C Band Dish Installation Update

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Make sure that the ASC1 LNB menu setting is correctly set for 18v (to properly power the LNBs) and the cursor on the left side of the ASC1 satellite install menu is not set on a polarity (manual overriding the STB polarity).

Going back to what Fat Air suggested. The 4DTV had a polarity reversal selection in the install menu. If the setting in the 4DTV unit had been set to "Reverse", the feedhorn was aligned to work 90 degrees out of rotation and the chaparral install template would be incorrect and 90 degrees out of rotation. It is simple to know if the polarity is set correctly. With the dish pointed to the top of the arc (true south) and the set-top box tuned to a vertical transponder, is the probe inside of the feedhorn rotated straight up/down (12o'clock/6o'clock)? When the STB transponder is changed to horizontal, does the probe rotate to horizontal 3 o'clock/9 o'clock?

The ASC1 is programmed to the default "normal" feedhorn rotation (+45/ -45). If the feedhorn was installed using the Chaparal template or the 4DTV menu skew setting was normal, then the polarity should be correct (the template aligns the long side of the servo with roughly 11o'clock). If the 4DTV menu selected to reverse, then the feedhorn needs to be rotated 90 degrees or each polarity setting in the ASC1 needs to be reversed from +45 to -45 and visa versa.

Brian,

I will check the feedhorn alignment again as you and Fat Air suggested. I thought I had it correctly rotated, but then again maybe not. The probe seems to be in its proper orientation for H and V signals at the top of the arc. I'll have to inspect it closer to make sure the servo motor is operating correctly. Just gotta find that Chaparral template either online or somewhere in my vast box of satellite equipment.
In the meantime, KE4EST has generously offered to help me get this dish up and running using an easier solution.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FTA4PA and KE4EST
You can use dishpointer.com to figure out exactly where to aim your dish based on nearby trees, buildings, etc. Just type in your address and the sat you are trying to get, and dispointer will show you the line of sight. I think its more accurate than a magnetic compass or phone compass app.

Also I highly recommend getting a digital level like this one: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-in-digital-lasertrac-reg-level/p-00948292000P It takes the guesswork out of getting the dish at the correct elevation angle.

Below is a screen shot of dishpointer aimed from my location to 121W which is my southermost satellite. I used a tree in the greenbelt for aiming due south.

south.jpg

Reactions: JFOK
N6BY and primestar31,

Dishpointer was one of the tools I've been using. The other is an iPhone app called Sat Scope.

John

My magnetic compass is worthless anywhere in the vicinity of the steel pole. But with dishpointer, a landmark, and the digital level I have, on occasion, gotten a receivable picture on the first try.

But many years ago, the first time I tried to get my BUD aligned to the entire arc took me a week. That was before I had the tools I now use.

Hi All,

Here's an update.
I installed the new C1-PLL LNBF that KE4EST so generously gave me.
I installed it per directions indicating that I should set the "0" at the 12 or 6 o'clock posititon at highest part of the arc. I chose to put it at 12 o'clock.
After checking the polar (42 degrees) and declination (48.5 degrees) numbers using an inclinometer and my Stanley iphone level app,
I attached the C band coax and positioned it for 78W (3885V 22999) using another iphone app called Sat Scope. I moved it back and forth several times bit by bit using the positioner...nothing. I even tried moving it by hand...nothing. Each time waiting about 10 seconds for a lock. I'm only getting a signal from my microHD telling me I have an operating LNBF. I then tried 83W (4000V 29126)...nothing.
What should my settings for the microHD be ? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything there.
Thanks in advance.

John

Just make sure the LO in the receiver is set for 5150.
My guess is the elevation, must be way off.
I would start changing the elevation in one deg changes and move again.
When you say move by hand......hmmmm?????
Are you using your actuator and the ASC1 to aim??
To find your first sat, go ahead and drive the actuator so that the dish is at Zenith(highest point before it starts dropping). Then adjust your elevation and move the whole dish back and forth on the pole.
Everything by hand. No signal, drop or raise your elevation a degree and move back and forth again(The whole dish on the the pole, NOT WITH ASC1.
Find that first bird before starting to use the ASC1 to adjust to the ARC for others sats.
Did that make sense?

Michael,

I use the actuator to aim in the direction of the satellite, then I move by the dish by hand, a little one way then another, to try to find a signal.
I'll give your suggestion a try.
Thanks.

John

Michael,

On 83W (4000V 29126) I'm getting an occasional flash to 10% on signal quality, but that's all.
I move the elevation up and down a bit and the dish side to side by hand,but no change...just the occasional 10% flash.

John

Hi All,

Well I'm done for today after another unsuccessful day searching for satellites.
The best I got was a 10% signal quality for 83W. Guess I don't have the talent I once had,
doing this. In the analog days it took me one or two days and I was good to go.
Its going to rain all day tomorrow and unfortunately, as spring and summer progress, I'll have less and less time to work on my dish as other responsibilities will take over. I really wanted to get this up and running today.
Thanks Michael for your suggestions today.

John

I calculate 83w satellite to be at approx. 40 degrees elevation and a compass reading of 213 for Cape Cod, MA. Is that your approx. calculation?

On 83w satellite, I would use PA Cable Network transponder @ 3804 V 4167. Be sure LNB power is on and set to auto and the LO is set to 5150.

Use the ASC1 to drive the dish approx 19 degrees west of the top of the arc (194w) and check that the dish face is aimed at approx. 40 degrees elevation. Watching the Signal Quality reading, SLOWLY sweep (rotate) the entire dish/mount on the pole East 10-15 degrees the back then West 10-15 degrees. If no SQ is noted, reduce or increase the elevation by one degree and repeat the SLOW sweep East/West. Repeat until the Signal Quality is detected and optimized. You may need to adjust the elevation +/-5 degrees and repeat the SLOW sweep.

Hope this helps!

Use the ASC1 to drive the dish approx 19 degrees west of the top of the arc (194w) and check that the dish face is aimed at approx. 40 degrees elevation
Do NOT use the actuator after this.
Rotate the whole dish and mount.
Adjust the dish Elevation (Latitude angle)
Back and forth as needed to Find a Quality reading and
to maximize the Quality reading.

You'll use the actuator after the zenith sat is peaked, in adjusting the Azimuth.

Hi All,

Here's an update.
I installed the new C1-PLL LNBF that KE4EST so generously gave me.
I installed it per directions indicating that I should set the "0" at the 12 or 6 o'clock posititon at highest part of the arc. I chose to put it at 12 o'clock.
After checking the polar (42 degrees) and declination (48.5 degrees) numbers using an inclinometer and my Stanley iphone level app,
I attached the C band coax and positioned it for 78W (3885V 22999) using another iphone app called Sat Scope. I moved it back and forth several times bit by bit using the positioner...nothing. I even tried moving it by hand...nothing. Each time waiting about 10 seconds for a lock. I'm only getting a signal from my microHD telling me I have an operating LNBF. I then tried 83W (4000V 29126)...nothing.
What should my settings for the microHD be ? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything there.
Thanks in advance.

John

John, you wrote 4000/V/29126 for 83W, it's actually horizontal, not vertical. This transponder is the strongest for me at 83W, right around 70Q on my MicroHD.

I'm thinking one of these,
IMG_2034.JPG
el cheapo meters would help you out.While it won't tell you what or where you're looking at,it will show you've found a signal,without waiting..Once you find,something,do a blind scan,see what you come up with and you should be able to figure out what you're pointing at.Once you know where it's pointed you can go from there to get it pointed where you want it.

Hi All,

Thanks once again for all your suggestions...really appreciate the input.
Today is a washout in my area heavy rains expected.:(
. Raine...as for 83W I meant to post that feed at 4000/H/29126, as that was what I was using.
Brian and FaT Air...I will try your suggestions next time I'm out at the dish.
waylew...I did entertain the idea of that cheapo sat meter, but will hold off on that for now.
I'm committed to getting this dish up and running.

John

Sure could use some rain here -- we're burning up....

John, I will give you my digital level if you think it would help. It will accurately tell you the dish elevation. Just let me know and its yours -- I will mail it to you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.