C Band Dish Installation Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
N6BY,

What a generous offer, but I have have about 3 different levels as it stands.
iPhone stanley bubble level app, and inclinometer and a regular bubble level.
I truly appreciate your offer and may take you up on it if all else fails.
Thanks again !!!

John

Hi All,

Here's where things stand right now.
First of all I took the day off from work in order to get this damn thing up and running...been out since 9 AM almost 2 hours now.
I took the advice that Brian and FaT Air gave me and I locked on to a fluctuating 10% signal quality. 4000 H 29126 was the only one I got any signal on. I also tried Brian's suggestion of 3804 V 4167 but got nothing. I moved the dish by hand to where the signal seemed the least fluctuation...(most steady 10%) and adjusted the latitude from 40 to 44 and then back down to 38, moving the dish slightly each time. No change in signal quality.
Any suggestions ? Should I adjust the declination and if so, to what ?
Thanks in advance.

John

When you said "latitude", did you mean elevation? I keep hoping to see that you got it licked every time I see a new post in this thread. Did you try moving a bit left or right after you got as much as you could adjusting the vertical? If you were right on the edge you would have to move one way or the other and repeat the vertical peak again.

I hope I haven't and don't muddy the water for you. You have been getting excellent advice, but to many COOKS spoil the broth.

Sure wish you had some sort of meter even a cheap one. So you could see a signal fast, instead of having to wait 10 seconds. I think that would help you out immensely.
Only other thing I can think of is the Focal distance is not set right.

Sorry to see this is still giving you problems. We've all been there - we feel we have done everything right and it's just not coming together for us. Perhaps post up a few more pics of the dish, with the new lnbf from KE4EST on it, from several angles. Maybe someone will spot something. Hang in there and you will get it. :)

bpalone,

Yes i mean elevation. I haven't touched the declination.
As far as I'm concerned I can never have too much advice.;)

Michael,

The only meter I have besides the one on my MicroHD is a Pico Peaker from the analog days.
I set the focal distance at the specs that KTI suggested for my 7.5 dish, 33 3/4 inches...well 34 inches is what I'm at.

John

Michael,

Yes but have long forgotten how to use it.
The thing is I've found 83W I just can't get more then a 10% blip out of it.

John

Just thinking out loud here, but could it be that he is trying to peak on a side lobe? I'm assuming he is using 83W for the closest to due south and there is a lot of open space east of that bird. Pretty easy to mess up aligning for True South by a bit.

Just trying to help out a bit.

Reactions: JFOK
Michael,

Yes but have long forgotten how to use it.
The thing is I've found 83W I just can't get more then a 10% blip out of it.

John
Yeah, but how can you be sure you have hit 83W or just a random terrestrial signal?

If you place a straight edge on the dish face (top edge to bottom edge) what is the elevation angle reading?

Found this description of how to use the meter. Seems spot on to my memories of using these units.

----------

1. Connect the "IF" output of your down converter or LNB to the "IN" connector on the PP-1450

2. Connect the PP-1450 output to the receiver's "IF" or LNB input.

3. Turn On the receiver and select either a horizontal or vertical transponder.

4. Set the attenuator switch on the PP-1450 to the "OUT" position.

5. Turn the sensitivity control to the clockwise "MAX" position.

6. Depress the "RESET" button for 3 seconds and release. the needle should point to the black bar area on the right hand side of the meter.

7. If The Needle Does Not Point to the Black Bar Area, decrease the sensitivity control slightly and depress the reset button for 3 seconds. Continue this operation until the needle points to the bar area on the figure. In regions of strong signal, the meter may not reset even with the sensitivity control turned to minimum. If this occurs, set the attenuator switch to the "IN" position and restart step 5.

8. Aim The Antenna; the PP-1450 looks at all frequencies present on the "IF" line. As you begin to acquire a signal, the meter will move, or dip, to the left.

9. When the Needle Reaches the Left Side of the Meter stop position the antenna and press the reset switch for 3 seconds. The meter should reset to the black bar area. Continue aiming the antenna. Note: If the meter does not reset, alternately turn the sensitivity know CCW and depress the reset switch for 3 seconds. Repeat this operation until the meter returns to the black bar area.

10. Continue To Aim The Antenna. Repeat steps 8 and 9 above until no further antenna movement results in a decrease in the needle position. The meter will indicate it's lowest position to the left. Your antenna is now precisely aimed.

Reactions: JFOK and KE4EST
Hi All,

I got the PA cable network using the old Pico Peaker for about 3 minutes, then while adjusting the dish bit by bit, I lost the signal and haven't been able to find it again. I tried retracing my steps but to no avail.

Brian,

The elevation level was 40.4 tried adjust it bit by bit and thats how I lost the signal. When I went back to that setting no PA cable.:(

John

Hi All,

Well I had a brief fling with success, with a quick viewing of PA cable on 83W, but I've been at this since 9 AM and it cost me a day's work with no real gains.The Pico Peaker worked well after sleeping 16 years and brought back memories of the days when finds were so much easier. Unfortunately it didn't help me as much as I would have liked. My thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but I'm going to have to pack up everything for a while. Rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week and besides that, I have to work. Also...I have other responsibilities now, that will most likely take up any free time I have to do this, for the foreseeable future.
If anyone locally is so inclined to help me get this dish up and running, a personal visit would be most welcome.
Thanks everyone.:hatsoff

John

Now we know the light is not a train. :) You're really close to getting there, hang in there, you've earned a victory.

Yes, you know it is possible now! :)
You will get it.

Michael and bpalone,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Hopefully in a few months, I'll have time once again, to work on this.
I'm packing it up for now.

Thanks,

John

N6BY,

What a generous offer, but I have have about 3 different levels as it stands.
iPhone stanley bubble level app, and inclinometer and a regular bubble level.
I truly appreciate your offer and may take you up on it if all else fails.
Thanks again !!!

John
The digital readout is accurate to 1/10th of a degree. The word "level" is a bit of a misnomer because mine measures things that aren't level.

If you place it in the center of a prime focus dish and turn on the laser and point it at the middle of the LNBF feedhorn, it will give you the exact elevation. Or you can place it on the back of the dish and subtract the displayed value from 90 to get the elevation. As you are adjusting the elevation, once you get a signal you can mentally note the value in the digital display. That way if you lose it again you know where to go back to.

Anyway, if you change your mind just let me know and its yours.

N6BY,

Thanks again for that generous offer. I will definitely keep you in mind if my next attempt fails.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)