Burning Programs to dvd question

Muckrak3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Texas
Okay, I have the 722 Vip. If I get an external drive, can I move HD programs over to my PC and burn them? Will my PC recognize the file type? This is sort of the wrong forum, and I suck at searching. Kill me.

Are you trying to A) burn the movies in HD to Bluray or HD-DVD; or are you B) talking about doing a downrez to SD and burning to DVD?

If its the former, I recommend a R5000HD mod for your Dish receiver. It's the best way I've found to archive flawless satellite recordings (captures the raw stream) on the PC. Then you can archive to any HDD you want. I further recommend Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra to do the file playback on your PC.

If its the latter, I recommend a Sony DVD set-top DVD recorder. It offers excellent PQ and robust 16:9 flagging through S-Video. I've owned 2 models and they're great...most other brands' DVD set-tops don't do a very good job in offering solid manual flagging of 16:9 (which is ridiculous, imho).

So, does anyone know of any projects working on cracking the data from the external HD? I know -- if it's encrypted, it's bound to be "illegal" to crack... but come on. I see taking a tv show from the DVR and burning it on an HD-DVD as no different from taping that show using VHS. Sure, the quality is better, but the point is the same. I want to make a personal recording of a show on TV.

So, does anyone know of any projects working on cracking the data from the external HD? I know -- if it's encrypted, it's bound to be "illegal" to crack... but come on. I see taking a tv show from the DVR and burning it on an HD-DVD as no different from taping that show using VHS. Sure, the quality is better, but the point is the same. I want to make a personal recording of a show on TV.
We don't discuss that around here and don't want it discussed around here. There are plenty of posts telling you where you can find that kind of discussion. Your interpretation of what should and should not be legal is fine for you but won't hold water in court. Like it or not, that's life and it's not an item for discussion on this forum.

Feel free to ask about anything else and you will get plenty of help.

The owner of this site, whoever it is, could be sued for aiding and abetting trademark, or copyright infringement if s/he allowed open discussion about breaking code, modifying equipment, etc. All it would take is a call or e-mail to the legal department of the satellite or cable company and they would be all over him or her like flies on you know what.

P.S. No, I am not a lawyer, or pretend to be one.

Yeah, I figured as much... That's the reason I waited for someone else to post the question :) There is a certain Yahoo group that does specialize in this sort of thing, but unfortunately the 622 ext hdd is still yet to be conquered...

I'll respect the wishes of the management to discontinue any talks about where/how/etc...

But... I will say this... It's a pretty sad time when you are considered a criminal when you want to create a personal copy of a tv show/news broadcast/event. It's not like the pirates are making rips of satellite content anyways... with HDDVD and BluRay being cracked wide open, their focus is on high quality HD rips, not pixelated satellite :)

Well, here's the thing, I just talked to Dish because when they sold me the 722, the guy told me (and I asked THREE times) that YES, you can hook it up to your PC and NO, I found out that you can't because the puter won't recognize it.

I assume because of a proprietary format or encoding or whatever.

So, the DISH guy says that you can decode it but they didn't know how to do it.

Bottom line is, what the hell are my options if I want to take recordings already made on the 722 and STORE for future use. Whether it is to WATCH somewhere else or MOVE back to the external hard drive and then connect back to the 722 which by the way is an as* backwards approach but still something.

I want this for my personal use and not for burning and selling.

For instance, I would like to record the olympics and simple take out and save the stuff I LIKE.

That's why I bought this and it's the SECOND time I get screwed by Dish and I'm promised something they can't deliver.

I can move something to the Drive just fine but not really store it further. I mean, the drive WILL fill up and it CAN go bad.

As for DVD recorders to hook up to the DVR, the only problem with that is that I want to be able to move stuff from the 722 externally somehow and I want to do it AFTER they've been recorded. You know, after I see IF I like the show and so on...WHAT are my options?

Also, what is the "R5000HD" mod?

Thanks

George

Well, here's the thing, I just talked to Dish because when they sold me the 722, the guy told me (and I asked THREE times) that YES, you can hook it up to your PC and NO, I found out that you can't because the puter won't recognize it.

I assume because of a proprietary format or encoding or whatever.

So, the DISH guy says that you can decode it but they didn't know how to do it.

Bottom line is, what the hell are my options if I want to take recordings already made on the 722 and STORE for future use. Whether it is to WATCH somewhere else or MOVE back to the external hard drive and then connect back to the 722 which by the way is an as* backwards approach but still something.

I want this for my personal use and not for burning and selling.

For instance, I would like to record the olympics and simple take out and save the stuff I LIKE.

That's why I bought this and it's the SECOND time I get screwed by Dish and I'm promised something they can't deliver.

I can move something to the Drive just fine but not really store it further. I mean, the drive WILL fill up and it CAN go bad.

As for DVD recorders to hook up to the DVR, the only problem with that is that I want to be able to move stuff from the 722 externally somehow and I want to do it AFTER they've been recorded. You know, after I see IF I like the show and so on...WHAT are my options?

Thanks

George

Whoever you talked to was lying to get the sale. They need to be reported. You will not find anywhere on their website the ability to transfer show files to a computer for the "purposes" of "personal" use.

The external drive function will let you move shows over to an external hard drive and you can have as many external hard drives as you want.

Cable and the Broadcast Networks have made things very difficult for the Satellite companies to operate. The rules and regulations are very strict about what can and cannot be done.

If you want to transfer shows, you will need a standalone Tivo that re-encodes the programs into mpeg format or you can get a PC capture card and run cable or OTA into your computer and make all the "personal use" files you want to.

There are a LOT of "personal use" show files out there on the bittorrent networks... This is part of the reason sat operators have all these restrictions.

You can play the show back on your DVR and have an output of the 622/722 going to a DVD recorder. Not HD (not aware of any HD DVD recorders out there yet) but widescreen and pretty good picture quality.

Thanks

George

The R5000HD mod is a great system that allows you to record your Dish content 'live' to a PC using a combination of a USB-based 'tap' (the hardware mod) and the bundled PVR software. You can then archive to HDD, playback via certain software players (I recommend Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra, as I mentioned before), or output to D-VHS via firewire (if the source stream was MPEG-2).

This solution isn't cheap nor is it for everyone (it's $550 for the mod, and you have to OWN your receiver; plus, you should have a slightly techy mindset/aptitude, though it is by-and-large extremely easy to use). Like the Slingbox, it's a great solution for folks who want viewing flexibility w/ the content they're paying for. Again, like the Slingbox, it's the kind of user-centric legal option I wish was more prevalant in this industry. Check it out at:

R5000-HD High-Definition PVR

If you have any other questions, there are lots of threads devoted to it on the AVS forum.

I use the Dish harddrive archiving feature for some things, and the R5000HD for others. They both serve a similar purpose, as you said--you want to keep the content for later viewing. The main difference: the Dish archiving solution only allows viewing off of/through the originating reciever; while the R5000HD is PC-based and allows other viewing options. Depending on your situation and the content, one may be more appropriate than the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)