Cam Newton Allegations

From what I have heard, they are going to be hard to prove.

Sounds like some really bad stuff. The kid is one good performance against Alabama away from winning the Heisman, but it sounds like he may be doing the Reggie Bush rental plan.

Sandra

The FBI does not get involved unless they have something... Where there's smoke......
But what would they have? Paying off the kid's family doesn't break any laws.
NCAA rules have no legal bearing.

His family is a lot smarter than Reggie Bush's, as verifying a cash payment is impossible as the NCAA has no power to look at someone's bank account.

His family is a lot smarter than Reggie Bush's, as verifying a cash payment is impossible as the NCAA has no power to look at someone's bank account.

Not claiming the income is indeed a crime.

Also, legally the NCAA can not look at your account but, you can be suspended for non-compliance.

Sounds to me like Newton was reckless when he was at Florida, turned it around at Juco and now he is a victim of his greedy old man.

I do not know what they have. But the FBI does not get involved unless something is smelly....or unless something BIGGER is involved.

Is paying money to an escrow account not to be touched until Cam is out of college or in the NFL the same as paying a NCAA player when they are not allowed to be paid?

I think the dad is involved just as a way to temporarily keep the money away from the kid so he doesn't lose NCAA eligibility or break NCAA rules.

Not claiming the income is indeed a crime.
Yes, but when was the money paid? If it was in 2009, then taxes aren't due yet. If earlier, no biggee, just file for an amended tax statement for 2008.

The FBI does not investigate unreported income of that low a level, that would be the IRS.

Plus, tax records are private, so the NCAA can't touch them either.

Is paying money to an escrow account not to be touched until Cam is out of college or in the NFL the same as paying a NCAA player when they are not allowed to be paid?

I think the dad is involved just as a way to temporarily keep the money away from the kid so he doesn't lose NCAA eligibility or break NCAA rules.
That would still violate NCAA rules.

Personally, I doubt the whole set of alligations. This seems to be just the typical poison that SEC teams tell recruits (don't go to *, they are going on probation, etc), coupled with petty jealousy on the part of Alabama's fanbase (and Tide fans and graduates dominate the local media in Alabama).

However, I do want to comment on the tax angle. IMHO, this is the unreported and undiscussed angle to college cheating. Both the giver and receiver of unreported income violate multiple IRS (and parallel state, in the 45 states that have income taxes) laws and regulations.

The first time some rich booster and some pro player are perpwalked into a federal courthouse is when we get serious about fixing this issue.

Personally, I doubt the whole set of alligations. This seems to be just the typical poison that SEC teams tell recruits (don't go to *, they are going on probation, etc), coupled with petty jealousy on the part of Alabama's fanbase (and Tide fans and graduates dominate the local media in Alabama)...
I think it may be more than that. People are coming forward outside of Alabama, and as early as last January from some sources:
Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, said in separate phone conversations that his college choice would be part of a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year. Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program.

SamCdbs said:
I say that the Kellogg Company is run by space aliens. My buddy Tim says the same thing.

Now you have "sources" that have said that. It therefore has to be true.

True. As of now. The same thing.

I think it may be more than that. People are coming forward outside of Alabama, and as early as last January from some sources:

Exactly, most of the coverage on this is coming from national media (although there is alot of in state coverage as well).
As far as petty jealousy on the part of the Bama fan base, I havent seen it.
While I am no Barn fan, I would still pull for them given the chance for them to win the title (considering we cant get it).

I say that the Kellogg Company is run by space aliens. My buddy Tim says the same thing.

Now you have "sources" that have said that. It therefore has to be true.
No one is saying it has to be true. I am well aware there are a lot of sources coming forward that have an agenda against, or a bias toward, certain players, teams, and the SEC. But it's foolish just to stick your head in the sand and dismiss it as "typical SEC poison". The truth, good or bad, will come out in the end regardless of what anyone says now (including your buddy Tim ;)). Personally, I hope the kid is innocent, and I would think most SEC fans do too, including Bama fans.

Last edited:
Personally, I hope the kid is innocent, and I would think most SEC fans do to, including Bama fans.

This Bama fan does. I would hope that he has turned his life around and has a positive impact on those he interacts with. And it would totally suck for the other kids on that team to have their hard work thrown away IF this was true and they had to give up the wins (and the season at this point).

We won't know the truth here for at least a year. Remember the Reggie Bush case? Is anybody really sure what happened there? Same thing will happen here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)