Bowl channel 9637

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
What is this channel for?I know they add it every year around this time,but does it actually show anything?

Only thing I can think of, is it's an emergency alternate channel for direct network feed of Super Bowl?

Reactions: Teehar
Only thing I can think of, is it's an emergency alternate channel for direct network feed of Super Bowl?

That is what I thought it was too. Not sure if this would happen, but what if a contract expired with a station and it got nasty and they pulled the station during the super bowl? I would think that Dish would have another feed available to turn on immediately. After all, NBC is broadcasting the super bowl for free online, so anyone can watch it without needing to authenticate with their TV provider, so I would think Dish could provide an alternate NBC feed if an areas NBC station was pulled.

yep, this Bowl channel is a "Standby" channel reserved for when a local channel that is airing the Super Bowl this year falls into dispute on Super Bowl weekend and has not been resolved.

so, is there any local stations in dispute right now and how many of them are NBC stations.

I wonder if they turned the station on for Paducah subs since the transmitter went out?

Really bad news for those in the Paducah, KY/Cape Girardeau/Carbondale, IL market, as WPSD, the NBC in Paducah (Channel 6) was out for nearly the entire second half of the Super Bowl tonight.

Apparently DirecTV put their channel 392 on during the third quarter, but everyone else was out of luck except for online.

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/story/27997920/update-on-super-bowl-outages

and I guess folks had fun on spacebook about it too

So how would Dish be allowed to turn on another feed? Even for something like WPSD that Iceburg posted, Dish isn't allowed to import another NBC affiliate, correct?

So how would Dish be allowed to turn on another feed? Even for something like WPSD that Iceburg posted, Dish isn't allowed to import another NBC affiliate, correct?

I am guessing they would use a feed directly from the NFL. Dish doesn't carry CSN Philly, but back when NBA League Pass was in free preview and for the Raptors/76ers, the NBA League Pass game was an HD feed of CSN Philly. There were no commercials with it, rather just a boxscore directly from the NBA. So it was an NBA feed. I am guessing the same thing would have happened with the Bowl channel - even though NBC was producing it and broadcasting it, Dish would have used a feed from the NFL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts