Big Shake-up to Happen on 99w and 101w C-band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does in the end, disrupt some programming. However, I really don't think anyone is going to die because of it.

Unless I didn't read the first post correctly, MeTV is still goingt to be available FTA.

Half the fun is finding something new, such as a backhaul or news event. So, accept the change and move on.

Does in the end, disrupt some programming. However, I really don't think anyone is going to die because of it.

Unless I didn't read the first post correctly, MeTV is still goingt to be available FTA.

Half the fun is finding something new, such as a backhaul or news event. So, accept the change and move on.
ME is a goner. Yep you didn't read it right ;)

actually looking at old posts when they launched in December 2010 they were on AMC3 (at the time...87W)
moved to 101W around May 2012 (simulcasted on both) and were dropped from 87W at the end of June

Reactions: . Raine
I like having the pr vi mux as a back up to my antenna I was joking about fiber. I am the type of guy that would like to fix something outside and getting it to work than wait on cable or isp to fix the problem. I Like the fact that when its bad weather out I can still get a signal over my neighbors. I was missing 97w ku so gives me to go back to. Another thing is if they have nothing on those sats they wouldn't be making money plus 99w c band is strong signal over NA.

I don't recall discussing price gouging. It is supply and demand pricing. The bandwidth is limited and with the build, maintenance and replacement schedules, the cost is high. Is 15k per month really that expensive to put you 24/7 channel in front of 5-7 (potential 50+) million viewers in North and Central America? Every additional satellite viewer decreases the per viewer cost, but with IP delivery, every viewer costs more!

Satellite distribution is economical if overcoming geographic obstacles or supporting a large number of downlinks with "broadcast" experience or local insertion type programming. Providing a local experience is very expensive.

Satellite distribution remains economical and viable for most broadcasters. I don't see this delivery method becoming obsolete any time in the foreseeable future.

This departure has little to do with the economics of satellite bandwidth cost. It is about matching technology to the needs of the broadcaster's distribution scale and requirements for content security.

Boycott fiber? Serious? We all want giga connections for our Netflix and YouTube puppy videos, but whine and cry when the technology disrupts other distribution models.

A major shift occurred when fire was created by man, but to this day we still enjoy salads, fresh fruits and sushi... :D

"A major shift occurred when fire was created by man, but to this day we still enjoy salads, fresh fruits and sushi."
Hi Brian. Is the phrase above your own creation? Not only smart but funny:). Add Tartar patties and other row delikatessen.

Reactions: Titanium
Guys, I still can see a lot of new geostationary satellites being launched almost every month, if it is not for TV links or broadcast, what is the purpose of this new fleet?

Arrgh. I was so jazzed when H&I came on... Thought maybe Weigel was doubling down on FTA, not teasing us before they cut us out completely.

There are absolutely no OTA channels available here .... without a 200ft tall antenna anyway (nor cable) . Not that there is much worth watching on network and cable.

Good to know, but very sad to hear. I hope this has nothing to do with a certain someone managing to contact the uplink facility for 99W this past summer. :-/ It doesn't appear to be the case, but I continue to wonder if it was part of the decision. :-( I'm glad I just found out, otherwise I would have blamed the missing channels on the weather or my dish alignment again. :-( Anyway unlike some of you, I'm still not giving up on FTA, I spent too much time, energy and money to just dump on it now. C-Band is still where the action is, I am still planning a way to convince my wife for a second 1.2M dish on the roof for 87W C-Band. But on the other hand, since my favorite FOX station from Missouri is going away among a handful of others, I might just repoint my C-Band dish at 87W. Seems like more channels have been added there recently, I want to see if I can get it. I still need to think it all over, as I still enjoy the Lesea channels at times too on 99W. My other favorite is NHK World from Japan on my Ku dish, as long as that continues to stay on, I will continue to always enjoy FTA. I'm sure other channels will be added to replace the ones going away eventually, there's still much to see and hear on FTA. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Interesting article - just might explain a lot. Since my local CBS station is an affiliate, not owned and operated (O&O) by CBS, I wonder if they'll bite and add a subchannel to carry this new Decades channel. Both CBS and NBC in my market don't use any of their bandwidth for subchannels currently and the ABC affiliate has only one for Antenna TV (which they interrupt through the day for news and local programming).:(

Interesting article - just might explain a lot. Since my local CBS station is an affiliate, not owned and operated (O&O) by CBS, I wonder if they'll bite and add a subchannel to carry this new Decades channel. Both CBS and NBC in my market don't use any of their bandwidth for subchannels currently and the ABC affiliate has only one for Antenna TV (which they interrupt through the day for news and local programming).:(
Would that be 16.2 by chance?

Reactions: FTA4PA
Howdy neighbor
Howdy:) We're located in a valley with a large hill right between us and the towers to the north-east. Best reception is WYOU and WBRE (with no subchannels:mad:), then WNEP and WVIA. Intermittent reception from WOLF. All about 41 miles away. Got WQPX and WSWB once (about 57 miles away, disappointing since they have the Ion and MeTV subchannels). Gonna try a 91XG antenna on a higher mast, hopefully before the snow sets in, but not holding out much hope with the hill there.

I'm just a little north of Wilkes barre.. I use a directv provided gs2200 with power and get all of the above lol. Antenna is on the roof on an extended mast.. about 34' off ground level. My ladder is a 32 and just hits my gutter.. and I know the guy that helped me do the wiring has a 28 and his wouldn't reach to safely work on the dish or aim the antenna... so I'm pretty high up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)