Brother JUST got DISH and 942

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
My brother just got DISH TV a week ago... he got the HD package with the 942.

What does this mean for him and the VIP622 changes and MPEG4 and all that stuff I've read about.. etc. Is this going to cost him more money than if he had waited a few 2 weeks? Or will they swap out his 942?

Or.. can he just keep the 942 or will he lose functionality?

yes there's those if cant get them with antenna, plus the new voom (if he subscribed, doesn't look from theOP he did) channels and a couple of others.
But he will be able to get what he see's today, plus the winter olympics. he will need to wait til april 1st to get the $200 dollar rebate offered on "upgrades of DVR's" to cost him the $99 dollars mentioned by reefer123

See the post here for all the details http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32421

Last edited:
So no big deal then? He really won't ever "need" a VIP reciever? Or will everyone need one eventually? Confused on the difference between Mpeg2 and Mpeg4 etc.

i assume if EVERYONE needs one someday for them to switch to the newer signal... they will come to your door and swap them right? They can't FORCE anyone to pay $100 upgrade?

no, he will be fine until MPEG4 takes over, but honestly, he should contact Dish NOW and see if they will give him a credit of some kind, $5 a month for 12 months or what have you, once he takes the upgrade offer after April 1.

That would make the 622 basically free ($39) but would still give him access to all the MPEG4 programming forever.

Dish is more willing to provide service credits over time than all at once rebates and discounts, at least in my limited experience.

I think he means takes over as in the existing HD channels migrate over to MPEG4.

Of course there is the day when all SD channels go to MPEG4 also. But that is so far out there, that I'm sure even dish isn't thinking of that final cut off date.

Yep.. that's what I meant...

Better to rephrase it too "When will they HAVE to swap out my 522?".... (which doesn't support Mpeg4) :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts