. Coolsat 4000 Pro.
6. Pansat 3500, and the 2 Fortecs.

I am thinking also of the Pansat 2700 ?

If you look & shop real hard , you may find a Coolsat Pro on ebay for around the $200 mark . I have been looking & wishing .

I have found a few FTA sats / channels that give the channel title on EPG , but very few .

Wyr

Madden said:

I suspect that statement is mostly pertaining to those people using the receivers for unautherized purposes ?

Wyr

Madden said:

EPG information has to be supplied by whoever originates the channel and since FTA is not meant for general consumption (in the US) there isn't any info. Or at least not like the kind you see in DBS receivers.

Technically you can sort of get a EPG but not on the receiver itself...if you have online access the best guides I've seen are titan tv.com and zap2it.com

Titan tv will cover most major satellite and cable co's depending on your zipcode.

zap2it.com takes it a step ahead and adds in 4dtv as well as cband. ;) There are some things I don't think that could ever really be added to a EPG like what would be on a true feed and so forth.

these ones here go up to two weeks in terms of viewing content. :shocked

If a channel has a website chances are they might have a schedual up. Also some might like a epg to do things with Tivo's etc. I have a generic pvr and to make a long story short I had to figure a way out to record without using it's tuner (feature didn't work well) running some av's in and doing manual recordings isn't hard at all. :cool:

Madden said:
I'm new to the scene and did some preliminary research, trying to determine what FTA receiver best suits my needs. I am still unsure to what receiver will be best for me. Below is my criteria. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Support (Forums, firmware, software etc)
2) Tivo IR codes work naively with receiver
3) AC3 support (Digital audio)
4) EPG
5) Ease of use / Interface
6) Under $200 (receiver)
Answer:
1)Forums:satelliteguys.us for support,Viewsat has the most support
2)Codes vary upon different receiver models
3)Viewsat VS2000 Platinum
4)Dreambox (really expensive),cheaper alternative is Viewsat VS2000 Platinum
5)Dreambox
6)Viewsat VS2000 Platinum
I uploaded pictures of the dreambox and viewsat,viewsat has epg pics
hope this helps,
good luck ftaing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts